• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The dreaded ''Closings 2019'' thread

legalskier

It's with a heavy heart that I pass this info along. I'm very surprised about Blue- their base is still deep & last couple years they've made it into April. Ppl on that Pa. site are p*ssed.

Blue Mt Pa.: tomorrow Sat. 3-30-18 at 4 pm
Elk: Sat. 3-30-18 at 4:30
Montage: this weekend then re-open April 6
Mountaincreek: 4-1-19
Shawnee: closed

BUT! Campgaw intends to go til next weekend (but closed early in the week). Hooray for the little guy!

Last edited:

Domeskier

It's with a heavy heart that I pass this info along. I'm very surprised about Blue- their base is still deep & last couple years they've made it into April. Ppl on that Pa. site are p*ssed.

Yeah, Blue is definitely not closing Saturday due to lack of coverage. They are closed again today, too. I have never known a ski area to close so often for light rain/drizzle. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, Blue is definitely not closing Saturday due to lack of coverage. They are closed again today, too. I have never known a ski area to close so often for light rain/drizzle. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

They didn't used to, sounds like they may be having financial problems.

Domeskier

Definitely a money-saving move for whatever reason. I saw speculation on the PA site that the current owners are planning to sell. Maybe EPIC or IKON are in the market for a Poconos location to get a piece of the Philly market.

Domeskier

Definitely a money-saving move for whatever reason. I saw speculation on the PA site that the current owners are planning to sell. Maybe EPIC or IKON are in the market for a Poconos location to get a piece of the Philly market.

jg17

On the other end of the spectrum, Mountain Creek was planning on calling it Monday 4/7, but announced today that they're extending the season to Sunday 4/7.

asnowmobiler

what site is this on, I’m very interested in seeing what it says?

mikes

I was at Blue on Tuesday and conditions were good through most of the day. The place was pretty empty and I’m sure most of those there were season pass holders. Hard to make money under those circumstances. Vail rumors have been floating around on Paskiandride for some time.

asnowmobiler

I just checked out that forum and couldn’t find a thread about blue being up for sale or being sold. I did see a few posts in some threads that hinted about it and some about money issues but not much.
I’ve heard this rumor going around at the mountain much of the year and I wished I could find more about it.
Some people say Vail is buying it but I find that hard to believe. Peaks would be my best guess and would be awesome to have it on the Peaks Pass.

mikes

No there has been nothing anywhere near official... just internet chatter. I’d be interested in seeing it join a multi mountain pass that would give us PA and NJ skiers some other options up north. Peak is the only option right now but I don’t have any interest in JF.

asnowmobiler

I agree. I had the Peaks pass two years ago and got tired of Frost and Boulder very quickly, they are both only about 15 minutes from home, blue is about 30 minutes.. We did a bunch of trips to Hunter and mount snow but doing that gets costly with lodging, fuel ect. Plus we do a week out west once a year, so a pass that covers that would be awesome.

Domeskier

Would be nice if Vail came in and replaced those side-by-side doubles with a quad.

legalskier

BUT! Campgaw intends to go til next weekend (but closed early in the week). Hooray for the little guy!

Closed for season. And I wanted to get a few laps in this afternoon after a morning softball game- good thing I checked their site. Oh well.

I’m at blue now, it’s very thin and mostly ice. They would have to move a lot of snow around to make it another weekend.

Looks pretty darn good on their mountain cams:
http://www.skibluemt.com/mountain-cams/

asnowmobiler

Sure there were some very good parts, but there were places where it was almost edge to edge with dirty ice. Lazy mile was horrible on left for most of the run.
so yeah you could pick your way around but bring your rock skis.
as much as a hate Camelback. I may go there next weekend to ski free and get tacos at the shack.