• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

seriously, go to silverton

KustyTheKlown

Do they require avi level 1 certificate at least...

no certification required. beacon/shovel/probe required. mandatory safety meeting before riding heli and a very quick and dirty "what to do in an avalanche" presentation (ski out at a 45 degree angle, swim like hell if you get caught, a quick beacon demo)

KustyTheKlown

lol. not afraid per se, but felt like bringing my A-game

no one actually reviewed the questionairre, and i doubt they look at it unless things go sour

jaytrem

Avy gear is required and you fill out a form on your first day describing your ski skills, fitness level, backcountry experience, and home resort

That's interesting, I think when I went they just asked your fitness level. Was probably 10 years ago though. Relatively new at the time, so maybe they figured if you've bothered to come here you can probably ski pretty well. "Home resort" might be a good one to estimate how much wind you'll be suckin'.

KustyTheKlown

i thought of it more for things like "well this guy says he's an expert resort skier with minimal backcountry experience, but his home resort is mount snow, so he's probably not as good as he thinks he is, and we may need to watch out for him being a jerry"

kingslug

I use the term expert..very carefully in some places..JH is not one of them LOL...
In Zermatt we hired guides..2 groups. They hand out beacons..everyone is like ..what are these for..I say ..to find your body.
Massive avalanche almost wipes out 5 of them that day...
3 day avi level certificate is fun and a good thing to get.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
yea, im already researching a full day of heli for next year. selkirk tangiers near revelstoke may be the winner. ~$1250 for a six drop day and can build it into a revelstoke ikon trip. or maybe back to silverton where you can get a la carte single drops for $180. if they do the $150 spring pass again with the $40 heli add on, i'm all over it. it also came with 3 days at smuggs (unrestricted) and 3 at mrg (weekdays only). i got 7 ski days and a heli drop for $190

How is the weather in British Columbia vs Co. I was told in Banff that Heli ski bluebird days are rare ?

BenedictGomez

i thought of it more for things like "well this guy says he's an expert resort skier with minimal backcountry experience, but his home resort is mount snow, so he's probably not as good as he thinks he is, and we may need to watch out for him being a jerry"

I imagine that's pretty spot-on.

KustyTheKlown

How is the weather in British Columbia vs Co. I was told in Banff that Heli ski bluebird days are rare ?

many bluebird days during my 8 days in banff/revy this year. they were in a high pressure pattern while the western us was getting dumped upon in feb. dunno if that is typical. my money certainly goes way further in canada than in colorado, and flying to calgary is easier and less expensive than montrose/durango

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
many bluebird days during my 8 days in banff/revy this year. they were in a high pressure pattern while the western us was getting dumped upon in feb. dunno if that is typical. my money certainly goes way further in canada than in colorado, and flying to calgary is easier and less expensive than montrose/durango

Did a Heli day in 85 while on a Banff trip . Our guide said they were rare . We took off at 9:30 and and once back in the mountains the sky was 40% cloud cover . We did 10K vert and by 1:00 they sky was 60% on the way out we were almost 100% was sketchy coming through the lass mountain pass. There was a Chinook wind off the Pacific so once in the valley it was bluebird again . Scary but awesome time despite this happening the day before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Thomas_Scurfield

I triggered a small slab on our last run down low . The snow looked so inviting but it didn't take much to set it off .

Is the cat skiing terrain as good as the Heli terrain ? . How does it compare for $$$ I imagine it would be cheaper but slower although not as weather dependent .

KustyTheKlown

no idea about the cat skiing. and i'm sure it's great fun, but man i am heli hooked at the moment. chasin the dragon.

Whitey

KK -

Way to get after it. I get tired sometimes just reading some of your stuff and all of the "I left at 3AM", "didn't get home until midnight", "took the redeye flight back", etc. kind of things you do to get your skis on the snow as often as you do. In addition to the amazing and challenging skiing at Silverton, I think everybody on this forum understands the kind of commitment, dedication, and effort it takes to pull off a trip like that and to get out and get after it as often as you do.

I tip my cap to you, sir.

KustyTheKlown

thanks. i appreciate that. i go hard to go hard. as much as i lament the upcoming end of season, i look forward to reconnecting with friends who don't ski, to seeing live music on the weekends, to spending time with my girlfriend more, to sleeping past 6:30 AM on a saturday, and to maybe getting a dog...

my birthday is this friday. to celebrate, we are leaving after work at 5:30 PM instead of 3:30 AM, staying at the (totally beautiful and renovated) lake bomoseen lodge in castleton, will hit the bear mountain mogul challenge saturday, and probably stratton sunday

next weekend hoping for sugarbush x 2

the following weekend my company is closed for good friday and i'm thinking sugarloaf since i have the 3 day weekend

my lease ends on 4/28 and i am not renewing it so i need to attend to the car last weekend of april. gonna try to not have a car and save the monthly payment for may and june and get something new in july. will need to borrow my parents' or sister's car or get a buddy to drive for may superstar sessions.

raisingarizona

My lady doesn't ski. Big winters here really put strain on our relationship. She does her best to understand but non skiers don't get it completely. I'm kind of done by mid March anyways and I feel kind of relieved once I feel satisfied and ready to be done. My feet are pretty stoked too.

KustyTheKlown

my girl is (used to be) a big surfer. she injured herself about two years ago in siargao (phillippines), and had major hip surgery last january for a torn labrum and other injuries.

her recovery has been long and slow, and she is still in twice a week physical therapy.

last year she tried snowboarding at okemo a week before her surgery. it was also the crazy cold week after new years. then she had her surgery and was laid up all season. after she could walk she would come with and just hang out in the lodge, working on her laptop, reading for pleasure, drinking a lot. this year i got her an ikon pass and she's tried to ski and has about 10 days out. her days consist of two runs on the bunny hill or an easy green from the top, before her hip starts to bother her and call it a day.

its frustrating for her to not be able to learn to ski, and even more frustrating for her to not be able to surf or even go to the gym to work out and run.

she just bought me my ikon pass for next year for my birthday, and also renewed her own. so she's a trooper, and i hope she gets better and can eventually excel.

she's also a talented photographer, and the high quality pics my friend's wife took of us at silverton kind of upset her, because her reaction was "i'll never be good enough to take pics like this of you." i told her it didnt matter, and that to ski at my level is a bar most women, especially in nyc, will never be able to achieve.