How do they not... - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'll answer your question with another question, did you live in a bubble as a teenager/early 20 something?
    Yes, that's exactly it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'll answer your question with another question, did you live in a bubble as a teenager/early 20 something?
    Actually, I didn't do anything risky in my teens and 20's. I was too wrapped up in varsity sports to hurt myself doing silly planks.

And of the stupid falls I had in skiing (which is the first "risky" activity I took), some were due to lack of experience to realize what could happen. Sometimes, one may not perceive the possibility a simple jump may not get off the ground at all. So hitting a small obstacle suddenly seems rather stupid.

Back in December, I met a middle age mother in Copper. She only skied 1 week a year. So while athletic and capable as a skier, she didn't have the experience to realize a tiny strip of "yellow dirt" in her path was actually a strip of tile, and was capable to stop her dead in her track. She crashed superman style. It looked rather horrific. And consider she wasn't exactly young, I was somewhat concerned. Fortunately, nothing injured except her pride.

Reality is, skiing CAN BE dangerous if you're very unlucky. Ask Natasha Richardson. Fortunately for most of us, we crash unexpectedly, but managed to get up without injury MOST of the time.

None of my hobbies involves as much falling as skiing. I think activities happening on slippery surface simply has a much higher potential for unexpected falls. Lucky for us, not all falls lead to injury.
    Last edited by abc; Mar 15, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

I'm amazed that I'm alive at all.....skiing might be one of the less risky things I've done.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

If you were video taping me and my crew during our ski bumming years (late 80's) out west you would have caught a lot of video of us tomahawking down slopes with gear spraying out everywhere. It was a daily occurance that one of us (3-4 guys) would have a crash that we'd still be talking about over beers later that day. Add in a lot of stuff like guys hitting bump troughs too hard and double ejecting out of their skis. Etc, etc, etc.

Those wipeouts we just kind of took in stride. It's crazy to think about now but usually after cartwheeling down a slope when you finally came to a stop your first thought wasn't "I could have just died" it was always just "sh1t, how far back up this slope am I going to have to climb to get my poles, skis, hat, googles, gloves, bag of weed, jacket, ..." I hated those climbs. Somehow we just kind of knew that even though we had a lot of epic crashes we were never really going to get hurt. It was probably because we were young and stupid and that was not really very accurate anyway. Anyone of us could have broken our necks 10 times over from those crashes. But we were too stupid & happy to think like that. The people on the chairlift watching one of our wipeouts were probably saying the same thing that is being said in this thread; "those idiots are going to kill themselves." We didn't and no one ever got really hurt other than some bruises and sore muscles.

No real explanation for it. The only one I'd suggest is that I think the act of skiing lends itself to staying loose and absorbing what the slope throws at you. Young, in shape skiers who eat it hard are more likely to "naturally" stay loose during the fall and not tighten up and sprain/tear something.

If I did it now, they'd be chiseling "Here lies Whitey" on a tombstone shortly thereafter.

These guys have their share of injuries but speed is not the issue until you hit an immovable object as long as you don't have a crazy DIN setting or happen to hook a ski while falling eventually you come to a stop . Slow impact at a high angle is a problem I landed lengthwise on my ribs in a Mogul trough and it took weeks to heal .

Some accidents are just bad luck , I survived my 20's with some good luck .
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    she didn't have the experience to realize a tiny strip of "yellow dirt" in her path was actually a strip of tile, and was capable to stop her dead in her track.
    Just curious...what is a strip of tile?

Finish sentences in the title???

Yeah... You just did it....

Thread Information