• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Transpack as a carry on?

asnowmobiler

I normally just put my boots in the pockets on my ski bag, but this year I’m planning on taking two pairs of skis and I don’t want to be over the weight limit.
so as the title suggests, will the airline (Delta) let me use my boot bag as a carry on bag , it’s not that large but oddly shaped.30F0427F-1226-432F-AE25-2A6EA62F72BC.jpg1CBA689D-D409-4F2A-9B4D-42D835ECAC1B.jpg

SkiingInABlueDream

I've used a standard size (ie original size) transpack as a carry-on many times. In my experience it fits perfectly in regular size overhead bins (ie not tiny-plane overheads). But if you are on a plane with a tiny overhead then you can always gate check. I can't comment about the larger size transpacks.

asnowmobiler

I thought it would be ok, thanks for the quick reply’s.
Only my small overnight bag ever fits in the small planes, so I’m used to gate checking.

Skrn

Flew with large carry on boot bags with American delta United and JetBlue. No issue with any of them

Edd

I’ve never tried it but I’m surprised a Transpack with boots in it fits in an overhead. Good to know.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

asnowmobiler

I’m heading to Utah on Tuesday for 8 days and the weather is a toss up, so I’m to torn on which skis to take.
I'm sure the East will get hammered while I’m gone as it always seems to happen, so you guys can thank me later.

ThinkSnow

Since most airlines consider boot bag and ski bag to be one item, I typically check those. I put my boots in my carry-on sized luggage and include anything else I need so I won't miss a ski day if my actual skis & boot bag happen to get lost/delayed. You can always rent skis, but lost or delayed boots would really suck.

tumbler

We use the Dakine bags as carry on that we put boots, helmet/goggles and ski pants in. Wear ski jacket on plane so if anything lost we can still ski by renting skis and poles. On way home check them since delta you get free boot back check with skis.

mikec142

Traveled to Utah last week. My buddy and his daughter put their regular sized Transpack's in the overhead (United) with no issues. I checked my larger Transpack...didn't even try to stuff it in there.

Bandit2941

I have a large transpack and have always used it as a carry on without trouble. The transpack won’t fit in the bin with the boots in it so I take the boots out and Velcro them together and they become my “personal item.” Boots in the bin first then the transpack.