Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 17

AlpineZone

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Works for Powder Mountain...2000 and thats it.
    actually its 1500 for day passes. How that place makes it work is REAL ESTATE!!!!

We don’t need to encourage MORE folks to ski our Utah areas with the Ikon pass, Ski Utah:

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I got that email & was JUST coming here to post that! Knew you would love it.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I got that email & was JUST coming here to post that! Knew you would love it.
    As you have said, this year is going to be the test for the pass. If it is an average snow season, we shall see if it really is conditions that drive people. However, we’re already now slightly ahead of average so far. It is still pretty early out here but no problems yet with crowding. I still feel that it is an issue of too many people using this too good to be true pass and taking advantage of it at the expense of folks who commit to one mountain.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    As you have said, this year is going to be the test for the pass. If it is an average snow season, we shall see if it really is conditions that drive people. However, we’re already now slightly ahead of average so far. It is still pretty early out here but no problems yet with crowding. I still feel that it is an issue of too many people using this too good to be true pass and taking advantage of it at the expense of folks who commit to one mountain.

Regardless of how good or not so good weather wise the next 2 weeks leading into the Christmas to New Year's week is, that week, and in particular the Friday the 27th through Monday the 30th long weekend in the middle of it, will really give an idea as to the roll of the mega passes has on crowding as that's when the "less than 10 days a season" mega pass crowd will likely be out in full force in addition to what has been out already this year which is more like the more dedicated 20+ days a year mega pass crowd. My hunch is if some of they formerly day/multi day ticket buying crowd that shows up primarily during Holiday times (and is often getting credits to future days since they tire out after 2 days and don't want to ski that 3rd or 4th day) are now on the mega passes, they may be more likely to go out for few more days during a Holiday week, but just for less hours each day, and then hence more folks on the hill each day....

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23 (Mount Southington)

Just want to let every known that this still makes skiing cheaper. Do I need some picture graphs and colorful shapes and lines? Derp derp

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Just want to let every known that this still makes skiing cheaper. Do I need some picture graphs and colorful shapes and lines? Derp derp
    Maybe. But does it make it better?
    And when the independent areas go under, do they then jack the rates?

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Just want to let every known that this still makes skiing cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by trackbiker View Post
    Maybe. But does it make it better?
    A Yugo is "cheaper" than a Corolla.

If the skiing experience remain the same, it's cheaper.

If the skiing experience is worse, it simply means a lower price for a different product.

Just because it's the same mountain doesn't make it the same. A McDonald in the same building that used to be a steak house will cost you less. But will you still go there?

Having said that, I think it's still too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I think it's still too early to tell.

It really isn't. You're conflating the ski experience (which is a valid concern), which the price of skiing.

If we merely focus on price:

For avid skiers, it makes skiing cheaper.
    For the average skier as defined per NSAA data, it makes skiing more expensive.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It really isn't. You're conflating the ski experience (which is a valid concern), which the price of skiing.
    I'm not "conflating" the two.

One is the price, the other is the product. They have an inherent correlation.

You can't "conflate" the price of a burger and the taste of them. In fact, I think there's some "conflating" when you compare the price of two things that aren't the same, and say the inferior one is "cheaper".

Unless, you're only interested in "having" it but not really care about actually enjoying it.

Thread Information