• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

Cobbold

No Platy owner told me
They get very little revenue from that pass

"We havent made a decision on discounting our tickets that much by participating in the program. We are a small business that just cant afford to lose income."

Interesting, that magic Mtn folks love Indy pass and plattekill folks are it’s meh, they both can’t be right.

After year one, only 3 or 4 mtns dropped out, to me that tells me most every one thought it was successful or at least winning to give it another year.

ScottySkis

Interesting, that magic Mtn folks love Indy pass and plattekill folks are it’s meh, they both can’t be right.

After year one, only 3 or 4 mtns dropped out, to me that tells me most every one thought it was successful or at least winning to give it another year.

From Laci

" We won't be selling any discount tickets this year anywhere, such as liftopia or other online, and not doing any coupons either. We have to cover enough revenue from fewer people this year."
:::

jaytrem

Anybody know who else dropped off other than Abram?

Killingtime

OTOH, if the usage jumps up to 10 ski days per passholder in 20/21, then the yield would be $20 per day. I doubt that MRG/Plat would jump in for that. Fish put a very positive spin on things, but I imagine that MRG/Plat are interested in more data on usage.

For that reason I think we will start to see price increases from the current $199 at some point. I don't think anyone will be happy with a $20 per day payout. That may be an extreme scenario but I would expect the four day average to migrate higher over time, especially if they keep adding places like Cannon.

p_levert

For that reason I think we will start to see price increases from the current $199 at some point. I don't think anyone will be happy with a $20 per day payout. That may be an extreme scenario but I would expect the four day average to migrate higher over time, especially if they keep adding places like Cannon.

I expect multiple tiers in the future. I think there will be a base tier at $199 which will be no-blackouts for the mom-and-pop places and mostly mid-week for the good places. Then another tier at $300 which will remove the blackout days for all areas. Then a $400 tier which gives 3 days at each area, and who knows maybe a 4-day tier.

All of this is total conjecture. I expect the Indy pass to survive, but also to morph into different shapes.

abc

Sure they can (both be right).

They may have a different clientele. (what the differences are would be mere conjectures)

Cobbold

I think the pool gets divided by the number of ski areas minus their rack rate, not on how many skiers show up or the rate is adjusted down if one skier skis twenty places, I could wrong though

jaytrem

I believe it was two possibly three places in the Midwest.

Found the list of the originals. Giants Ridge is the only mid-western gone from that list. Anybody else that left must have come on later. Seemed like they kept adding and adding last year.

Cobbold

I would not be surprised if alterra and vail either together or each on their own buys it down the road, it would be an attractive add on to both super passes for 150 , sales would go thru the roof and theses small players would get a nice check from the Indy pass. Plus vail or alterra would create a lot of goodwill with skiers in the USA/ canada

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
From Laci
"We won't be selling any discount tickets this year anywhere, such as liftopia or other online, and not doing any coupons either. We have to cover enough revenue from fewer people this year."
:::

What is the source of this quote?

Try this:

"Due to possible governmental capacity limitations, we will prioritize season pass holders. We will be selling daily lift tickets, but there will be limits. Therefore we will not be promoting discount lift ticket sales.

Daily lift tickets will likely have to be purchased in advance online, via a portal we are currently working on, at full price. Season pass holders will not have to make reservations.

We plan to make everyone feel safe with much reduced daily skier numbers, making an already special ski experience even better. We may also need to limit the number of people in the lodge and will have outdoor food and beverage services available.

We are preselling rentals and are working on an app so that we can preset equipment to eliminate the lines and crowds in the rental shop. Contactless ski school checkin, will allowing our guests to go straight to the learning center."

Last edited:

dlague

That is interesting! I never really looked at this very closely but It is a great way to get some skiing in on the cheap at feeder hills. However, in New England it provides the greatest value due to proximity and a few places that are decent size Cannon, Magic and Bolton Valley are all fun places and to get some extra days Pats Peak, Suicide Six and Black Mountain work too. Depending where you live also makes a difference - my point of reference is from central NH and I have been to each of those. So twelve days for $199 is no bad at all.

Out west it is a different beast - very spread out and none of the Indy resorts are destination locations.

In the Michigan Wisconsin and Minnesota there are some decent clusters that seem good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
What is the source of this quote?

Try this:

"Due to possible governmental capacity limitations, we will prioritize season pass holders. We will be selling daily lift tickets, but there will be limits. Therefore we will not be promoting discount lift ticket sales.

Daily lift tickets will likely have to be purchased in advance online, via a portal we are currently working on, at full price. Season pass holders will not have to make reservations.

We plan to make everyone feel safe with much reduced daily skier numbers, making an already special ski experience even better. We may also need to limit the number of people in the lodge and will have outdoor food and beverage services available.

We are preselling rentals and are working on an app so that we can preset equipment to eliminate the lines and crowds in the rental shop. Contactless ski school checkin, will allowing our guests to go straight to the learning center."

Glad I'm a season passholder this season.

jaytrem

New resorts will be announced on Monday. Any guesses?

I'll go with Bosquets.