• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport

dlague

Interesting post and I applaud your candidness. I am so far removed from this mindset that I am curious how it came about for you. I usually have next season mostly planned out before the last one ends. Did someone propose the trip to you and entice you to participate late in the schedule? Were you attracted to the good snow fall out west this year and wanted to storm chase? Did an unexpected opening in your work allow for free time? Did you come into some money:p
Thanks.

About the mega passes, all I can say is the numerous western resorts I've been to this winter (A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Park City, Big Sky are all hopping. Business is good out here!
About the end of your post regarding business - hello ya things are hopping for sure. This has been the busiest season so far since we have been out here. Conditions have been phenomenal. As far as mega passes, well I am a huge fan after taking advantage of then for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

As far as mega passes, well I am a huge fan after taking advantage of then for a few years.
You're in Colorado, the base of Epic and Alterra.

What non-mega pass mountain are left? Are there even remotely the same size and diversity of skiing as those included in the mega passes?

BenedictGomez

this is a first for Deer Valley: running out of parking on WEEKDAYS.

2wqf2y.jpg

BenedictGomez

Deer Valley posted this message again today:

The Snow Park Parking Lots are currently full. We encourage guests to use the free public transit system instead of parking

It's March 23rd, yet ski resorts are still packed?

lerops

Somebody told me that DV is asking for “reservations” for Ikon passes. You can’t just show up. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

In an annual update to Aspen City Council on Monday, Mike Kaplan, Skico’s president and CEO, spoke about specifics of last season’s surge of Ikon Pass holders at Aspen-Snowmass resorts. Most of those visitors came on the weekends, choking parking and traffic at Aspen Highlands, as well as lift lines.

Wait, a ski area CEO is actually publicly admitting that a big part of the major increase in crowds is from IKON passholders & not simply due to a great snow year?

WE HAVE A TURD IN THE PUNCHBOWL!

This is NOT a drill.

REPEAT.

We HAVE a turd IN the punchbowl. OVER?

mbedle

Wait, a ski area CEO is actually publicly admitting that a big part of the major increase in crowds is from IKON passholders & not simply due to a great snow year?

WE HAVE A TURD IN THE PUNCHBOWL!

This is NOT a drill.

REPEAT.

We HAVE a turd IN the punchbowl. OVER?

I'm confused, didn't Eldora and Abasin also state that fact when they left the partnership with Vail?

slatham

A-Basin announced leaving EPIC in Feb/March. Joined Ikon a few weeks ago.

Eldora was Ikon last season.I don't recall them ever being Epic but not an expert on that mountains pass status.

Domeskier

I like how he lays the blame on sneaky young Californians and Front Rangers who "look and act like a local," whatever that means.

JimG.

Staff member
Adding more chairs to the lifts will ensure that next season skiers complain because the trails are overcrowded too.

ThinkSnow

Adding more chairs to the lifts will ensure that next season skiers complain because the trails are overcrowded too.
Just exactly how is that done? Chairlifts are designed for a specific capacity and have to pass load tests prior to use. Or is the implication that they've been running their lifts under capacity until now?