• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WST: 3/30-31 The end is near? Or is it just the beginning?

rocks860

I tapped out, legs are toast. Disappointed the top of LP was so rough but got some good runs in. The sun was out at the top of mount Ellen but nowhere else as far as I could tell. Didn’t feel very warm either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWF-VT

I did the 1 to 4 PM shift at Mt Ellen today and had a blast. All the upper mountain natural snow trails were soft and deep. The fog/clouds cleared and the sun peaked out for a while.

JimG.

Staff member
Gore is socked in. No rain but low clouds and 35 degrees. Also trail report says most of mountain open but in fact most is closed. Snow is soft so IDK what is going on....[emoji848]

Not looking like a good day as of now...

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

I've noticed the "report says open but it's not" thing at Belleayre too this season. I decided to not let it stop me from skiing what has turned out to be perfectly good snow and terrain. Seems like a NYS area policy.

Griswold

First time at Blue today and regret it took so long. The bumps on razors edge were awesome. Must have done them top to bottom 15-20 times. Legs are toast!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Ol Dirty Noodle

Ended up getting really fun towards the end of the day at Bell, awesome weather to, did my last few runs in a tee

Kleetus

Snow here at Gore is soft at least...on what's open which is maybe 50% of what's on the report...

Well things did greatly improve around 12:30. Clouds broke, sun came out, and the Rumor glacier yielded a nice corn harvest the remainder of the day. Other trails also opened.

As a bonus, saw the High Peaks chair spinning. Went down last weekend and rumor was it was done for the season and maybe forever...props to Gore for appearing to have gotten it fixed.20190330_142918.jpg

Kleetus

I've noticed the "report says open but it's not" thing at Belleayre too this season. I decided to not let it stop me from skiing what has turned out to be perfectly good snow and terrain. Seems like a NYS area policy.
Yeah. Gore has done this for a while. Will say they did open more up as day went on. Not sure why it was closed in the first place as snow was soft but at least stuff did open eventually.

In general though, ORDA will close stuff that is more than skiable. I think maybe it's a patrol issue as I heard rumors in the past at Gore at least they were short patrollers and would keep stuff closed as a result.

legalskier

Yeah. Gore has done this for a while. Will say they did open more up as day went on. Not sure why it was closed in the first place as snow was soft but at least stuff did open eventually.

In general though, ORDA will close stuff that is more than skiable. I think maybe it's a patrol issue as I heard rumors in the past at Gore at least they were short patrollers and would keep stuff closed as a result.

Last week we were riding up the Straight Brook quad with a patroller when I asked why upper Double Barrel was closed, as the snow on it looked so good and lower DB was in great shape. Literally the next ride up we saw a patroller dropping the rope for both chutes. We had a good laugh.
One thing he mentioned was that they rarely open the chute under the old gondi (the side closer to Rumor) because there are old lift parts under the snow there.

Kleetus

Last week we were riding up the Straight Brook quad with a patroller when I asked why upper Double Barrel was closed, as the snow on it looked so good and lower DB was in great shape. Literally the next ride up we saw a patroller dropping the rope for both chutes. We had a good laugh.
One thing he mentioned was that they rarely open the chute under the old gondi (the side closer to Rumor) because there are old lift parts under the snow there.
The Barrel's I can understand why they hesitate to open them. Lots of times Darkside Glades or Rumor or other trails are closed when there is plenty of snow. That is when it's frustrating.

For example, during the MLK storm after 22" of fresh all glades on Burnt Ridge were closed initially despite a great base. I ended up poaching because I was like WTF...22" of fresh and great base why aren't they open. It was epic. Ran into patroller at the bottom with there dad in tow. They asked what I thought and was like it was awesome...two of my runs down Barkeater later they (same patroller) dropped the rope. In a case like that, it was already swept by patrol, open it.

Not bashing on Gore SP, but stuff takes an awfully long time to open there vs say Killington or other VT mountains...

Kleetus

The Barrel's I can understand why they hesitate to open them. Lots of times Darkside Glades or Rumor or other trails are closed when there is plenty of snow. That is when it's frustrating.

For example, during the MLK storm after 22" of fresh all glades on Burnt Ridge were closed initially despite a great base. I ended up poaching because I was like WTF...22" of fresh and great base why aren't they open. It was epic. Ran into patroller at the bottom with there dad in tow. They asked what I thought and was like it was awesome...two of my runs down Barkeater later they (same patroller) dropped the rope. In a case like that, it was already swept by patrol, open it.

Not bashing on Gore SP, but stuff takes an awfully long time to open there vs say Killington or other VT mountains...

Now I should add the caveat, never gotten written up by SP for poaching either.

Shouldn't have to poach perfectly skiable terrain though.

gladerider

Stratton is skiing very nicely. Soft snow everywhere, very little ice. Some bare spots. Visibility varies from pea soup fog to almost clear. Bottom of World Cup was very sticky; otherwise it’s not sticky at all.

planning to go up in 2 weeks. did the base look like it would last that long?

kingslug

Raining here..supposed to change to snow..??
44 degrees at the top..then dropping..when..i dont know..
Stopped raining..time to go
And thats that..windy and raining..2 runs..

Last edited:

Domeskier

First time at Blue today and regret it took so long. The bumps on razors edge were awesome. Must have done them top to bottom 15-20 times. Legs are toast!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

:thumbup: Great day for bumping at Blue yesterday!