• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2019

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
No, those "fat ladies" are on the other forum you must like! This is the "fat lady" as in the "it's not over til the fat lady sings"/closing thread for 2018-2019! :spin:

Yawgoo hung it up on Sunday, the 17th. Powder Ridge finishing up this coming weekend.

Northern ski country going strong with VT/NH/Maine looking to get hammered again this weekend.

2Planker

Cranmore just announced they'll stay open for weekends in April.
3/31 was to be the last day, but there's just too much snow....

2Planker

Perhaps a moderator can rename this thread as "Fat Lady for the flatlanders"? ;)

Looks like you guys are the flatlanders.... Me & uphillklimber live in ski country ;-)

I think it's good timing for this thread, as the Mts are just starting to announce there Spring plans.
I too, love April skiing, and there lots of plans to be made so I'm open to any news

mister moose

No fat lady here.

May is in the bank so far it's coming out the other side.

Attachments

• 20190311_115923.jpg
    20190311_115923.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 195

abc

Exactly. The snow has all melted in my yard!

I ski all over the place. So for me personally, it’s not even close to “over”. But as many mountains are closing in the flat land, this thread is appropriate!

When northern VT starts closing, there will be a whole chorus of fad lady singing. But I’ll be heading out west this year. The fat lady will be left behind for yet another month (or two)!

Los

Whaleback’s done after this weekend.

Zand

My birthday is 6/2...which is a Sunday this year. Based on the pictures from Superstar, if we avoid a torch May for once I think it's finally happening this year.

skiur

My birthday is 6/2...which is a Sunday this year. Based on the pictures from Superstar, if we avoid a torch May for once I think it's finally happening this year.

Only missed it by a day in 17, could have at least skied your birthday weekend.....looks promising this year, most snow I've seen on Sup since the 90's.

Zand

Only missed it by a day in 17, could have at least skied your birthday weekend.....looks promising this year, most snow I've seen on Sup since the 90's.

As much as I love going as late as possible on Superstar, once you have to lower yourself down the headwall on the ropes I usually call it quits (which they were doing that day in '17). I would make an exception for birthday skiing however...

hrstrat57

Down here in the flatlands once the baseball bats, lacrosse sticks, tennis racquets and golf clubs, bicycles come out snow sports are dead. Yawgoo had deep cover on almost everything. Only Yawgoons care.

sad but done.

2Planker

Down here in the flatlands once the baseball bats, lacrosse sticks, tennis racquets and golf clubs, bicycles come out snow sports are dead. Yawgoo had deep cover on almost everything. Only Yawgoons care.

sad but done.

YUP - and SR will close up w/ something like 80%-90% coverage

machski

As much as I love going as late as possible on Superstar, once you have to lower yourself down the headwall on the ropes I usually call it quits (which they were doing that day in '17). I would make an exception for birthday skiing however...
The stockpile on Gateway should help hold off the slog over the lip at the top of SS. A lot of snow on the spine for sure this year and Preston's is deeper and wider thAn I've seen since the 90's. The middle part of the trail though is stacked on the spine but tappers off very quickly away from the spine ridge. I hope it is a cool spring, with at least one more shot of snow after this weekend. If skiers right of the middle breaks open, it has a tendency to start drawing down and accelerating the spine melt out. Plus, some of the stack on Preston's will need to be pulled down as not much extra at the base/lift line area or the run-out from Skylark.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone have intel on when Jack Frost/Big Boulder is planning to close? I haven't made it there yet this season and was hoping to make a quick trip on 3/30 or 3/31.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app