• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wst 3/23-24

WWF-VT

Latest from NWS forecast for Sugarbush....could be a lot of snow with a lot of wind

Tonight
Snow likely with a chance of light snow before 7pm, then snow, mainly after 7pm. Low around 31. Windy, with a south wind 26 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday
Snow. High near 32. Windy, with an east wind 24 to 34 mph becoming east 8 to 13 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Friday Night
Snow. Low around 18. Wind chill values as low as -3. Very windy, with a northwest wind 37 to 42 mph increasing to 43 to 48 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow, mainly before 1pm, then a chance of snow showers after 1pm. High near 24. Very windy, with a northwest wind 44 to 49 mph decreasing to 36 to 41 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Bumpsis

Gonna be a bust for the White's. Rain all day Friday, change to a lil snow overnight, then back to rain Sat am.
Winds will pick up overnight, and be honkin' all day Sat into Sun morning...

Will probably bail this weekend, BUT might get to take the convertible out for the first time on Sunday :smile:

Look again, Sunday may be a really nice day with 6-10" at Cannon, sun and low wind. I'm definitely planning on heading out.

kingslug

Damn..drive Friday night into a snowstorm or saturday morning..into a snowstorm. Saturday looking better..at least it won't be...dark.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Weather.com has Bell at 2-6" friday. Smurf thing?

Hunter is showing 5-8".

If I can make this work, might try the new terrain at Hunter...

Who does better in the wind? Bell or Hunter?

From what I am seeing Plattekill looks to be getting more than the other Cats areas. And those Hall lifts are ALMOST impervious to wind.

tnt1234

From what I am seeing Plattekill looks to be getting more than the other Cats areas. And those Hall lifts are ALMOST impervious to wind.

That would be my first choice, but it's 20 minutes further, and I have to be home by 5.

Bell and Hunter are 3 each way. That's as far as i can manage. Leave at 5:30, on the mountain by 9, ski till 2....

Ugh. Lots of driving, but seems like it might be worth it.

abc

Damn..drive Friday night into a snowstorm or saturday morning..into a snowstorm. Saturday looking better..at least it won't be...dark.
Definitely drive Saturday morning.

Into a snowstorm, yes. In the daylight, yes. Arrive just as wind hold clears, YES! :)

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

smac75

We are in the same boat. Can't leave until Sat morning. Will I be risking my life?

machski

Killington Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Gonna get all I can on Friday at Canyon/K1/North Ridge...could be tough to spin those Saturday AM and Sunday AM.

This wind isn't strong enough to be a total mountain closer anywhere...but will be a royal PIA.
Maybe not the winds, but if this is a wet, pasting snow with the wind, anticipate any detachable lift to be down for icing on the line.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

tumbler

Much less snow in the valleys than on the hill.

kingslug

We are in the same boat. Can't leave until Sat morning. Will I be risking my life?

I've never had a big problem in the day...night is another story. Super early Saturday ..like 4am leave time is good as the roads are empty and the plows have been working all night. Friday night the plows will be out and getting stuck behind a line of those really sux.

cdskier

Much less snow in the valleys than on the hill.

And latest forecasts show that much of VT may be in somewhat of a dry slot Friday during a good part of the day. My goal is to leave NJ by 1pm tomorrow so sort of thinking roads may be decent at least a good part of the drive.

Winds still have me concerned a bit on Saturday. We'll see.

HowieT2

And latest forecasts show that much of VT may be in somewhat of a dry slot Friday during a good part of the day. My goal is to leave NJ by 1pm tomorrow so sort of thinking roads may be decent at least a good part of the drive.

Winds still have me concerned a bit on Saturday. We'll see.

I'm shooting to leave westchester around 2-3pm. I really dont think snow is going to be an issue except on route 4 in killington and then on 100 from Granville.

KustyTheKlown

Yep. I’m driving Friday night to a hotel near Castleton. 87 as far as I can go and then cut across. In the morning, 4>100. Slow and steady.

Wind won’t stop the single chair

cdskier

I'm shooting to leave westchester around 2-3pm. I really dont think snow is going to be an issue except on route 4 in killington and then on 100 from Granville.

Agreed. I'm staying on the western side of the greens until Rt 73/Brandon Gap. That's where I'm thinking I'll first possibly encounter any significant snow on the roads. Daylight lasting longer now helps a bit too from a driving perspective.

HowieT2

Agreed. I'm staying on the western side of the greens until Rt 73/Brandon Gap. That's where I'm thinking I'll first possibly encounter any significant snow on the roads. Daylight lasting longer now helps a bit too from a driving perspective.

me too. curious why you take 73 instead of 4?