Skiing the moguls - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Is that guy prepared for avalanche, or is he camping on Mansfield?

he's probably just backcountry skiing off of the chin the same day. slides do happen in the notch and up high on mansfield sometimes.

i agree re: turning on top of the bumps. was an epiphany moment when i figured that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    i agree re: turning on top of the bumps. was an epiphany moment when i figured that one out.
    Also agree. In other threads I sometimes see complaints about noobs destroying bumps due to their poor mogul skiing technique. I fear I may be guilty of this because sometimes I am just trying to survive out there. But rarely is there an explanation of exactly what the noobs are doing that is so wrong. If I turn on the top of a mogul and in the process some snow gets pushed into the trough, am I guilty of destroying the mogul ?

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Also agree. In other threads I sometimes see complaints about noobs destroying bumps due to their poor mogul skiing technique. I fear I may be guilty of this because sometimes I am just trying to survive out there. But rarely is there an explanation of exactly what the noobs are doing that is so wrong. If I turn on the top of a mogul and in the process some snow gets pushed into the trough, am I guilty of destroying the mogul ?
    I'm not quite sure what people mean when they say they are turning on the top of a bump and contrast that with standard mogul technique. Bump skiers are also turning as they crest the bump. Granted, most of the turn happens when the skis are unweighted in the absorption phase, but the goal is to complete the turn as close to top of the backside of the mogul as possible to set up for the next bump.

I don't think poor bump technique is a big issue in firm, well-established bump lines. In soft corn, when the bumps are still setting up, an idiosyncratic turn or two can screw up a nascent line. That's why it's frustrating in late spring when K insists on grooming out Superstar every night.

Looking 3 bumps ahead and not at the current or next bump helps a ton.

Trying to teach my wife a very basic fact..if you want to ski moguls well..you have to ski moguls. This is very slowly sinking in..but she doesn't like them.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Trying to teach my wife a very basic fact..if you want to ski moguls well..you have to ski moguls. This is very slowly sinking in..but she doesn't like them.
    Have her ski some seeded bumps. My wife will try those a few times a season. It's easier to pick a line and get into a rhythm when the bumps are evenly spaced. It also helps if you can ski out of the bumps and onto a groomed section of the trail if her legs get tired.

SoVT

Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    Looking 3 bumps ahead and not at the current or next bump helps a ton.
    Agreed. The line will look less steep/intimidating and the bumps seem to come at you more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    My wife hates moguls and has no desire to learn how to ski them. It's a shame, as she'll never realize the joy of glade skiing.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Stuff like this you can fly through on fat boards..or any board I guess if you want. Launch, turn in the air..fun stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

This I would not fly on..Just watching people ski here is cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information