• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

p_levert

Looks like they quietly added another NY resort. Swain Resort, NY. Anyone ever go there?

I have. Swain is a blue square 600 ft hill. Pleasant enough. I get the impression that the resort is not in good shape financially, so maybe this is the last hurrah.

Cobbold

Looks like they quietly added another NY resort. Swain Resort, NY. Anyone ever go there?

Never heard of it till your post, looks like western ny ski area, the Indy pass keeps growing, yes, won’t do much for New England skiers but adds to the ny places, now Greek peak and swain, I think, maybe one more, hoping McCauley and or west Mtn join.

Killingtime

Never heard of it till your post, looks like western ny ski area, the Indy pass keeps growing, yes, won’t do much for New England skiers but adds to the ny places, now Greek peak and swain, I think, maybe one more, hoping McCauley and or west Mtn join.

West Mtn would be great. I am probably going to stop in there with a day pass during my Gore trip but it would be great to see them on the Indy Pass.

p_levert

I am on the email list for Indy pass. I do find it odd that a ski area is added and there is no announcement. Why wouldn't you send an email for each enhancement of the product?

2planks2coasts

I am on the email list for Indy pass. I do find it odd that a ski area is added and there is no announcement. Why wouldn't you send an email for each enhancement of the product?

Hopefully it will be like the last expansion and they can announce a few new resorts all at once.

Dickc

Added Swain Mountain in Western New York according to an email today. The three payment plan ends October 16th.

p_levert

One thing to be aware of, the blackout days are pretty extreme: https://www.indyskipass.com/faq/. There's only 4 resorts with blackouts, none in the east. But it's not just Xmas, MLK and Presidents that are blacked out. It also includes the 4th and 5th weekends in January and the first weekend in February.

ScottySkis

Wish they'd add Platty......

Plaaty decided not to participate this upcoming season because they don't make enough$
With virus bring money issues this upcoming season to not join because loss of revenue which I posted in Plaaty thread few weeks ago

Cobbold

Plaaty decided not to participate this upcoming season because they don't make enough$
With virus bring money issues this upcoming season to not join because loss of revenue which I posted in Plaaty thread few weeks ago

From the storm skier podcast with the gm of mad river Glenn, he sounded like he would have joined but COVID 19 uncertainty kept him out this year, from the Sam ski article, Indy pass sales percentage wise are thru the roof.

My guess next year lots of places like mad river Glenn, plattekill are on board

p_levert

My guess next year lots of places like mad river Glenn, plattekill are on board

I think that all depends on what the 20/21 numbers show. For 19/20, the average skier only used the Indy pass 4 times, so the average return to the ski area was around $50 per ski day. I imagine this would be acceptable to MRG and Platty. OTOH, if the usage jumps up to 10 ski days per passholder in 20/21, then the yield would be $20 per day. I doubt that MRG/Plat would jump in for that. Fish put a very positive spin on things, but I imagine that MRG/Plat are interested in more data on usage.

ScottySkis

I think that all depends on what the 20/21 numbers show. For 19/20, the average skier only used the Indy pass 4 times, so the average return to the ski area was around $50 per ski day. I imagine this would be acceptable to MRG and Platty. OTOH, if the usage jumps up to 10 ski days per passholder in 20/21, then the yield would be $20 per day. I doubt that MRG/Plat would jump in for that. Fish put a very positive spin on things, but I imagine that MRG/Plat are interested in more data on usage.

No Platy owner told me
They get very little revenue from that pass

"We havent made a decision on discounting our tickets that much by participating in the program. We are a small business that just cant afford to lose income."

Last edited:

Smellytele

No Platy owner told me
They get very little revenue from that pass

"We havent made a decision on discounting our tickets that much by participating in the program. We are a small business that just cant afford to lose income."

It may get me to go though where I wouldn’t even think of driving over there normally.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

urungus

It may get me to go though where I wouldn’t even think of driving over there normally.

Exactly, question is does revenue from new visitors eclipse lost revenue from people who would have gone anyway but are now using cheaper Indy ticket. Also need to take into account ancillary revenue (food, drink, souvenirs, etc) brought in by the new visitors.