Epic and Iconic One Wasatch transit plans revealed - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Mary Kate Buckley, Jackson Hole’s new CEO, agreed in an opinion piece of her own. “If Jackson Hole had chosen not to participate in one of those passes skier visits might have dropped to levels at which we could not sustain our operations,” she wrote.
    This is a CEO?

You cant say that IKON passes only represent (insert small percentage increase), and then 5 minutes later claim you'll be out of business without IKON. This is a bobble a 22 year old fresh off a Communications degree doesnt make. Yikes.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    That's a pretty sweet deal. I wonder if Alta/Snowbird will follow?
    I'm curious about who is paying for it. Is Alterra making that option available to those resorts as some sort of peace offering? Or are the resorts paying for it (obviously at some significantly reduced rate) to try to appease their own passholders?

And yes, one has to wonder if other partners will follow suit and offer it too. You know the ones that don't are going to start to get pressure from their passholders saying "why are so and so passholders getting a free Ikon pass but we're not".

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I'm curious about who is paying for it.
    I was wondering that myself. I wouldn't think Alterra is in such an aggressive growth phase that they'd just give these IKON passes away for free, but who knows. I think the more logical option is the resorts are paying for it in some fashion, and think it will be a carrot to help them sell more season passes.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I'm curious about who is paying for it. Is Alterra making that option available to those resorts as some sort of peace offering? Or are the resorts paying for it (obviously at some significantly reduced rate) to try to appease their own passholders?

And yes, one has to wonder if other partners will follow suit and offer it too. You know the ones that don't are going to start to get pressure from their passholders saying "why are so and so passholders getting a free Ikon pass but we're not".
    Same questions and concerns.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Same questions and concerns.
    Personally I wouldn't even mind if they offered it as an "add-on" and passholders had to pay a little something towards it.

Yes, the resorts are paying for it. Perhaps they are agreeing to reduced payments from Alterra to the resorts. More likely they are locking themselves into longer contracts with Alterra, perhaps extending the contracts from 3 years to 5 years, in exchange for the new benefits.

FWIW....

JHMR season pass is $1,469.

The cams show it is snowing and full on winter.

The mountain is closed!

Next years pass is Nov 28 to April 12th.

505" total snowfall.

193" in Feb.

Wow! But I would be beyond disappointed right now with the mountain closed.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    FWIW....

The mountain is closed!

505" total snowfall.

193" in Feb.

They are similar to Deer Valley--premium price, premium experience, but short season that is defined up front. Folks are complaining about Deer Valley being closed, but they have always done the same thing in the past...regardless of there being 4" or 40" of snow on the ground.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Yes, the resorts are paying for it. Perhaps they are agreeing to reduced payments from Alterra to the resorts. More likely they are locking themselves into longer contracts with Alterra, perhaps extending the contracts from 3 years to 5 years, in exchange for the new benefits.
    I wondered if there was some deal being made to get these passes to folks.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    FWIW....

The mountain is closed!

505" total snowfall.

193" in Feb.

Jackson has to close due towards migratory animals.....I was there closing week once, mid winter up top and late spring down low. Our condo was at the bottom of the hobacks. After beating our legs up all day we had to ski the hobacks back to the condo and it was in the mid 60's down that low.....was pretty tough finding the leg strength to ski thru full on corn moguls in the hobacks.

Thread Information