• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

xlr8r

Its Saddleback and Waterville

I was hoping for Waterville but did not expect it. now thats another day trip option for me, going to try to go there this weekend if I can.

Saddleback was expected

Zand

Waterville is a blockbuster mountain?!?!?

Jesus Christ, they way oversold that one. Stoked about Saddleback though.

Cobbold

somewhat agree with you, was thinking based upon what they saying, it’s has to be like orda and another big resort, but it’s big, just not transformative like they said

jaytrem

Very happy with both. If I bail on my WA/ID Indy trip I'll probably use both. I do wish Mt Abram stayed with it, fills in the gap between NH and Saddleback a bit. Need to get there still and BMOM.

Zand

I mean...it's easily the worst >1000 vert mountain in New England, and I know I'm far from being alone in that opinion.

What is TGR going to film there, the super gnarly terrain off High Country?

xlr8r

i think its gonna be bigger. bousquet isnt worth a tease.

I mean...it's easily the worst >1000 vert mountain in New England, and I know I'm far from being alone in that opinion.

I agree its probably the worst mountain with +1000VFT. But it adds important variety for daytrips. The other day trip options from Boston are Cannon, Berkshire East, and Pats Peak. While I like Pats and especially Berkshire, the short vert gets old after awhile. So even though I do not love WV, I will go there once or twice a season just to mix it up based on its size alone.

KustyTheKlown

never been to waterville and did not realize it is south of loon/cannon. its doable for me. whether its worth doing is another story, tho i found berkshire east worth doing, so I'll probably check it out at some point.

saddleback is a great add. far as fuck tho. my company gets good Friday off. maybe I'll do saddleback and sugarloaf and a full drive day with no skiing

Cobbold

never been to waterville and did not realize it is south of loon/cannon. its doable for me. whether its worth doing is another story, tho i found berkshire east worth doing, so I'll probably check it out at some point.

saddleback is a great add. far as fuck tho. my company gets good Friday off. maybe I'll do saddleback and sugarloaf and a full drive day with no skiing
For me Maine skiing is like driving to the moon, but maybe since I can hit Waterville and saddleback on the Indy, and sugarloaf on the Mtn collective it’s worth a friday thru Sunday trip, maybe have to think on it.

dblskifanatic

Never really liked WV the lift at the summit is a waste! It is a good place to make intermediates feel good being able to ski almost everything. O took my wife there many years ago to get her on black trails. She was nervous at first but then, we returned later in the season and skied the same runs and wondered why she was so nervous. Just never was a fan. I did noticed that they changed things up a bit putting in Green Peak. Looks like they got rid of the triple and the beginner lift.

abc

To me, Waterville and Windham are the two mountains I don't get. Yet they have their devote followers. People who ski almost exclusively in "their" mountain.

So it's surprising to me when Windham joined Vail. Now Waterville joining Indy is even more odd. The kind of clientele for these mountains aren't the kind that would take to the road to other mountains very enthusiastically, much less to other lessor known Indy mountains.

Zand

Never really liked WV the lift at the summit is a waste! It is a good place to make intermediates feel good being able to ski almost everything. O took my wife there many years ago to get her on black trails. She was nervous at first but then, we returned later in the season and skied the same runs and wondered why she was so nervous. Just never was a fan. I did noticed that they changed things up a bit putting in Green Peak. Looks like they got rid of the triple and the beginner lift.
Green Peak is exactly the same as the main mountain...a bunch of flat 2000 foot long trail segments that merge into each other in random spots and split off in others.

cdskier

To me, Waterville and Windham are the two mountains I don't get. Yet they have their devote followers. People who ski almost exclusively in "their" mountain.

So it's surprising to me when Windham joined Vail. Now Waterville joining Indy is even more odd. The kind of clientele for these mountains aren't the kind that would take to the road to other mountains very enthusiastically, much less to other lessor known Indy mountains.

Did you mean Ikon for Windham? I can see that one making sense. Ikon had no real day-trip destination for NYC metro area skiers. And while Windham clientele may be loyal to Windham, they also are the type of people generally that are willing to spend money (just look how much they are willing to pay for a Windham season pass!). So it makes sense for Ikon to try to entice some of these people to travel to some of their fancier destination resorts.

abc

Sorry my bad. Ikon not Vail was Windham part of.

You're right about Windham pass holders are high rollers. So they could be enticed to spend their money in other Ikon resorts.

Still, Waterville on Indy totally doesn't make sense to me.

machski

Sorry my bad. Ikon not Vail was Windham part of.

You're right about Windham pass holders are high rollers. So they could be enticed to spend their money in other Ikon resorts.

Still, Waterville on Indy totally doesn't make sense to me.
Listen to the Storm Skiing Podcast from today, He had Waterville's GM Tim Smith on. Basically, WV joined because of talking with the Pat's folks and learning that 80% of their Indy Pass redemptions were from folks who had never skied Pat's before and because Indy realigned their financial model and pay out based on each resorts rack day rates and not a flat payout. I don't think they joined for their loyal guests already on their season pass products (though those folks will be able to do an Indy add on next year now).

machski

Compared to areas on the Indy pass currently, WV has lodging and a village which is rather unique and could be seen as a "blockbuster" overall resort add, even if one doesn't see the mountain or terrain as such. The only other Eastern area that compares in terms of the whole "resort" thing is Jay. Also, that makes 4 NH areas on the pass now, that's a big deal in and of itself I think.

snoseek

Well damn I guess I'm the only one here that sorta likes WV. It's been many many years since I've gone but will be happy to slay some of the finest groomers in the granite state.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Did you mean Ikon for Windham? I can see that one making sense. Ikon had no real day-trip destination for NYC metro area skiers. And while Windham clientele may be loyal to Windham, they also are the type of people generally that are willing to spend money (just look how much they are willing to pay for a Windham season pass!). So it makes sense for Ikon to try to entice some of these people to travel to some of their fancier destination resorts.
Coming from Central NJ it is Windham that makes me able to consider Ikon as an alternative to Epic for next year. Also considering ORDA. I need an appealing option within 3 hrs - and Hunter, Windham or Belleayre fill that bill.

Also probably some overlap between Windham and Stratton clientele.

raisingarizona

It looks like it has some sweet cruiser runs