• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking

Glenn

I'm guessing done. They usually roll up the hoses after President's Day weekend.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Patterson New York's very own Thunder Ridge was blowing snow last week. Guns are still out...they don't tell me nuffin but they might not be done making snow. Very proud of my little hill.

slatham

I've neither seen nor heard of any action since Presidents week (Superstar glacier the obvious exception), which historically is the end unless something exceptional happens to the base (ie. 2 years ago after the Presidents week melt down). Everyone has solid bases and its too late for any payoff.

Edit: I am referring to up north. No knowledge of areas in NJ/PA and south.

Last edited:

machski

I'd say done. Especially in Maine, natural snow pack is much deeper than normal. Killington blew through the first week of March on the Superstar pod and select other locations. Been a while since they pushed that late in and stacked SS as high as it is. Guessing they still had a decent amount of budget remaining under snowmaking and decided to use it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

TCXC.jpg

Based on this photo taken this morning and posted on the FB page of the XC Ski place in my condo complex across the street from Mount Snow (they don't have any snowmaking as an FYI, and this is just all natural snow maintained with a snowmobile that pulls an XC track setter and compactor) and what I saw on the hill at Mount Snow first hand last weekend, even though there are still some hoses on some select trails that haven't been pulled, my guess is that they're done for the season, and have most snowmaking trails, based on the mounting posts that the air/water guns are on that are roughly 4 feet tall, all of the snowmaking trails have at a minimum 2 feet of base, and many with well over 4 feet. Some of the fan guns trails that received multiple resurfacing efforts have depths often 6 to 10 feet for much of the trail length...

Glenn

View attachment 24824

Based on this photo taken this morning and posted on the FB page of the XC Ski place in my condo complex across the street from Mount Snow (they don't have any snowmaking as an FYI, and this is just all natural snow maintained with a snowmobile that pulls an XC track setter and compactor) and what I saw on the hill at Mount Snow first hand last weekend, even though there are still some hoses on some select trails that haven't been pulled, my guess is that they're done for the season, and have most snowmaking trails, based on the mounting posts that the air/water guns are on that are roughly 4 feet tall, all of the snowmaking trails have at a minimum 2 feet of base, and many with well over 4 feet. Some of the fan guns trails that received multiple resurfacing efforts have depths often 6 to 10 feet for much of the trail length...

What a difference elevation makes! We didn't have enough snow to take the snowmobiles out last weekend.

Newpylong

I am at about 1250' here in Central NH with about 12-18" of snowpack. Down in town just at like 900 there are bare spots.