Skiing the moguls

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Skiing the moguls

So..how do ski moguls? This weekend with the Big Bazookas, and out west I find I can just flash through them 6 at a time rather than hitting each one. Very economical, not as tiring for sure. Was skiing with a very good bump skier who had great form and she was like...you don't turn much? with fat skis I guess you don't have to..just kind of float through them.
    When it got mashed up more turning was required but certainly not as much as when I'm on the 85's. I don't think my knees could take that kind of hit them all pounding.

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

If you're absorbing them right, the knees don't take much of a pounding. Which is not to say it's not tiring. just more like running up a flight of stairs than jumping down them.

Thread doesn't compute unless you are skiing at a 45 degree angle to the fall line on well spaced, uniform bumps. As in riding the channel across the lines instead of skiing down them.

If you are committed to the fall line, i.e. the zipper, straightlining is still one turn per bump unless you go airborne or in some cases completing a second turn on the backside of a larger bump to check speed or reposition yourself in non-uniform lines.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Thread doesn't compute
    +1

Unless I'm misinterpreting his writing. Even Mikael Kingsbury has to ski each bump.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Slow and shitty, but I certainly turn on each bump, at least until I'm eventually tossed off the line or crash. But it certainly is fun.

Well, since you asked ... I am always looking for nice zipper lines. I find skiing good bumps to be as much fun as fresh powder. And I find anything much over 90mm underfoot to be a serious hindrance to making the quick turns that are needed.

East vs West again .....Recycled Concrete vs Packing Peanuts .....You can get away with wider skis out West .

Most people are better Mogul skiers than they know if they would just lower your stance and keep your hands out front . I see too many people keeping an upright stance after a bump or two it's backseat .
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    East vs West again .....Recycled Concrete vs Packing Peanuts .....You can get away with wider skis out West .

Most people are better Mogul skiers than they know if they would just lower your stance and keep your hands out front . I see too many people keeping an upright stance after a bump or two it's backseat .
    I either don't agree or don't understand what you mean. Of all aspects of skiing, moguls are where you want to ski as tall as possible. You want to allow the maximum leg travel absorbing the mogul with a steady, straight and quiet upper body. If you are skiing bumps with a crouched stance the absorption occurs in the upper body instead of the legs and that's when you get bucked backwards.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

If the bumps are very small and the run very un-steep, I could see just blasting through them with fat skis, otherwise...

I definitely turn on every bump. And if the moguls are big enough or spaced out a lot I like to cut an extra turn on the backside of a bump or in the wide trough, respectively.

I went skiing once with a guy I knew who worked at the rental shop at Wolf Creek. He knew I liked moguls but he told me he honestly had no interest in them anymore since he'd torn his ACL and messed up his back. So, he would ski a couple bumps, then get air on one and clear 4 or 5. I guess that's one way...

But I'm with Domeskier, moguls are easier on my knees than running.
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

I guess you could flash through 6 of them if they are small and soft. but not turn on every mogul on like National 7 days after a snowfall? Not really sure how that could happen...

or outer limits! Skip over 6 bumps on that one!

But on a powder day when the moguls are just coming to life, sure, I could see a stiff, wide ski just plowing through those piles...

Thread Information