• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski free on birthday?

abc

Which mountain(s) have it?

My b-day is in April and the weather for once looks favorable for many mountain having enough snow...

cdskier

Years ago Belleayre did but I don't think they have it any more. My birthday is in early December so it was always hit or miss on whether it was worth going.

drjeff

I think that most areas that used to do this, stopped since the reality is that a significant portion of their customer base will have birthdays that fall outside of ski season, and marketing probably felt it was better not to offer this perk for some, if all can't potentially partake in it...

cdskier

I think that most areas that used to do this, stopped since the reality is that a significant portion of their customer base will have birthdays that fall outside of ski season, and marketing probably felt it was better not to offer this perk for some, if all can't potentially partake in it...

Belleayre had a solution for that back when they did it...if your birthday fell outside of ski season, then they gave you an alternate month that you could use. So for example if your birthday was June 10, maybe they said you could ski free on January 10 instead.

I actually felt people with non-ski season birthdays were at a greater advantage than me since the replacement months were in the middle of ski season while I was "stuck" with an early December date that may have had limited terrain open some years.

jaytrem

Would rather go to Bellayre...

Have you been to Diamond Peak? I very much enjoyed my 1 day there. Tree skiing was nice with lots of leftover powder. Killer views too. Probably go there on my birthday. It will still cost more this time since I'll have to buy my kids tickets. Last time it was $10 with my Snowbomb card.

BenedictGomez

I agree; the everyone gets a trophy mindset commingled with the everyone must be treated precisely the same mindset, likely killed it off.

Funky_Catskills

Have you been to Diamond Peak? I very much enjoyed my 1 day there. Tree skiing was nice with lots of leftover powder. Killer views too. Probably go there on my birthday. It will still cost more this time since I'll have to buy my kids tickets. Last time it was $10 with my Snowbomb card.

I had to spend a day there because the person I was traveling with had a free ticket.. We left early and went to Mt Rose after I got bored.
Personally I'd rather ride something with a bit more "teeth" when I'm in Tahoe. Alpine.... Sqaw.... Kirkwood..

jaytrem

I had to spend a day there because the person I was traveling with had a free ticket.. We left early and went to Mt Rose after I got bored.
Personally I'd rather ride something with a bit more "teeth" when I'm in Tahoe. Alpine.... Sqaw.... Kirkwood..

Well the powder probably helped, but I also love checking out the smaller places. Diff'rent strokes. I'll have an Ikon pass, but will also make time for the smaller places that I haven't been to yet. Guess I'm easily amused. Had a great time at some small PA places last weekend.

Funky_Catskills

Well the powder probably helped, but I also love checking out the smaller places. Diff'rent strokes. I'll have an Ikon pass, but will also make time for the smaller places that I haven't been to yet. Guess I'm easily amused. Had a great time at some small PA places last weekend.

When I go out west - I like to be challenged and a bit afraid on every run... I want something I can't get in the Northeast...

Funky_Catskills

The scenery from Diamond Peak is unmatched in the east! :)

But it's true, compared to the rest of the Tahoe mountains, Diamond Peak isn't the most exciting (and I don't even mean in the "afraid" department)

Wildcat may disagree with that

puckoach

Wildcat had the Free Birthday, until current ownership purchased management contract. Had a few friends with the same birthday. Was always, "you going this year?"

A few times, it was my only ski day of the year. Might have gone ten times on BD.

Used to ski there a lot in the 70's and early 80's. Always, ending my season there. Haven't been under current ownership, which is about 3 years ?

abc

Wildcat may disagree with that
Actually, Wildcat can't match Lone Peak. Even pales compare to Breckenridge.

But even those don't have a deep blue lake in the foreground. The only one "matching" that are Squaw and Homewood.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea. But 'unmatch' it is. Not in the east.

Funky_Catskills

Actually, Wildcat can't match Lone Peak. Even pales compare to Breckenridge.

But even those don't have a deep blue lake in the foreground. The only one "matching" that are Squaw and Homewood.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea. But 'unmatch' it is. Not in the east.

I dunno.. The view from that side of the lake is sweet.
But I love the Mount Washington view from Wildcat. I've been to all those places even ridden in the Himalaya but that view is sweet. It may be my relation with Tuckerman Ravine/GoS and all the amazing memories.

It's in my top 10 views :)

abc

Tuck is the ONLY bowl in the east. The first time I saw it, I was totally mesmerized. Even though I've seen the Tetons already. It is in a way special.

But it's different, not better.

Funky_Catskills

Tuck is the ONLY bowl in the east. The first time I saw it, I was totally mesmerized. Even though I've seen the Tetons already. It is in a way special.

But it's different, not better.

Still aint gonna get me to Diamond Peak... :)