Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Just exactly how is that done? Chairlifts are designed for a specific capacity and have to pass load tests prior to use. Or is the implication that they've been running their lifts under capacity until now?
    For whatever reason the resort desires, not all lifts operate at maximum capacity, and often that is based on how many chairs they have on the haul rope (especially with detachable lifts) or sometimes the speed at which the haul rope travels. Both options can effectively keep the numbers of chairs that load/unload per hour at a quantity below what the lift is capable of handling to attempt to limit downhill volume.

The simplest example of this that I can think of, is the Bluebird at Mount Snow. Those bubbles load every 9 seconds, so if there's an hour of continuous operation with full chairs, it will put 2400 people an hour at the Summit. The lift is capable of loading a chair every 6 seconds, which would put 3600 people an hour at the Summit if they ordered more chairs to allow for 6 second spacing. The haul rope would still operate at the same 1000 ft/min it does.

So yes, sometimes, they can add more chairs, thus reducing the spacing between the chairs and the time between loading/unloading, and still have the lift operate within its safety parameters and capability all with just some work to reprogram the loading/unloading mechanisms in a nut shell
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Just exactly how is that done? Chairlifts are designed for a specific capacity and have to pass load tests prior to use. Or is the implication that they've been running their lifts under capacity until now?
    Happens a lot, resorts can save a few bucks by ordering less than a full complement of carriers for a brand new lift. Bretton Woods new Gondola will not have a full complement of cabins compared to the design capacity when it opens. Loon's North Peak Quad when built did not have a full complement of chairs (it does now) nor did the current Gondola when it opened (it does now as well). Another example in the East was the Six Pack at Ragged, it was originally ordered with half the carriers it could handle IIRC. I know they have added chairs there as well, not sure it is up to a full complement or not now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Of note, when you receive a lift profile from an engineer it has capacity (in PPH), speed, and # of carriers, etc. This is all fed into the HP of the motor(s) required, number of towers, their height and profile, diameter of haul rope, etc and so on. It is always designed at max capacity, and can be cut down as desired. A load test is required whenever a capacity change is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Of note, when you receive a lift profile from an engineer it has capacity (in PPH), speed, and # of carriers, etc. This is all fed into the HP of the motor(s) required, number of towers, their height and profile, diameter of haul rope, etc and so on. It is always designed at max capacity, and can be cut down as desired. A load test is required whenever a capacity change is made.
    Exactly, so it will be interesting to see if the additional load testing happens, or if that article was just a bunch of crap.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    For whatever reason the resort desires, not all lifts operate at maximum capacity
    Or you can be like Jay Peak & operate your aerial tram for more than 50 years beyond its' rated safety capacity.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Or you can be like Jay Peak & operate your aerial tram for more than 50 years beyond its' rated safety capacity.
    ?

I am pretty sure that all of the required safety upgrades have been made and it still is in operable condition. Granted, they did have some significant issues in the recent past that I think are resolved.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    ?

I am pretty sure that all of the required safety upgrades have been made and it still is in operable condition. Granted, they did have some significant issues in the recent past that I think are resolved.
    Yeah, it's called a 50 or 60 passenger box that is only allowed to carry what, 40 people at a time now?

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Yeah, it's called a 50 or 60 passenger box that is only allowed to carry what, 40 people at a time now?

So I recall that issue, but wasn't that resolved? Or was the issue that the weight limits when calculated way back when factored in people who were of a LIGHTER average weight now compared to our current average weight (due to lots of poutine or McDonald's, or whatever )
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Adding more chairs to the lifts will ensure that next season skiers complain because the trails are overcrowded too.
    How is Aspen for crowded trails now?

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    So I recall that issue, but wasn't that resolved? Or was the issue that the weight limits when calculated way back when factored in people who were of a LIGHTER average weight now compared to our current average weight (due to lots of poutine or McDonald's, or whatever )
    It wound up that apparently as I recall, they forgot to calculate in the water tanks for the summit lodge on each tram. And something to do with the anchoring not being rated for the actual cabin weight. I'm not sure they ever redid the anchoring when they switched out cabins years ago. The control systems are all new and up to standards now.

Thread Information