• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

Zand

+1

Some guy on reddit said "he liked it, but felt it should be unlimited days at each mountain."

:eek:

I mean...$199 is less than some western resorts charge for a one day ticket (and Stowe will be there soon I'm sure). If you get Indy in the east, you're probably at least using the days at Jay, Cannon, and Magic which breaks it down to $33 per day. Then you can get way more out of it than that with the smaller places. I don't get the complaints.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
IIf you get Indy in the east, you're probably at least using the days at Jay, Cannon, and Magic

"East."

Those are great mountains all among my favorites. But NYSB had a guy last year who had 16 Indy days and two were Magic, the other 14 were not on your list.

Dickc

If I was healthy enough to ski an normal winter this season, I could hit 9 different resorts in Mass, NH, and VT. If I hit each twice, that would be 18 trips for a little over ten bucks a ticket. What's not to like!

machski

I mean...$199 is less than some western resorts charge for a one day ticket (and Stowe will be there soon I'm sure). If you get Indy in the east, you're probably at least using the days at Jay, Cannon, and Magic which breaks it down to $33 per day. Then you can get way more out of it than that with the smaller places. I don't get the complaints.
Given how VT is going with the quarantine stuff, I figure I won't be able to get there all season if I'm being honest. So that would leave Cannon (easy day trip), Pat's (super easy for day or night) and Black NH (bit harder day trip). Berkshire East is doable too from home, so I may get it. May be able to meet VT'a restrictions for late January.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skef

Given how VT is going with the quarantine stuff, I figure I won't be able to get there all season if I'm being honest. So that would leave Cannon (easy day trip), Pat's (super easy for day or night) and Black NH (bit harder day trip). Berkshire East is doable too from home, so I may get it. May be able to meet VT'a restrictions for late January.

I’m in Middlesex County, MA, and this is my thinking, too. Hitting all those places could make this worth it. On the other hand, I’ve got an Ikon PLUS a 4-day Epic Day Pass (thanks to a Vail trip that didn’t happen last year). If I get an Indy, I’m thinking of differing the Epic (target was Stowe) until next year.

abc

If I get an Indy, I’m thinking of differing the Epic (target was Stowe) until next year.
Unlike the Ikon, you can't defer Epic pass willy nilly. You only get to defer if you don't get the reservation date of you wish (plus a few very limited circumstance).

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I get the people who are on the fence. If I get a day at Berkshire East, a day at Catamount, and 2 days at Jay and 2 at Magic that's $35 a day. During a non-pandemic year that's not a good deal. Berkshire East and Catamount you can buy online for under $30 midweek and Magic is $39 Thursdays. I'm only considering the pass because I'm sure those deals won't be available this season (Magic already said no discounts this season).

Like any pass you have to use it to make it worth the money. But realistically speaking I'll only get 6-8 days on this thing. My cost-per-day with Ikon is gonna be a lot less.

abc

I get the people who are on the fence. If I get a day at Berkshire East, a day at Catamount, and 2 days at Jay and 2 at Magic that's $35 a day. During a non-pandemic year that's not a good deal. Berkshire East and Catamount you can buy online for under $30 midweek and Magic is $39 Thursdays. I'm only considering the pass because I'm sure those deals won't be available this season (Magic already said no discounts this season).
And on a pandemic year, travel can be tricky. So there’s no guarantee one gets to visit all the mountain in the east.

It has more potential for some who happened to live further north. But either way, to make the pass pay, one needs to visit more than just the few nearby, which again runs into potential travel issues.

Yes, it’s an interesting offer. But not for this year. Not for me anyway.

Smellytele

And on a pandemic year, travel can be tricky. So there’s no guarantee one gets to visit all the mountain in the east.

It has more potential for some who happened to live further north. But either way, to make the pass pay, one needs to visit more than just the few nearby, which again runs into potential travel issues.

Yes, it’s an interesting offer. But not for this year. Not for me anyway.

I can day trip all the ones in NH and VT so no lodging needed. Jay is the long one though

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Saw Cannon was also not doing their 2 fee Tues/thurs or NH resident Wednesdays.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Was that announced or have they maybe not updated the website?

That sucks if they are doing away with those deals. But such is the way the industry has gone. Tougher and tougher to find one off deals.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I think deals in general are out. If your capacity is limited, and you think you will reach it, and you think you are going to have a crappy revenue year... no reason to do it.

Every GM and marketing person I've talked to has said no discounts. Resident deals? They may be your only customers.

drjeff

I think deals in general are out. If your capacity is limited, and you think you will reach it, and you think you are going to have a crappy revenue year... no reason to do it.

Every GM and marketing person I've talked to has said no discounts. Resident deals? They may be your only customers.

I would have to think that come the end of the '20-'21 ski season that most any GM would be THRILLED if they broke even on the season, and revenues are within say 25% of a "normal" season, even if it ends up being a "good" snow year.

The amount of revenue sources that won't be in play either at full capacity, or at all, for most resorts is going to be substantial. From reduced capacity, no walk up tickets, a minimal ski school set up, likely reduced food and beverage revenues, likely reduced rental equipment sales, etc, etc, etc

abc

Everyone is still thinking in terms of people flocking to the mountains, pushing the capacity limits. That maybe the reality. If so, there's no reason to give ANY discounts. Let everyone pay full price.

But the other scenario could be, after Christmas-New Year, once families realize how miserable it is without lodge access, no hot food, and long lines, they stay home. Booking for President's week either doesn't happen, or existing booking got cancelled once reality sets in...

Or, just due to bad luck, the weather during Christmas holiday is terrible (no snow, only WROD, or bitterly cold, all lifts on wind hold). Again, without lodge access, everyone had no choice but to drive a couple hours to go home.

If it's the latter, we may see lots of discount coming back.

We haven't even touch the subject of corporate layoffs at year end yet.

It could very well be the capacity limit become irrelevant due to severe drop of demand.

Both scenario keeps me sitting at the fence on buying a pass.

EPB

If it's the latter, we may see lots of discount coming back.

I think this is the rational thing to do. Seems like the midweek population in the mountains will be the highest ever with new second home buyers/seasonal renters/work from home-ers. It makes the most sense to see what you're up against at full price before bringing back discounts. I think it would be cool for places to experiment with dynamic pricing to try to fill as many midweek slots as they can, but we'll see.

Newpylong

I foresee a wait and see approach on any discounts. I can't see how it is possible to gauge demand this year, it's all spit balling. Have to come out of the gate with a level playing field and see where things go by Christmas.

p_levert

Demand could certainly be suppressed. On enthusiast boards like this one, the attitude is "as long as the lifts run, I can eat in my car and pee in the woods, no problem". But if you're skiing with a female partner or family, the lodge stuff is a real negative. So there's a segment of the ski population that may just stay home. We will see.