• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another casualty of the mega pass. This is really just an excuse to create additional revenue, but if volume hadn't greatly increased due to the mega pass, they wouldn't be in this position to fleece people.

Well, I was just about to ask the logical question of, "what are you going to do with all that money?" I was hoping that it would be used for the transportation issue, but I think you are right.

BenedictGomez

Well, I was just about to ask the logical question of, "what are you going to do with all that money?" I was hoping that it would be used for the transportation issue, but I think you are right.

I'm definitely right. The next thing that's coming, is when we find out more information, I guarantee they're going to say that in addition to the stated goal of reducing traffic, that this is also "good for the environment" and try to tie a social justice component into it too. That's S.O.P. with these things, and I'm always amazed how many truly gullible people there are that actually swallow that.

If they wanted to make it less obvious that it's a total cash grab, they would just do this on the weekend, or maybe the weekend + powder days, but there's no reason to charge every car $20 for a random Wednesday in March. Total cash grab.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

It dawned on me today, that these mega passes are bad for another aspect of the skiing industry, the ski club.

Part of the reason why many people join these clubs is for all the discounted ski club days and for all the lift ticket purchase discounts. Given we've seen many ski club days killed off that has to be a negative. Also, assuming you're even allowed to buy discounted tickets anymore, the growth of the mega pass makes discounted tickets less necessary as more people gobble up season passes. This too has to be negative for ski clubs.

Anyone here a long-time member of a ski club, and if so, do you know if membership is down this year versus say 5 or 8 years ago? I'd like to test my hypothesis.

Edd

I'm definitely right. The next thing that's coming, is when we find out more information, I guarantee they're going to say that in addition to the stated goal of reducing traffic, that this is also "good for the environment" and try to tie a social justice component into it too. That's S.O.P. with these things, and I'm always amazed how many truly gullible people there are that actually swallow that.

If they wanted to make it less obvious that it's a total cash grab, they would just do this on the weekend, or maybe the weekend + powder days, but there's no reason to charge every car $20 for a random Wednesday in March. Total cash grab.

They are charging less if more people are in the car. Also, donating some of these profits. Cash grab sure, but there are benefits here.

BenedictGomez

I'm actually pretty surprised by this bit:

Those who wish to carpool will be able to use a new ride-sharing app. Solitude is investing in the app to help skiers and snowboarders get to and from the resort with ease

I'm not a lawyer, but isnt this potentially (god-forbid) opening them up to huge legal exposure?

Jully

Honestly I'm not horribly opposed to weekend cash grab tactics for parking given it is now SO limited in BCC. The traffic jams getting down are worrysome and something needs to be done. If a resort can reduce the number of cars by a small percent and make money in the process, I'm fine with that. $150 for a season parking pass for passholders is not bad too. This strikes me as a charge against visitors and might push some more of them to use the ski bus or generate money for the resort. Fine with me.

However, midweek parking charges annoy me. When congestion is not an issue... don't charge.

Jully

I'm actually pretty surprised by this bit:

I'm not a lawyer, but isnt this potentially (god-forbid) opening them up to huge legal exposure?

I thought about this too. Snowbird launched a ride share app last year, so it has been done before. No idea about the legal ramifications.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Honestly I'm not horribly opposed to weekend cash grab tactics for parking given it is now SO limited in BCC. The traffic jams getting down are worrysome and something needs to be done. If a resort can reduce the number of cars by a small percent and make money in the process, I'm fine with that. $150 for a season parking pass for passholders is not bad too. This strikes me as a charge against visitors and might push some more of them to use the ski bus or generate money for the resort. Fine with me.

However, midweek parking charges annoy me. When congestion is not an issue... don't charge.

Yeah, this is a new problem. BCC was NEVER a problem before last season.

FBGM

Such a dick move. Ride my damn snowmobile there and park it where I want. Fuck you’re $20

I’ll just park on the road. Or park at Brighton.

Cash grab. Right after pass deadlines. Super cock move. Would expect from Vail not these guys.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I love this sport, and want a high-quality experience. IMO, if you're a season passholder and it's $150 for a seasonal parking pass, if that decreases skiers on the hill and decreases travel time up the road both by 20% that's a win. Now if traffic does not improve and there's just as many skiers on the hill then yeah I'd be pissed. But if it actually does decrease those figures it's a small price for a higher quality experience.

And yes this is a corporate money grab.

bdfreetuna

So if you have a large SUV with capacity to hold 4+ skiers with gear you pay less...

If I roll up in my Subaru solo because no friends on powder days I pay 4x the rate?

Not that it's in my near term plans but I will never ski Solitude for engaging in social engineering at the expense of those who can least afford it (and least willing to tolerate it).

machski

It's a bit ironic too that the only unlimited Ikon pass resort in the canyons is the one instituting pay for parking. Visitors can avoid that by skiing Brighton and just taking the interconnect to ski Solitude. But with only a Max of 7 days at Brighton, locals cannot do that often. Based on that perspective, seems targeted to the local skiers to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's a bit ironic too that the only unlimited Ikon pass resort in the canyons is the one instituting pay for parking. Visitors can avoid that by skiing Brighton and just taking the interconnect to ski Solitude. But with only a Max of 7 days at Brighton, locals cannot do that often. Based on that perspective, seems targeted to the local skiers to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

You just made me realize that now Brighton and LCC is going to be bad again because folks will be too cheap to pay for parking at Solitude. And once again Alterra dropped this change on the rest of us with no warning.
Just like last year. Awesome. :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Let the games begin....from their FB page:

Leslie Warnock Price We purchased 7 passes for our large family. We would have NEVER purchased it if we had known that Solitude, would start charing for parking. No where in the fine print did it talk about a fee for parking.
I understand that the canyon and the parking lot at Solitude is completely maxed out. I understand that the goal is to encourage carpooling. I hope that encouraging more bus riders is NOT the goal because the nearby bus lots are maxed out as well. The buses are so slow and a nightmare with kids. There have been no improvements made to the parking situation in either the Solitude or Bus lots!
We obviously carpool each time we come. It is completely unethical to add a parking fee now at this point when the passes have been paid for and are non-refundable and it's so late in the year that we've lost our options to purchase elsewhere.
My family has had passes at Alta the past several years and at Park City before that. We decided to try the Epic pass and now we regret that! If this is not made right we will make sure to never buy Epic or Solitude again nor let anyone we know make the same mistake.
Please tell me how you plan to make this right. Please do not suggest that I buy the $150 parking pass, that is ridiculous.

Liz Chappell Ence Outrageous parking fees? And you are telling us now after we purchased our season pass. I certainly wouldn't have purchased my pass here if I knew it would add a significant amount to the cost. I get the traffic problem but what are the options for locals who ski for a few hours mid week? Where do you park to carpool to catch the bus? From the small crowded parking lot at the mouth of the canyon which is usually full? Can I get a refund please!

thetrailboss

Staff member
:popcorn:

Cory Lynn Bluemel I would have bought the Epic Pass if I knew you were going to be screwing over single skiers so hard, and now the parking season pass doesn't even guarantee a parking spot? before we just showed up early. Also you won't even make it a physical pass? i can only attach it to two cars? Some people dont just drive the same 2 cars all winter or only own 2. This was a super bogus move to pull AFTER selling season passes. Very manipulative and underhanded for a resort so many love.

Michael Hart Tell us in advance. I want my season pass money back. I will never ski Solitude again.

thetrailboss

Staff member
:popcorn:

Cory Lynn Bluemel I would have bought the Epic Pass if I knew you were going to be screwing over single skiers so hard, and now the parking season pass doesn't even guarantee a parking spot? before we just showed up early. Also you won't even make it a physical pass? i can only attach it to two cars? Some people dont just drive the same 2 cars all winter or only own 2. This was a super bogus move to pull AFTER selling season passes. Very manipulative and underhanded for a resort so many love.

Michael Hart Tell us in advance. I want my season pass money back. I will never ski Solitude again.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Solitude's GM was quoted in that article as saying this was an experiment like jumping off a cliff and seeing what happens...should be fun to watch!

Oh she has crashed for sure!

Amy Swindle This has NOTHING to do with the environment at all. Disneyland in California charges like $140 for a ticket and $30 for parking because of CORPORATE GREED. Stop using your fake "it's for the environment!!" to justify this outrageous $20 parking. You guys are used cars salesman. "hey, buy the IKON pass in March". .... oh and then MONTHS later.. "pay us $20 EVERY TIME YOU PARK HERE too." Nice bait and switch there.

And they are deleting posts on FB. Not a great move at all.

Phil Lust Not sure why you think it’s a good idea to charge us for parking and then delete posts from people who are unhappy about it. You made this mess you should be able to take some backlash for it.
You deceived all of us by allowing us to purchase season passes before announcing an additional parking charge! Shame on you! Solitude is known as the locals mountain and this is how you treat us!?! You should all be ashamed of how you handled this announcement.
You SHOULD be offering all Ikon and season pass holders who purchased before your announcement a free parking pass OR announce you are starting this for the 2020-2021 season. I can guarantee this isn’t the last you’ll hear from all of us. So you should stop deleting posts from YOUR LOCALS and face the music!!

Troy Davis Dear Solitude,
I’ve loved you since I was a kid, for 40 years I’ve skied your slopes and enjoyed our time together. Skiing around cookie monster and big bird through Sesame Street, watching Eagle Express be the first detachable quad. There was so much excitement in our life together. I went along with the changes when you stretched your wings and tore down the a-frame at main street, built the village, and moonbeam lodge. I stuck with you when you went from a family owned resort to a corporation, then to another corporation. I even agreed to let us see other people when you took away my season pass and said in the name of progress we need to use the Ikon pass.
I like progress and I have loved the fact that through all these changes I could still show up on a Sunday and not have lines, ski a Tuesday and you feel like its 1990 again. Inviting the rest of the world into our relationship has come with a heavy price on the parking lot. So I understand when you tell me you need to make more changes and begin to charge for parking, I get it, and I support your decision to do that. We all knew something had to give. It’s not about the fact you’re going to charge, it’s when you decided to announce it. I committed to you Solitude and you committed to me (you even sent me an ikon pass to prove your commitment to our relationship, it has my photo on it). But now you tell me that my commitment isn’t good enough and I’ll need to commit even more to have the privilege of loving you. And you made this statement AFTER all our agreements were made, we had an understanding. I feel violated.
Please provide a no-cost parking pass for those that love you and have committed to you this year. If you’re worth it then you can tell me in advance next year and maybe I’ll be ready to continue loving the new you.
Always,
Troy