• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport

kingslug

Well..one way to beat the parking and drive up lcc is to stay up there...unfortunately its a bit expensive..but may be worth it...i can stay for free at several friends houses but this recent insanity may force me to pay...
A trip to Altabird is going to cost a lot now..
Yup..another first world problem

kingslug

Ive been going there for 20 years and while the road was always a little nuts its clearly worse now.
Getting up was usualy ok..after a storm or during one was another matter..

Edd

Are weekday crowds also bad? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

we are doing a ~10 ski day utah trip in feb and we have a check in sunday check out wednesday snowbird lodge at the base of snowbird situation for part of the trip. hoping for huge dumps overnight while we sleep at the base. we're less than a mile from the base of solitude in a cabin for thursday - saturday, then about 10 miles from powmow from saturday - monday.

Smellytele

Pretty sure Keystone still has free parking. And I thought there were a few free places at Vail such as Frontage road on the other side of I70. Breck has the free airport parking lot. A-Basin is free. Isn't Mary Jane parking free? And outer lots at Winter Park? Free parking at Aspen too, it's just at many of these places you have to park far away for free and ride a shuttle to lifts.

Loveland I thought had free parking too. I believe a couple of years ago I had some free parking at Beaver creek too.

jimk

Powder days and weekends

Are weekday crowds also bad? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Weekday free parking at Snowbird is usually fine unless more than 6" new snow, then can be busy. Weekends without new snow are often fine except in the heart of the season when conditions are primo. Weekends with new snow are getting pretty bad, if more than 1 foot new they can be real bad with road closures, big back ups, avi mitigation, etc.

we are doing a ~10 ski day utah trip in feb and we have a check in sunday check out wednesday snowbird lodge at the base of snowbird situation for part of the trip. hoping for huge dumps overnight while we sleep at the base. we're less than a mile from the base of solitude in a cabin for thursday - saturday, then about 10 miles from powmow from saturday - monday.
You should be good. Have a nice time. I hope to be skiing the Bird most of Feb.
Loveland I thought had free parking too. I believe a couple of years ago I had some free parking at Beaver creek too.
You are correct, free at Loveland AFAIK. Most of BC went pay-parking last season, but I know one last slopeside free lot. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure there is any ski area with absolutely no free parking. Anybody? Even Solitude has street parking on Big Cottonwood Drive, although it sounds like you have to get there early now to get halfway close to base area.

kingslug

This is why we go to PC as a base..yrs tge epic pass is a big factor..but 7300 acres is also a big factor..that and no crazy canyon drive...PC...gets snow..and they have steeps..jupiter peak is a 45 degree drop and an easy climb..other areas have plenty of vertical..i prefer more runs and less crowds now..altabird..midweek

thetrailboss

Staff member
I believe trailboss was being ironic.

Everybody park on the shoulder instead of paying to park in the lot.

Exactly. How Alterra fix the crowding problem at Solitude? By dumping it on the rest of us. These are folks who don't want to pay to park and are on the side of Utah 190 causing a real safety issue, especially in weather.

BenedictGomez

How Alterra fix the crowding problem at Solitude? By dumping it on the rest of us. These are folks who don't want to pay to park and are on the side of Utah 190 causing a real safety issue, especially in weather.

The best part was only announcing the not-insignificant fee after everyone had paid in full for their non-refundable season passes. LOL.

The second best part is they're trying to pawn it off as being done for the environment, though reading the FB announcement, there were some people stupid enough to actually believe that.

Cornhead

not-insignificant

I believe the word is significant, irregardless [emoji6], are you sure this isn't Platty's access road? Oh, wait, I think they park on both sides there. I think they got rid of the $10 parking in the lot near the lodge at Gore.

As far as all this consolidation goes, I'm not a fan. Now if Greek sells to one, and Elk sells to the other, I might change my tune. If that were to happen, I'd alternate between Epic and Ikon. I am happy that Greek is now a Freedom Pass member. I ask everyone with a season pass at Greek if they are aware. Most aren't, Greek doesn't really advertise the perk, and Greek still isn't listed as a mountain on the Freedom Pass website. Hopefully there won't be a hassle trying to redeem. Of the three east coast mountains, Bolton Valley, Magic, and Plattekill, from past experience I know where to anticipate a hassle, Platty.

For any other Freedom Pass members here, don't expect to be comped at Platty on a "Powderdaize", I was denied after Stella as a Freedom Pass member. Apparently Laszlo doesn't know the meaning of unrestricted. He claimed it was a "special day", not normally open.tapatalk_1576407197924.jpeg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app