• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic and Iconic One Wasatch transit plans revealed

BenedictGomez

Telluride closes early for elk migration I believe. I didnt realize Jackson Hole did it for migratory reasons too (is it also elk?)

Are there any others beyond JH & Telluride?

crazy

Jackson has to close due towards migratory animals.....I was there closing week once, mid winter up top and late spring down low. Our condo was at the bottom of the hobacks. After beating our legs up all day we had to ski the hobacks back to the condo and it was in the mid 60's down that low.....was pretty tough finding the leg strength to ski thru full on corn moguls in the hobacks.

Jackson Hole faces mostly southeast, which is close to as bad as it gets in terms of aspect. You have it exactly right. You might have midwinter conditions late in the season up in Rendezvous Bowl or on the north-facing aspects like Alta Chutes and Tower Three Chute, but most of the mountain will be in full-on spring or worse conditions. That's the good and the bad also about having over 4K of vertical.

thetrailboss has it right though. It's all about money. If it's only season passholders showing up, Jackson Hole isn't making money. For all the venom towards destination skiers on the IKON Pass or buying day tickets, they are the bread and butter for these resorts. When they stop showing up, most resorts tend to close up shop.