• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fees for checking bags

BenedictGomez

Checking-in for my UT flight, and this popped-up on United's website so I figure I'd add it to the airline info here.

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.

So United is still status-quo in this regard.

SkiingInABlueDream

Update on my situation. United granted my refund request. Very surprised! Actually they refunded my entire baggage fees ($270 x 2 total) not just the $200 x 2 I had requested for unnecessary oversize-ness. IDK if refunding the full amount was a good will gesture, or if there was no other option because each $270 was a single charge to my CC, but whatever the case I'm not complaining. I actually came out ahead. Perhaps I benefitted from the poor person dragged off the plane fiasco. <shrug>

Zand

My bag weighed in at 54 lbs last night and the kind folks at JetBlue sent it along as a normal bag. So far I've dealt with JetBlue and Delta 3 times each with a ski bag and never had an issue with either in Boston, Denver, or SLC.

KustyTheKlown

delta was cool for me coming home from silverton. my skis+boots were about 57. they didnt care.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Update on my situation. United granted my refund request. Very surprised! Actually they refunded my entire baggage fees ($270 x 2 total) not just the $200 x 2 I had requested for unnecessary oversize-ness. IDK if refunding the full amount was a good will gesture, or if there was no other option because each $270 was a single charge to my CC, but whatever the case I'm not complaining. I actually came out ahead. Perhaps I benefitted from the poor person dragged off the plane fiasco. <shrug>

I’d hope it was a goodwill gesture.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimmywilson69

I was over 50 lbs each way to and from Jackson and it wasn't a big deal. If everyone who has a ski bag is over, then isn't that a problem? :-D:-D