The etiquette of passing (on skis) - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    If I'm ever close enough to someone to point out my relative position to them, I'll just slow down and wait for a better opportunity to pass.
    This is what I do too. I also access the abilities of the person downhill as that's important in the calculus.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Care to elaborate?

  3. #13
    I had some guy clip my skis this weekend as I was skating across some flat terrain near a lift. A little notice that he was approaching would have been nice.

    SoVT

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    This is what I do too. I also access the abilities of the person downhill as that's important in the calculus.
    Yep, that too. Maybe it's living in Manhattan, but hearing someone yell "on your left/right" usually sounds more like a threat than a courtesy to me. Like someone yelling "excuse me" on a crowded subway platform, where it's basically seen as a license to shove you on the tracks if you don't make way quickly enough.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Yep, that too. Maybe it's living in Manhattan, but hearing someone yell "on your left/right" usually sounds more like a threat than a courtesy to me. Like someone yelling "excuse me" on a crowded subway platform, where it's basically seen as a license to shove you on the tracks if you don't make way quickly enough.
    Fuck you didn’t fall on the tracks did you??? I just wanted you to skim off the incoming train lol

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Noodle View Post
    Fuck you didn’t fall on the tracks did you??? I just wanted you to skim off the incoming train lol
    Got jumped by some rats down there too!

  7. #17
    I ski weekdays most of the time, so this is not much of an issue. When I do see someone downhill, I pass far and wide, mostly in the opposite direction they are turning. I am gone far downhill before they knew I was there.

    I am usually doing about 50 MPH, or more, I don't take any chance passing close.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by John9 View Post
    I ski weekdays most of the time, so this is not much of an issue. When I do see someone downhill, I pass far and wide, mostly in the opposite direction they are turning. I am gone far downhill before they knew I was there.

    I am usually doing about 50 MPH, or more, I don't take any chance passing close.
    I'm not sure that's even possible at most hills in the East without straightlining.
    2018-2019 90 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/1, 12/15, 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/5, 1/12, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/25, 1/26, 1/27, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/15, 2/16, 2/17, 2/18, 2/20, 2/22, 2/23, 2/24, 3/2, 3/3, 3/10, 3/16, 3/17
    Killington: 11/16, 12/7, 12/9, 12/13, 12/20, 1/8, 1/9, 1/14, 1/23, 2/13, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 3/23, 3/24, 3/29, 3/30, 4/7, 4/20, 4/21, 5/4, 5/5
    Sugarbush: 12/8, 1/3, 1/17, 1/18, 4/6, 4/19 Mount Snow: 10/27, 11/21, 12/12
    Sunday River: 3/11, 3/12, 3/13
    Magic: 11/30, 1/11, 3/9 Jay Peak: 12/18, 1/15 Smuggler's Notch: 12/17 Sunapee: 12/19 Mad River Glen: 1/2 Mohawk: 1/4 Okemo: 1/7, 4/5 Pico: 1/10 Burke: 1/16 Belleayre: 2/1 Catamount: 2/6 Jiminy Peak: 2/12 Berkshire East: 3/6 Wildcat: 3/14 Bretton Woods: 3/15
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  9. #19
    That's what the ski tracks says. I don't straight line, I make turns, changing direction, but not reducing speed. I am the only one on the trail. I always do a reckon run to check conditions. I don't ski or pass anyone close.

    The one time I got passed, cut off this season was close call. Got sprayed with snow, he had to have been under 1 foot away, cutting in front of me. Pretty sure it would have wiped out less experienced skier/rider.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by John9 View Post
    The one time I got passed, cut off this season was close call. Got sprayed with snow, he had to have been under 1 foot away, cutting in front of me. Pretty sure it would have wiped out less experienced skier/rider.
    That's my main beef!

    I don't ski that fast. So sometimes others pass me. No problem there as long as they give sufficient space. Or even if not all that much space, just NOT cutting in front of my path right after passing!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.