Skiing the moguls - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanton View Post
    Excellent book for those interested in learning from a coach.

https://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Mo...gateway&sr=8-2
    Cool. Thanks. Just placed an order.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanton View Post
    Excellent book for those interested in learning from a coach
    This is interesting. Being TX-based, I'm always interested in reading material to improve my game and maximize my quality time on the snow.

DiPiro's book really resonated with me, how closely does The Invincible Mogul Skier track with Everything the Instructors Never...? Not that I'm concerned that the information would be redundant, but I'd be more inclined to pick up Mead's book if it teaches a similar style (I'm assuming it does).
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

Having self taught myself the bulk of my specialized skills and knowing how I learn, the way I basically taught myself to ski better was watching people that looked like they knew what they were doing from the lift and then tried analyzing why they were doing what they were before starting a run, and then try to ski the same line the same way.
    Helped immensely and I applied the same logic to moguls and glades, ride lifts with views of the run, find a good skier to watch and then emulate the same technique on my run. Some things worked for me, some didn’t but I never got in over my head that way but I also respected my limits. For example I would never watch a few people drop Corbett’s and think ok I’ll just do that... well maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    So..how do ski moguls? This weekend with the Big Bazookas, and out west I find I can just flash through them 6 at a time rather than hitting each one. Very economical, not as tiring for sure.
    Just read this thread now... Odds are this wasn't you, or maybe from the above it was a trial...

There was this guy on this past Sunday, coming down Lift-Line at Stowe, who appeared to be straight GS'ing all the moguls by skimming over the tops of them, at tremendous high speed. Being thrown all over the place in barely controlled 'out of control'.

The other locals and I on the chair never seen anything like it.

He also had a buddy behind him who was trying to ski moguls more 'normally', but was obviously pushing himself "too fast" to try to keep up at that insane "race over the bump tops" rate.

Is that the "flash over them" style you mean? Was that you by any chance? (Probably not). Wished I had the phone out to take a video. It was crazy and impressive and crazy again, all at the same time. Felt bad for his friend though.

Nope not me..never out of control..plus i was with my wife...who would be very far behind me. Im very aware of everyone around me..my biggest fear is hitting someone..so i never let that ever become a possibility...i have seen people..including today flying down the hill so fast they would have no chance to stop...
    Today was a sloooooow day..very sticky.
    I did finaly get into middle Starr which was a mogul fest.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

In reading through the posts, all of the videos here seem to show 'normal' (if advanced) mogul skiing.

Whereas what the Lift-Line guy was doing, was not turning at all and just skimming over the mogul tops in a straight-down-the-hill GS race line.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    If I turn on the top of a mogul and in the process some snow gets pushed into the trough, am I guilty of destroying the mogul ?
    I would say no. That's how the 'mogul master' at Aspen taught me, saying this is how "you can keep skiing moguls and beating the young kids in mogul races at my age." I think he was in his upper 70's. Crazy smooth style.

But then again...

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster View Post
    Tele turns tend to "chop off" the downhill side of the mogul, changing their shapes.
    ... I'm guilty of this too. But I'm just getting down the hill by doing what my skis want to do...

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    This is interesting. Being TX-based, I'm always interested in reading material to improve my game and maximize my quality time on the snow.

DiPiro's book really resonated with me, how closely does The Invincible Mogul Skier track with Everything the Instructors Never...? Not that I'm concerned that the information would be redundant, but I'd be more inclined to pick up Mead's book if it teaches a similar style (I'm assuming it does).
    I've been meaning to purchase Mead's book ever since it got on my radar a couple of weeks ago, this thread made me pull the trigger.

As for DiPiro's book, its a great book since it breaks the myths or beliefs brought forth by the ski instructor crowd. The latter cater to skiers who do not seek skiing a direct line in the moguls. I'm ok with instructors teaching non direct lines however its the misconceptions they foster that troubles me.

IMO, DiPiro's book provides the basics of moguls skiing to get one started but does not go into details of more advance techniques. Although he mentions some, the depth is lacking and I believe this was done purposely since he does believe newbies can get overloaded with too much information at the starting line. Its possible that his book is now outdated since it was published in 2005. Things are always evolving and competitive mogul skiing is no different, Dale Begg Smith blew away the field when it came to turns during the 06 Games in Torrino. That forced a lot of the competitors to ski more in the troughs or to change their strategy. I'm always game for reading anything related to mogul skiing.
    I rather be @ss noodling

Studied the shape of the moguks today..very chopped sides..very hard to get a rythym in there..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

0D2879C6-E4DD-4E5F-B730-BE3C9E341CDF.jpg
    Bumps here today were everywhere. It was like skiing through glue in slow motion but bumps nonetheless

Edit: so sticky that even the upside down trails were fine

So in the past, some people here posted about how they liked skiing frozen bumps. So at Vail, I opted to give them a try. I did not like frozen bumps in NE and it turns out I do not like them in CO. Yesterday was our first refreeze of the season with pretty warm temps the day before followed by a cold front, made for teeth chattering skiing. Really needed to drive the edges and it was fast.

Back to frozen bumps - only skied one run and that was interesting. So never liked scraped off bumps either but better than frozen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information