• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fees for checking bags

Just go to United.com/baggage file a claim, I bet they refund the money. Just say you were entitled to free bags

SkiingInABlueDream

@fbrissettte : yep that's the page Ski The Moguls and I have been referring to. Thing is, I find no verbiage that suggests Sports Equipment supercedes the size rules. I'm just saying I'm not convinced either way at this point.

GregoryIsaacs

Looks like this is a United problem....

I was flying United from Boston to Denver at the end of Feb and had a similarly aggravating issue where they agent told me my spyder boot bag (about the size of a mid sized duffle) that I have used on my past 6+ western ski trips was "too big" to count as a "boot bag" and that they should just be for the boots and thats all. She indicated that the flights from boston have been flagged for oversized baggage issues this year.

Completely ridiculous as I have NEVER had that issue before and I was well under the 50 lb limit. I gladly told them that I would never be flying united again and would let all of my skiing friends know that they are not a ski-freindly airline LOL... but it worked and she waived the fee.

On my return trip I checked my bags outside at the drop off zone with no problems. They seem to have a much better sense of humor about the ski+boot bag policy so I would recommend that route in your future travels

kingslug

I use my avi backpack..strap boots to the sides of it and fill it with goggles,etc..much smaller than a bootbag..they never say anything..

MommaBear

We recently flew United, Hartford to Redmond OR (thru Denver). I purposely avoided the kiosk because we had issues last year with the bag count. Skis and boot bag counting as 1 - but you have to count them as 2 to get the right tags printed, and then on another screen you indicate they are special bags and it takes the cost back off for the "2nd" bag. Wasn't finding that 2nd screen on the kiosk so took it all over to the agent (Hartford). 4 of us, 10 bags total checked was $200 going out. Same number of bags coming home, took them to the agent again in Redmond. She puts it all in, says "oh, that's WAY too much" and adjusted something on her end to do $120 for the trip home.

KustyTheKlown

Looks like this is a United problem....

I was flying United from Boston to Denver at the end of Feb and had a similarly aggravating issue where they agent told me my spyder boot bag (about the size of a mid sized duffle) that I have used on my past 6+ western ski trips was "too big" to count as a "boot bag" and that they should just be for the boots and thats all. She indicated that the flights from boston have been flagged for oversized baggage issues this year.

Completely ridiculous as I have NEVER had that issue before and I was well under the 50 lb limit. I gladly told them that I would never be flying united again and would let all of my skiing friends know that they are not a ski-freindly airline LOL... but it worked and she waived the fee.

On my return trip I checked my bags outside at the drop off zone with no problems. They seem to have a much better sense of humor about the ski+boot bag policy so I would recommend that route in your future travels

the curb check is usually staffed by middle aged union looking men who dont care much for rules and, as you said, are good humored

the desk check is usually staffed by younger, more fearful, mixed male and female, corporate drones who are terrified of their overlords.

BenedictGomez

Assuming you even have the option for desk check. The more modern airports have practically done away with it.

SkiingInABlueDream

A friend who Im traveling on United with next week says he was advised by United (service rep on the phone) to answer "no" when the kiosk asks you if you have oversize (>62") baggage, for your skis. We'll see if that holds up when we're there next week. The people at the desk could have completely different instructions than the answers the people on the phone are told to give.

kbroderick

A friend who Im traveling on United with next week says he was advised by United (service rep on the phone) to answer "no" when the kiosk asks you if you have oversize (>62") baggage, for your skis. We'll see if that holds up when we're there next week. The people at the desk could have completely different instructions than the answers the people on the phone are told to give.

This matches what I was told when I flew United with skis last September. I angered the kiosk with my answers and had to get the agent to intervene, and was then told that I should've answered "no" to the oversize baggage question, even though it said nothing about "except permitted sports equipment" or such on the screen.

crank

You were on a group trip with your club. You should contact the trip leader and he/she should contact your travel agent/tour operator.

I just lead a trip for my club to Val d'Isere and Swiss Air randomly charged 3 of our group 230 Swiss Marks to bring their skis back from Geneva. They contacted me. I contacted our tour operator and he is working on getting them refunded.

skimagic

Frontier has just started service from Hartford to Denver. Anyone have experience with them? Flights seem much cheaper than usual.

MommaBear

I don't have personal experience with them, but a couple of family members have flown Frontier out west, and had some issues (flights changed on them, which they couldn't make - no refund or help offered). It is a no frills, bare bones service from what I understand.

jimmywilson69

just flew on American to and from Jackson Hole. I had a hard sided double ski carrier and a boot bag. Definitely weighed more than 50 pounds and they only charged me $30 each way, which is the normal bag price :thumbup:

I figured they just screwed up in Harrisburg, but it was the same on the way home. According to AA policy its 1 pair of skis, 1 pair of boots and a helmet.

I basically paid 50% less than I thought it would be!

asnowmobiler

I just got back from Utah using Delta. On the way out I was able to check my ski bag and my roller with ski boots inside at no cost (I get one free) the total weight was 79 pounds, on the way back the hit me for $40 because I was over the 50lbs limit. My buddy was also way over, but didn’t get charged either way, it depends on the person at the counter.

machski

I just got back from Utah using Delta. On the way out I was able to check my ski bag and my roller with ski boots inside at no cost (I get one free) the total weight was 79 pounds, on the way back the hit me for $40 because I was over the 50lbs limit. My buddy was also way over, but didn’t get charged either way, it depends on the person at the counter.
Did your buddy have higher medallion status? That seems to make a big difference too.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

No I do, he’s not even a member but since I booked the flight under my account, he didn’t have to pay anything either way.
Yeah, that's odd in your case. We travel when skiing with a very large LLBean rolling duffle bag that is usually pushing 50# and very large dimension wise. As a medallion (Gold and Platinum levels), Delta agents have never gotten me for weight or size.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

I get a huge discount on shipping so I am probably unique. I ship my boots and a bunch of other stuff ahead of time and just check my skis & 1 other bag. I've never been charged that much extra $ for skis like you were. Went to Big Sky last year and did it this way and no way did they charge me $200 each way for my skis.

Regarding shipping - Both FedEx Ground and UPS will get your stuff from the east coast to the western mountains in about 3 days. So if I am arriving on Friday or Saturday I'll just make sure that I send them on Monday and I've had no issues with them not getting there. It's not crazy expensive for me, not sure what "regular" rates are like. I do it for mostly the reason that it makes the travel a lot easier. I don't have the extra bags and weight. Usually just have a ski bag and regular duffle bag. The boots, helmets, gloves, googles, etc are all there already when I get there. I alway put a return shipping label in the box and a roll of tape. When I am done and leaving I just repack, put the shipping label on, and drop the boxes at the rental office/hotel desk/etc on my way out and call FedEx and schedule a pick up. Most of these places already have regular pickups anyway so most times all I am doing is dropping off the boxes on my way out. About 3 days later they show up on my door step. If I am travelling with family - I do the same with their gear & they travel with just skis & 1 bag.

But like I said, I am probably unique in doing it this way because I get good rates. But I have to say - it makes the travel and getting thru the airport so much easier.

One pro tip for those so inclined. If you like _____ but are nervous about going thru an airport with it or trying to find it at an unfamiliar ski destination (other than CO and WA for obvious reasons), if you ship some of your stuff to your destination. . . Well, let's just say that's no longer a problem.