• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Very cool history of the Poconos skiing history.

danimals

Cool to hear about big boulders snowmaking. I wonder how those winters were before it was up and running.

The list is missing a few though. Wouldn’t montage and elk be Pocono areas, especially if they consider big bear to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

The list is missing a few though. Wouldn’t montage and elk be Pocono areas, especially if they consider big bear to be?

Funny...I was just researching that same thing. Technically Elk is in the Endless Mountains and not the Poconos. Montage I can't find exactly what it is part of, but their own website says they are "close to the Poconos". It surprised me as well because Montage is closer to Camelback than Big Bear.

Also thought the mention of Karl Hope in relation to Shawnee was interesting to me. I'm guessing he had something to do with the development of Masthope (although perhaps not the Big Bear ski area itself) as one of the main roads in that community leading to Big Bear is "Karl Hope Blvd"

cdskier

I'd also argue that the article should mention ski areas no longer active (i.e. Tanglwood) if they want it to be more about history and not just a marketing platform for the region.

mbedle

Great Pics. Found a map online of what is defined as the Pocono Mountains. Kind of odd, since I wouldn't have thought they went all the way to NY. Basically its Carbon, Wayne, Monroe and Pike counties. full_map.jpg

EPB

Apologies if this has been hashed out elsewhere, but I was wondering if there is a consensus about where the best place(s) are to go in the Poconos to get your fix when getting up to the Catskills isn't an option. Living in Morris County these days and have only been to JFBB on my Peak pass that I will not get next year. Thanks.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

trackbiker

Apologies if this has been hashed out elsewhere, but I was wondering if there is a consensus about where the best place(s) are to go in the Poconos to get your fix when getting up to the Catskills isn't an option. Living in Morris County these days and have only been to JFBB on my Peak pass that I will not get next year. Thanks.

If you're talking about on a weekend I would say Elk is your best choice but it's the farthest. Montage is closer and a good choice for a weekend day.
I would avoid Camelback and Blue on a weekend but both would be good choices for a weekday. I like Blue better than Camelback but it's a little farther from Morris County.

Domeskier

If you like bumps, Blue is hands down the best option. They also seem to have a decent park scene, but that's probably true at Camelback too. Crowds are definitely an issue on midwinter weekends at either of those places. Never been to Elk - looks great, but if I'm driving that far, I might as well go to Vermont.

raisingarizona

I would drive a little further and head on up to Plattekill or Vermont.

Or move.

EPB

Blue sounds tempting because of the bump scene, vert and high speed lifts. Sounds like getting there early would be wise. Elk looks to be dangerously close to Catskills distance for me, but might be worth it to about crowds. Montage seems like an interesting play, too.

EPB

I would drive a little further and head on up to Plattekill or Vermont.

Or move.
We'll see on the latter part. Not gonna happen before next ski season anyway... Platty is on the hit list next year. Sometimes, time constraints make it difficult to justify a quick trip over 2 hours.

Domeskier

Blue sounds tempting because of the bump scene, vert and high speed lifts. Sounds like getting there early would be wise.

The weekend night sessions aren't that bad either. I enjoy skiing bumps under the lights - better contrast on most days for those of use with aging eyes.

EPB

I don't know what else to say. I'm not leaving my job, and I don't have full autonomy over my schedule because I have a family. Moved here for a good career opportunity.

Skiing isn't #1 in my life. If it were, I would live a completely different existence in/near a ski town.