• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

p_levert

Today's additions are Schuss MI, Swiss Valley MI, Ober Gatlinburg TN, Shawnee PA.

44 resorts claimed on first page, I count 43 in the different sections, getting close :)

BenedictGomez

While this Independent pass will never be a serious threat to EPIC or IKON, at 44 resorts you start to take notice.

If they continue to strategically geographically add, I could definitely see this thing bleeding EPIC & IKON around the edges in a not insignificant way.

It's perfect for IKON or EPIC folks who have doubts they can hit the $700'ish value, or simply for those who only ski 5 or 10 days a year (i.e. most people) and see $200 versus $700 as a dramatic difference. Not as great mountains you say? Of course, but many in that group wont care about that in the least. In fact, I see marketing dollars as their greatest current hurdle. Everyone knows EPIC & IKON, nobodies heard of Indy.

jaytrem

Today's additions are Schuss MI, Swiss Valley MI, Ober Gatlinburg TN, Shawnee PA.

44 resorts claimed on first page, I count 43 in the different sections, getting close :)

Well I already have an Ikon and I guess my Peak will become Epic. I think I just need to pick this up and quit my job!

KustyTheKlown

if they add something like plattekill, i'm in. catamount and b-east arent moving the needle for me. magic and bolton are. but i'm thinking that a magic 4-pack and the lake champlain card will be all i need to round out my ikon. regrets re: missing stowe this year - oh well. jay im happy to pay for a day, especially if i have burke on the champlain.

p_levert

According to the Unofficial Networks article, the missing ski area is Cannonsburg MI. And this opens up another "hotspot": Grand Rapids MI, where the pass can be used at Cannonsburg, Swiss Valley, Caberfae and Schuss, all within two hours or so. The other hotspots are Spokane, Minneapolis, Wisconsin and Albany. Otherwise, for many people, the card is a little difficult to pay off, or at least difficult to save big.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Indy_Resorts_Map_NorthAmerica.png

BenedictGomez

if they add something like plattekill, i'm in.

Same.

For 2 days each at Platty & Magic, and 1 day at Bolton make it worth it for me.

Plus a call option on a day or 2 at Shawnee if it's the one in three years when they actually get hit with a storm and/or decent conditions.

bdfreetuna

I'd be in if they gave us options ala "East", "West", "Midwest" and "Full Pass". At adjusted pricing.

No intentions of getting on a plane any time soon, although some of the western resorts sound nice, I only care about adding a few more to the Northeast selection.

Otherwise the Northeast participating resorts are mostly ones that already offer abundant cheap ticket deals.

KustyTheKlown

I'd be in if they gave us options ala "East", "West", "Midwest" and "Full Pass". At adjusted pricing.

No intentions of getting on a plane any time soon, although some of the western resorts sound nice, I only care about adding a few more to the Northeast selection.

Otherwise the Northeast participating resorts are mostly ones that already offer abundant cheap ticket deals.

Dude it’s $200. How much cheaper do you expect them to make it? It’s a good deal, it comes down to whether the mountains interest you. I’m in if they add one more VT or Catskills

VTKilarney

Dude it’s $200. How much cheaper do you expect them to make it? It’s a good deal, it comes down to whether the mountains interest you. I’m in if they add one more VT or Catskills

I had the same thought. $200 is as low as anyone should expect them to go.

Killingtime

I had the same thought. $200 is as low as anyone should expect them to go.

They are practically giving this thing away. Costs more than $200 to take the wife out for a steak dinner. This is a really cheap way for me to hit a few places in VT and MA that I just haven't found time to visit. I'm in on this. If they can add a few more places that would be great. Windham? the ORDA's? How many more independents are left? Vail and Ikon are locking up most of the big ones now.

bdfreetuna

Yeah it's just not that enticing even at $200, considering I'd only use it for Bolton Valley, Berkshire East, and Magic.

Bolton Valley hands out $29 tickets like candy. Berkshire East I never pay more than 1/2 price anyway. Magic I'll visit on my Fox44/Champlain card, or else maybe use a VT pass.

I'm not saying it SUCKS, but for an eastern skier not looking to ski beginner hills or travel south, I get more bang for the buck and options elsewhere without the redundancy.

For different skiers with different plans it can obviously be a fantastic deal.

abc

Yeah it's just not that enticing even at $200, considering I'd only use it for Bolton Valley, Berkshire East, and Magic.

Bolton Valley hands out $29 tickets like candy. Berkshire East I never pay more than 1/2 price anyway. Magic I'll visit on my Fox44/Champlain card, or else maybe use a VT pass.

I'm not saying it SUCKS, but for an eastern skier not looking to ski beginner hills or travel south, I get more bang for the buck and options elsewhere without the redundancy.

For different skiers with different plans it can obviously be a fantastic deal.
For all the grief Vail Corp gets, they know what it takes to drive people to buy passes. One of them is not to “hand out discount day tickets like candy”!

I know for me, it’s indeed those “candy tickets” that UN-motivated me from buying passes in the past. For the casual skiers who only ski less than 10 days, or those move around many mountains, the calculation doesn’t always favor buying passes.