Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    There's a new factor to the equation for next year - "EPIC for Everyone". Advance purchase 1-7 day "pass" valid at all Vail owned resorts, which at its best can get daily rate to $106. Not exactly a bargain, but way lower than walk up or short-term advance purchase.
    Actually, the epic day pass non holiday can get the day rates down to $89 adult and $47 child.

Speaking of pricing out new skiers, how many children/young adults actually learn how to ski at the major resorts? I got to believe that the majority of people start skiing at their local smaller feeder hills. Most of those places are not associated with Vail or Alterra and the some that are, still have very reasonable day rates. Do we honestly think that a bunch of high school kids are traveling up to Stowe to try out skiing or just heading over to Mountain Creek? All the parents that I know down here in PA take their kids to the local places to introduce their kids to skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Speaking of pricing out new skiers, how many children/young adults actually learn how to ski at the major resorts? I got to believe that the majority of people start skiing at their local smaller feeder hills. Most of those places are not associated with Vail or Alterra and the some that are, still have very reasonable day rates. Do we honestly think that a bunch of high school kids are traveling up to Stowe to try out skiing or just heading over to Mountain Creek? All the parents that I know down here in PA take their kids to the local places to introduce their kids to skiing.
    Disagree.

And I can tell you when I worked at Stowe a ****ton of first-time-on-skis folks showed-up every week.

Hell, by the time I even learned of a Magic or a Plattekill for the first time I was already an advanced skier. It turns out, major corporations spend millions of dollars on marketing for a reason.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Most people are coming from NYC and Boston, they don't have feeder hills.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    Most people are coming from NYC and Boston, they don't have feeder hills.
    Don’t know much about Boston, but there are lots of local hills in the Triststate area.

Boston area has Blue Hills, Bradford, Ward and Nashoba. Wachusette used to be, but they price it almost as high as much larger areas in NH.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Don’t know much about Boston, but there are lots of local hills in the Triststate area.
    In fact, more ski areas in NY than any other state. Many are small feeder hills.

But perhaps like skiur, they don’t know there’re feeder hills nearby. So they go to the only ones they heard of, Stowe etc.

Bradford, Ward Hill, Blue Hills and Nashoba are the definition of feeder hill. I'll bet they did a combined 200,000 lessons this year...probably more. And the vast majority kids levels 1-4. One would think the larger areas would pay more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver85 View Post
    I was probably the poster child a few weeks ago for why resorts charge such high walk-up rates. Planned a last minute trip (like 10 days in advance) out west to ski with friends. Was my only trip out west and don't have IKON or EPIC. Knew we were going to be at PCMR or DV, but didn't have a day by day plan or even how many days at each resort, only than we would figure it out day or two before the actual ski day where we'd go. And even when we did for example purchase tickets online the night before, the "discount" off the walk up rates was only like $5. That plus eating in the lodges was pretty costly. Interestingly, PCMR food prices were now pretty much the same as DV, but portion sizes and quality at DV were much better.
    Interesting post and I applaud your candidness. I am so far removed from this mindset that I am curious how it came about for you. I usually have next season mostly planned out before the last one ends. Did someone propose the trip to you and entice you to participate late in the schedule? Were you attracted to the good snow fall out west this year and wanted to storm chase? Did an unexpected opening in your work allow for free time? Did you come into some money
    Thanks.

About the mega passes, all I can say is the numerous western resorts I've been to this winter (A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Park City, Big Sky are all hopping. Business is good out here!
    Last edited by jimk; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information