New to You in 2018-2019 - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by heiusa View Post
    I lived in So Cal for 10 years and I have skied all the places you are listing;

Alta Sierra - not familiar with this place
    Maybe this is the wine I had tonight talking, but something doesn't quite add up here...

Alta Sierra was Shirley Meadows and I think maybe Trinity. It's up near Bakersfield.

Most of my plan has the crowded places on weekdays. But I put Mountain High on a weekend so that Sunrise is open. I've been to Big Bear on a power weekend, they seem to have the lift capacity for the crowds. The drive down was insane though. We saw over 30 cars off the road. Was never so happy to see rain we we got finally got low enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    What days were you there? Funny that 3 of us were there in the last week or so.

I'm tempted to book a flight now for another Cali trip in Feb. Still a couple SoCal places I haven't hit along with June. Prices (and mileage flights) are real good now, but you never know what you'll get out there this far in advance. Preliminary plan...

Fly Firday evening
    Baldy
    Mt High (need old Sunrise part)
    Snow Valley
    Big Bear Lake
    Mammoth
    June
    Mammoth
    Alta Sierra
    Waterman (plus maybe a couple runs at Buckhorn Ski Club next door)
    Sunday Night redeye

The earlier you book the more time you get to look forward to it!
    We were there Easter Sunday through Wednesday ski wise. How did you go? We went to RNO and drove, pretty ride most of the way if a bit long. This time of year, airline options into MMH from the East are all but non-existent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    We were there Easter Sunday through Wednesday ski wise. How did you go? We went to RNO and drove, pretty ride most of the way if a bit long. This time of year, airline options into MMH from the East are all but non-existent.
    OK, you were there a few days after us. Hope we left enough snow for you. Pretty crazy this year. I have a pic from Diamond Peak with just the very top of a trail sign peaking through the snow.

I prefer direct flights, so we flew into Oakland and out of SF. For some reason it was about a third of the price if we dropped off the rental car from either Oakland or San Jose. Worked out well, on the way to Tahoe we went to the Jelly Belly factory then did half a day at Tahoe Donner. Went to Six Flags on the way back.

I was there the week before. So got lucked out with a 4" (officially, more up mountain). That was spread over 2 days, as the upper mountain wasn't open till the 2nd day. Then, it quickly turn corny. Very very nice corn, mind you.

For Mammoth, I've done it both from Reno and Vegas (or even LAX). Reno is shorter, and can be combined with skiing in the Tahoe mountains. So that's my preference. But sometimes, Vegas can have significantly cheaper flights.

To break up the boredom of the drive, I typically fit in a short hike or two along the way. (will finish my trip report in the other section and post picture of hike when I get home tonight)

Yeah, no hiking on the drive down to Mammoth as Delta cancelled our morning flight out of BOS last Saturday. So instead of Reno at 430p, we got in at 9pm. That drive is rough at night when you are approaching 3am your body clock time! Plenty of snow left, nothing fresh but not what I was looking for this time of year. Tough the first 2 days the upper summit was pretty much frozen in, but it freed up last 2 days. So much terrain!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Plenty of snow left, nothing fresh but not what I was looking for this time of year.
    Same here, I was actually disappointed that it was snowing and not sunny. Most of the week was beautiful though.

Plenty of snow left, nothing fresh but not what I was looking for this time of year

So much terrain!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    Same here, I was actually disappointed that it was snowing and not sunny.
    Definitely the case. But Mammoth is a special case, same like Whistler. It's so high that it CAN get fresh snow really late in the season (or some say, in the middle of summer!).

New to me this past season Whisper Ridge Cat Skiing in Paradise (aptly named!) UTAH. Finally got back to Utah (after a 2 year absence) to use our WR vouchers given to us (thank you WR!) when our first try at back country skiing was rained out. If you never tried cat skiing it can't be beat when the snow is deep, and this is the place! Fortunately during our week in Utah over 3' of snow fell so fresheis were everywhere! Nothing like skiing vast expanses of untracked powder with friends old and new!
    Definitely checked that entry off my bucket list for sure, though I'll be back again!

Thread Information