Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 16

AlpineZone

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Build two gondola lines with one terminus between LCC & BCC with a large parking lot.

Depending upon whether you're going to Snowbird (at best) or Brighton (at worst), you're probably looking at something like 17 to 25 minutes with a guesstimated 28 km/h speed. Note, those aerial times are quite comparable to the landspeed times, so it's not a time burden.

There are two problems with the above, but neither is entirely insurmountable:

1) It's very expensive, but resorts can chip in, taxpayers can chip in, and you can charge a modest $2 per ride.
    2) Eco extremists
    Ultra fiscally conservative state + environmentalists = no change with what we have.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Now I wonder if it will eventually drive people away from LCC/BCC. Jackson is easier to get to as well as PC/Canyons. I like Colorado but getting stuck at the airport and the hairy drives over mountain passes keeps me from there. I could probably ski JH forever and not get bored. And I didn't find the crowding too insane last year and it dumped the whole week. Then there is always BC if you really want to get away from it all. Revelstoke was..rather uncrowded when I was there and skied Pow all week.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Ultra fiscally conservative state + environmentalists = no change with what we have.
    If the population forecast for doubling in 20 years is accurate, that's a massive problem. Even without better people-moving strategies, I wonder if the front 4 ski areas will need to enforce maximum capacity limits & turn people away.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Works for Powder Mountain...2000 and thats it.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Now I wonder if it will eventually drive people away from LCC/BCC. Jackson is easier to get to as well as PC/Canyons. I like Colorado but getting stuck at the airport and the hairy drives over mountain passes keeps me from there. I could probably ski JH forever and not get bored. And I didn't find the crowding too insane last year and it dumped the whole week. Then there is always BC if you really want to get away from it all. Revelstoke was..rather uncrowded when I was there and skied Pow all week.
    The only issue is that anything in Jackson (lodging, food, etc.) is expensive as hell.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    If the population forecast for doubling in 20 years is accurate, that's a massive problem. Even without better people-moving strategies, I wonder if the front 4 ski areas will need to enforce maximum capacity limits & turn people away.
    Maximum limits...rrriiiggghhhtt. Snowbird would never do that (actually they did on the 4th of July this year to their credit).
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    We have found that the price pf the plane ticket there has gone through the roof..thats the worst part of this. Prices hit $1000.00 when its good out there. That is insane.
    Uh, yeah, that is. I personally prefer CO, Tahoe, and BC to UT for a variety of reasons that are a matter of opinion. Expensive flights would keep me away from there for good.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    The only issue is that anything in Jackson (lodging, food, etc.) is expensive as hell.
    It’s only “expensive” compared to SLC.

Compared to Colorado (Summit county, never mind Vail/Aspen), Jackson is “cheap”!

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    It’s only “expensive” compared to SLC.

Compared to Colorado (Summit county, never mind Vail/Aspen), Jackson is “cheap”!
    It's relative, sure.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Well..this sport of ours ain't cheap. Not if you want to ski the world. I don't care about amenities..don't mind a 2 star hotel and boring food..I just care about the skiing...the Mrs though ..has something to say about that.
    I used to stay in the extended stay hotel in Union park when it was 40 bucks a night...your room might have had a chalk outline in it but whatever..lived on Cliff Bars and 7 Eleven..and the skiing was great and uncrowded...things have changed a bit now..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information