Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Interesting post and I applaud your candidness. I am so far removed from this mindset that I am curious how it came about for you. I usually have next season mostly planned out before the last one ends.
    Ive never planned it out that far in advance. I wait to see if an area is having a good overall season first. I could see reserving ahead at a cat skiing operation in BC kind of place, which may have limited spots.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    In fact, more ski areas in NY than any other state. Many are small feeder hills.
    NYS has plenty of small feeder hills, but NYC does not......not many people get their start at campgaw which would be the closest small hill to NYC, People from NYC (which makes up the an awful lot of people going to VT) are going to hunter, mt snow, killington etc because that is where their friends and family are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I’ve never planned it out that far in advance. I wait to see if an area is having a good overall season first. I could see reserving ahead at a cat skiing operation in BC kind of place, which may have limited spots.
    I used to do that.

But the mega-pass had changed it. The price of paying last minute lift tickets means I could ski twice as many days/places for the same cost if I’m on a pass. So now I pick a pass that has a wide geographic diversity and wait for snow to fall on one of the mountains included in the pass. That used to mean Mountain Collective, then MAX/IKON. Though with latest Vail acquisition in different regions, EPIC is also becoming an option.

I think I maybe what Alterra was targeting. Vacationer who wants the price break of advanced purchase with still the freedom to chase snow.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    NYS has plenty of small feeder hills, but NYC does not......not many people get their start at campgaw which would be the closest small hill to NYC, People from NYC (which makes up the an awful lot of people going to VT) are going to hunter, mt snow, killington etc because that is where their friends and family are going.
    Actually, Thunder Ridge is closer. And it does get plenty of beginners from NYC.

But like I said, most people don’t know about these feeder hills. Hunter, Stratton and Okemo are the ads you see in the subways and buses.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I used to do that.

But the mega-pass had changed it. The price of paying last minute lift tickets means I could ski twice as many days/places for the same cost if Im on a pass. So now I pick a pass that has a wide geographic diversity and wait for snow to fall on one of the mountains included in the pass. That used to mean Mountain Collective, then MAX/IKON. Though with latest Vail acquisition in different regions, EPIC is also becoming an option.

I think I maybe what Alterra was targeting. Vacationer who wants the price break of advanced purchase with still the freedom to chase snow.
    Buying a Ikon-like Pass makes perfect sense for many of us, but I read jimks post as committing to an area with plane tix and hotel reservations the season before.

Its not a huge gamble but weve seen dry seasons in recent years (Tahoe, Utah).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Actually, Thunder Ridge is closer. And it does get plenty of beginners from NYC.

But like I said, most people don’t know about these feeder hills. Hunter, Stratton and Okemo are the ads you see in the subways and buses.
    You can take Metro North from Grand Central to Thunder Ridge. They will pick you up at the Patterson train station on weekends. You are right though, most people don't know about these small hills because they lack the advertising budgets. Stratton spent big money this year on NYC/LI area advertising. Their ads are everywhere. CT has a bunch of feeder hills, but again no one knows about them because there is little to no advertising. You would think the CT Tourism Board could put together some kind of inexpensive campaign to promote them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Buying a Ikon-like Pass makes perfect sense for many of us, but I read jimk’s post as committing to an area with plane tix and hotel reservations the season before.

It’s not a huge gamble but we’ve seen dry seasons in recent years (Tahoe, Utah).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Not so much plane tix and hotels, but more lift ticket strategy; such as will I be using a megapass,, liftopia, four-packs, etc. Maybe I'm weird to plan trips that cost hundreds or thousands in travel expenses by starting with the cost of tix??? I have talked with folks who do last minute trips and pay full for tix, but use hotel or airline points to get most other costs low or free and they do very well on overall costs that way.

2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Maybe I'm weird to plan trips that cost hundreds or thousands in travel expenses by starting with the cost of tix???
    It isn't weird. The per day cost of lift ticket, hotel and car rental are all in the same level. So any obvious saving in one category frees up money to splurge on the other.

I have talked with folks who do last minute trips and pay full for tix, but use hotel or airline points to get most other costs low or free and they do very well on overall costs that way.
    That would explain why people using hotel/airline points can afford to splurge on lift tickets.

Also I said I maybe the target of Alterra, vacationer who wants the price break of advanced purchase with still the freedom to chase snow. My actual usage of the pass doesn't exactly fit that pattern. Instead of doing the same number of days at a destination of best snow, I actually try to use the pass for many more days! (as many as I can find time for, even at the expense of considerable additional travel cost)

I am part of the "crowd" making mountains a lot more busy!

Don't forget Mt. Peter! We lost Tuxedo Ridge a couple seasons back unfortunately, but with Thunder Ridge, Campgaw, Mt. Peter, Mountain Creek, there's still a few spots to play near the city.

Thread Information