Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 14

AlpineZone

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 138 of 138
  1. #131
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,230
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Curious if given your role you've seen data proving the above?

    Because, while is seems entirely logical to the point of obviousness, pretty much every IKON (and EPIC) ski area in Baghdad Bob fashion claim what you say above is entirely false.
    Even Killington got unreasonably crowded on weekends last season because of the Ikon connection. As opposed to being just crowded.

    I wonder what the critical mass of eastern resorts leaving these types of passes would be to make offering them in the east unprofitable.

  2. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Upgrading the Casper lift and adding Teton did not drive hundreds of thousands of people to show up here, mountain collective and Ikon have.
    You know you're spoiled with new lifts when you don't even mention a gondola. Summer visit way up too, Ikon/Mountain Collective the cause???

    https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSRepor...ear)?Park=YELL

    https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSRepor...ear)?Park=GRTE

    Though something seems odd with the Grand Teton stats, why the peak in the late 70's then the sudden drop? Changed their way of counting maybe?

    At any rate it seems the word is out.

  3. #133
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Even Killington got unreasonably crowded on weekends last season because of the Ikon connection. As opposed to being just crowded.

    I wonder what the critical mass of eastern resorts leaving these types of passes would be to make offering them in the east unprofitable.
    Yeah, non of Killington's lift improvements or on hill tunnels drove any curiosity at all to check it out. I seriously doubt a capped Ikon product drove too many added souls to K over the previous Max Pass drive.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  4. #134
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,230
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Yeah, non of Killington's lift improvements or on hill tunnels drove any curiosity at all to check it out. I seriously doubt a capped Ikon product drove too many added souls to K over the previous Max Pass drive.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Forgot the Max pass...as a mostly weekday skier now it is hard to gauge weekend crowds but a few last season were out of control if you chose your terrain unwisely.

  5. #135

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,159
    Max was never really popular as it’s limited days unless you already got a “real” season pass on one of the mountains. And even then, it’s an upgrade that cost extra.

    (It works for a few of us “drifters” who can make do by stitching together the various 5 days from different mountains)

    I don’t recall bumping into herds of MAX pass people on the mountain. In fact, the year I had it, which was the last year before Ikon, everyone I ran into on mountain was still surprised to hear about it for the first time!

    Ikon has the advertising machine that Max did not.

  6. #136
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Max was never really popular as it’s limited days unless you already got a “real” season pass on one of the mountains. And even then, it’s an upgrade that cost extra.

    (It works for a few of us “drifters” who can make do by stitching together the various 5 days from different mountains)

    I don’t recall bumping into herds of MAX pass people on the mountain. In fact, the year I had it, which was the last year before Ikon, everyone I ran into on mountain was still surprised to hear about it for the first time!

    Ikon has the advertising machine that Max did not.
    True on the advertising, but many skiers I know and had met knew about in the least or had the Max pass. I went to Mt. Bachelor two Aprils in a row on it and both times, many of us out skiing that late there were Max pass holders from out East. There was definitely added skiers from it.

    That said, we have Ikon now and it dropped on arguably the best season for almost all regions of the country in years if not ever (rarely does the pacific, rockies and Northeast enjoy the seasons they did all in the same year). In my mind, that makes comparisons to prior Ikon years tough, especially just with a visual gauge. Add to it, most of the Rockies outside of Big Sky and Jackson had miserable ski seasons the year prior, the water gets cloudier. Now, no doubt Ikon has very visual marketing. It doesn't change the fact that one only gets 5 or 7 days at Killington, Sugarbush or the Boyne's. So Ikon alone isn't driving crazy weekends, all weekends. The big weekends JimG refered to at K were likely more related to weather for the weekend and immediately prior than just an Ikon effect.

    Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

  7. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Too bad Snowbird beat them....

    https://www.snowbird.com/ride/
    Why is that bad?

  8. #138
    If I was going to take a WAG I'd say IKON is going to continue to ramp & bite into EPIC far more than Wall Street analysts currently seem to believe.

    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:26 PM.