Article on "mega pass" being bad for the sport - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    It wound up that apparently as I recall, they forgot to calculate in the water tanks for the summit lodge on each tram. And something to do with the anchoring not being rated for the actual cabin weight. I'm not sure they ever redid the anchoring when they switched out cabins years ago. The control systems are all new and up to standards now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I think that the anchoring was fixed a few years ago....
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Actually, Thunder Ridge is closer. And it does get plenty of beginners from NYC.

But like I said, most people don’t know about these feeder hills. Hunter, Stratton and Okemo are the ads you see in the subways and buses.
    now they can go learn indoors in NJ at American Dream!!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    ?

I am pretty sure that all of the required safety upgrades have been made and it still is in operable condition.
    Now, yes.

I'm talking about the 50 consecutive years (which ended recently) that they were (apparently unwittingly) operating the tram beyond its' stated safety weight limit.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Now, yes.

I'm talking about the 50 consecutive years (which ended recently) that they were (apparently unwittingly) operating the tram beyond its' stated safety weight limit.

Good thing these are designed with safety factors...

Now, yes.

Sounds like they were as good at engineering as they were at managing money.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Live, Ski, or Die!

Now, yes.

And speaking of Jay........

https://jaypeakresort.com/resort/blo...tes/nuts-bolts
    Live, Ski, or Die!

One thing that never seems to get mentioned in this discussion when CEOs etc... are "defending" IKON & EPIC in terms of it supposedly not causing crowding, is the fact that both products are still ramping. In IKON's case, the YoY growth is impressive as it's a less mature product.

In other words, if you're an IKON mountain and you thought it was bad in 2018-2019, it's only going to get worse assuming the snow years are somewhat similar.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

It'll be interesting to see how this year pans out. Last year was unique in that virtually everywhere in the country had above average to exceptional winter weather. Well maybe not the Mid Atlantic. But New England, Colorado, Utah, California, the PNW and Upper Rockies all seemed to do well. The economy is also quite good.

The sport as I understand it is still pretty flat from a participation standpoint.

Epic might actually reduce crowds slightly in the MWV. Typical valley skiers from metro Boston might slide some of their business over to Sunapee and Okemo. I can only hope.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information