• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole

Zand

Trying to gather information before I go for the first time. Will be there on the weekend so any tips for uncrowded lifts would be appreciated. Is Corbets doable right now for someone who doesn't prefer launching 20 feet in the air followed by a sudden turn?

Staying in town so any food tips would also be great.

Zermatt

I was there last weekend (16/17th) and Corbett's wasn't open. You could ski in on a very tight line, but it wasn't getting soft enough during the day so it never opened. No idea of the status right now.

Ski season is really over, even for the masses at Jackson. I wouldn't worry about the crowds at this point. When we were there the tram, Thunder and Sublette were the most crowded but I could ski right onto Marmot, Bridger, Teton and AV. We would hit the tram first then ski Sublette and Thunder until those got crowded then work our way over to the less crowded lifts.

No idea what the forecast is but if it is typical spring skiing stick to the groomers early. They have some double blue and blacks that get groomed and are really steep compared to anything in the east. If Snag Tree is groomed that is a fun run. As the snow softens then you go exploring off trail.

Big Hole BBQ, Merry Piglets (Mexican), Snake River Brewing and Roadhouse Brewery were all good. They all seemed to have happy hour deals on beer too.

kingslug

I wouldn't hit Corbettes until maybe your last day their...just in case.....
You have to hit those turns...really..have to.
And don't go into the Hobacks unless you find out how it is back there.

fbrissette

Was there two weeks ago. Corbett was open but it was a big drop on hard packed snow. The drop into the entrance vary from year to year but it was close to 20 feet this year. Saw one guy drop in, lost a ski on the first turn, tumbled all the way down. He was carried down in a stretcher. They closed it after. Would not consider it unless the snow is really soft on top. It is a very intimidating drop in but the run in itself is nothing special.

Good advice given above. In addition, depending on weather, snow conditions vary tremendously depending on aspect and elevation. North-east vs South West slopes can be extremely different depending on sun and temperature. It can be dry powder on the the north-east facing slopes, and refrozen shit ou south-west slopes, or, conversely, refrozen vs corn snow on warmer days.

Ask the mountain hosts (red jackets with radios) if you need tips. They are typically on top of everylift early early in the day.

Enjoy the steeps !

FBGM

If you have to ask “is Corbett’s do-able” you don’t belong there. Ski patrol will thank you.

fbrissette

Pic I took 2 weeks ago. Even though your skis will be incontact with snow (70+ degrees) on most of the drop in, this is pretty much like jumping from a three storey building and turning toward a rock wall. You really need to be a stud to ski this.
P1000258.jpg

Zermatt

If you have to ask “is Corbett’s do-able” you don’t belong there. Ski patrol will thank you.

Is that just the way it setup this year? I did it in March 2001 and it seemed like an easy (but steep) ski in. It was no big deal at all.

I looked at it a week ago and was glad it was closed. Made the decision very easy.

abc

No. Ski patrol will thank you for asking. Just because you did it successfully before, it may not be a few days later.

Some years, it's doable for mere mortals. Other years, it's too treacherous even for the skilled.

speden

... Is Corbets doable right now ...

Might want to wait for a good year on that. As Warren Miller used to say, "If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do."

I found JH to be a lot of fun, but very challenging. It's easy to get tired out pretty quickly on the steep stuff.

BenedictGomez

Might want to wait for a good year on that. As Warren Miller used to say, "If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do."

I dont think you're using that phrase in the proper context of the advice you're seeking to give.

Zand

I only asked about Corbets because I've seen POVs in the past couple weeks of people skiing into it without having to get air over the lip. Obviously if it's at all treacherous I won't even consider it but the videos made it look like it's having one of its better years.

TheArchitect

I skied Corbet's about a month ago so the conditions have certainly changed. The goat path was really hard and rutted up but that was a better alternative to the very long drop if you air'd it in. I "got down" the goat path with a poor quality jump turn and washed out a bit making the hard right turn but didn't lose my skis.

The guy who went before me missed the turn completely, did a 360 and tumbled head over heels half way down the run. When I got to him he said his ankle was broken so I called ski patrol and they came and got him.

mikec142

I only asked about Corbets because I've seen POVs in the past couple weeks of people skiing into it without having to get air over the lip. Obviously if it's at all treacherous I won't even consider it but the videos made it look like it's having one of its better years.

I was in Jackson three winters ago. I watched about 100 youtube videos of people doing Corbet's and by the time we went, I was 75% sure I would do it. Well, one look over the edge and I was like, no effin' way I'm doing it. LOL.

Have a great trip. It's a special place.

TheArchitect

BTW, if Corbet's is on your list make sure you hit Alta 1 chute and Tower Three Chute. Tough but fun runs without the insane entries like Corbet's.

kingslug

Baldy chutes Utah...done many times..I would not do Corbetts..the hitting the wall thing freaks me out..at least these are straight drops...

Attachments

• P1000484.jpg
    P1000484.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 70

abc

BTW, if Corbet's is on your list make sure you hit Alta 1 chute and Tower Three Chute. Tough but fun runs without the insane entries like Corbet's.
I don't quite "get" the appeal of Tower Three. It's right under the Thunder lift. Every time I looked down, I saw 9 out of 10 people NOT having a good time in there! (Even before this year's Ikon crowd on the mountain, Tower Three had always got more people on it than any other double black runs) It's all bumped up, the bumps looked like they were hard (even by Jackson standard).

I get Corbet. And I get Alta Chutes. They both had excellent snow, if you can handle the little bits of choke point. What's with Tower Three?

I confess I've never tried it. I always found other runs that are just as steep and have good snow. So didn't bother finding out what's the attraction of Tower Three.