• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

deadheadskier

Staff member
Opinions vary, but to me Smuggs > Jay. Save for the single at MRG (and it's very close) Madonna is the best expert terrain pod in the East. Hate the damn lift, but the terrain is superior to Jay.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

Cobbold

Opinions vary, but to me Smuggs > Jay. Save for the single at MRG (and it's very close) Madonna is the best expert terrain pod in the East. Hate the damn lift, but the terrain is superior to Jay.

My last trip to Smuggs, the first two trips up the Mtn, the chair stopped three times and slowed down twice, each run, wtf, Smuggs needs a cash infusion

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I agree and I haven't even hit Smuggs in good conditions. I've hit Jay on a few powder days. Yes it's spectacular. The trees are awesome. The expert terrain, while challenging, is extremely short and that gives Smuggs the advantage, imo.

To me Jay is a place that's in the East's top 10 but too frequently gets put in the top 5. JMO.

BenedictGomez

I agree and I haven't even hit Smuggs in good conditions. I've hit Jay on a few powder days. Yes it's spectacular. The trees are awesome. The expert terrain, while challenging, is extremely short and that gives Smuggs the advantage, imo.

To Jay Peak's great credit, they were one of the very first to really open up tree skiing, and I think maybe that's partially why most of the best in-boundary tree skiing at Jay Peak is on the map. Or not, and I'm wrong, but that's a hunch I have. Smuggs is different, some of the best in-boundary tree skiing at Smuggs is not marked, and can stay great several days after a storm. And in terms of the trail system, Smuggs has a big advantage over Jay Peak. It's true the conditions at Jay Peak will typically be better than the conditions at Smuggs, but if both are prime, I'd choose Smuggs every time. Love them both though.

jaytrem

Jay it is. Make a no brainer even more of a no brainer. Especially if I decide not to take the kids west due to the virus.

Zand

Jay it is. Make a no brainer even more of a no brainer. Especially if I decide not to take the kids west due to the virus.

I'm sold. Can't say no to a couple Jay/Cannon trips. Plus the added bonus of Magic and Berkshire East.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Thanks for following, and sharing the link.

We're Indy Pass partners so we had the story for a few days. Storm Skiing Journal was actually a factor in the deal itself so they were given a 15 min lead on everyone else.

Personally would mortified if we accidentally shared the link ahead of time. That's a way to burn some serious bridges. Plus SSJ is a personal friend. Great guy with an excellent outlet.

Cobbold

Wonder how long it takes the other areas to wake up and join?? Plattekill not joining two years in row, don’t understand that, oh well, my guess Waterville valley will be next!

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Plattekill not joining two years in row, don’t understand that

The Indy renewal rate has been high.

Still if you *think* you are going to hit your capacity limits *most days* this season maybe it doesn't make sense to add skiers in at a lower rate. Remember Plattekill is open primarily on weekends and holidays.

xlr8r

If Jay has now joined, there is no reason now for Burke not to join as well. This pass is perfect for Burke to get more people to try the place that have never been there before.

p_levert

If Jay has now joined, there is no reason now for Burke not to join as well. This pass is perfect for Burke to get more people to try the place that have never been there before.

Well, if you look at https://www.indyskipass.com , it states "Jay Peak, VT just joined the #INDYREVOLUTION. who's next?". So that would seem to imply that there will an additional resort coming. Maybe Burke, maybe Mt. Podunk in Iowa... Harvey may know, but I don't think he's telling.

Killingtime

Wonder how long it takes the other areas to wake up and join?? Plattekill not joining two years in row, don’t understand that, oh well, my guess Waterville valley will be next!

I picked the pass up last year as a cheap way to hit Bolton and Magic. My buddies were laughing at the time calling it the "little sh tter" pass and were skeptical that it would even survive into this season. I wonder how many resort owners initially felt the same way. I think the Indy Pass just got everyone's attention with the addition of Jay.