New to You in 2018-2019 - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Plattekill & Magic are absolute musts, possibly the 2 best sleeper areas in the east. Do not "book" a trip to Whiteface, go to Whiteface only once it gets the goods, most serious mountain in the east IMO, but it will stink if it's been a while since it snowed (i.e. Iceface).
    Thanks, BG. Would have crossed Plattekill off the list this year if not for the Peak pass. Meant to stay in So VT closer to Mt. Snow this year with friends, but hope to next year. Unsure if I'll be able to swing a day at Magic, but that's the hope.

Warren Miller was giving away tickets to Gore and Whiteface, so hoping to go to the show and make use of those, too. Gore would be new to me, but is lower priority.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Solitude with 2 feet while we were there. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Thanks, BG. Would have crossed Plattekill off the list this year if not for the Peak pass. Meant to stay in So VT closer to Mt. Snow this year with friends, but hope to next year. Unsure if I'll be able to swing a day at Magic, but that's the hope.

Warren Miller was giving away tickets to Gore and Whiteface, so hoping to go to the show and make use of those, too. Gore would be new to me, but is lower priority.
    Gore is a huge sleeper in my opinion. Really terrific mountain that many people overlook. And like BG said, Platty should definitely be a priority when they have everything open.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Gore is a huge sleeper in my opinion. Really terrific mountain that many people overlook. And like BG said, Platty should definitely be a priority when they have everything open.
    Agreed with Gore, great mountain when it gets snow, has some really good trees. Its been too long since I have been there.

Whitefish MT and Whistler. It's been a couple years since I've done 2 west trips in a season so Im pretty happy about these. Locally, just a glade or two at Cannon/Mittersill that I hadnt noticed before.

Yes, I definitely consider myself lucky! As a family, we have been traveled a lot, like ~60 days a year since my youngest turned 2 year old. Through those travel days, we figured out our own travel routine that made travel much easier. We also found ways to make travel much cheaper than normal.

As we started to ski, we just changed some "regular" travel vacation into ski travel vacation. This is the season we get to ski a lot, especially ski a lot out west in our 2nd season.

Quote Originally Posted by gladerider View Post
    you hit all those in your second year? lucky dog!

We skied 20 days in the first year, and more than 50 days this year. So in terms of number of days, we have some mileage. Another factor is that we like to keep pushing ourselves to harder terrain, which helped.

Last comment is that I think there is a big difference between being able to ski certain terrain and being able to ski it gracefully. We are definitely not gracefully at all. Still a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Also that they are skiing trees in their 2nd year of skiing and skiing off the castle rock chair.

Finally got to Magic!

a lot of the mountain was frozen from a rain the night before, but miraculously Red Line, Goniff Glade and a few things near them were super soft and tons of fun!

Loved the vibe of the place....so glad to finally visit.

Our second year hitting Manchester for Pres. weekend, and I think we'll make it a regular plan. Several mountains to choose from, never felt str jam packed in the restaurants....nice trip. Skied Bromley as well, but that wasn't new to us. They avoided all the rain and we had soft bumps all over the mountain. Fun stuff.

Also, Breckenridge this year - returning after nearly 30 years...so it felt like new to me.

Buttermilk

Been to Aspen many times, never hit Buttermilk until this year. It was a "mini-powder-day" (i.e. 2-3"). We knew the "normal" terrain in Highland/Snowmass would be skied off (even though it's Aspen). Decided to hit Buttermilk in the hope the beginners don't go off the groomer.

It worked.

Was also considered Revelstoke. But they didn't get as much snow as mountains south of the border. So no go.
    Last edited by abc; Apr 3, 2019 at 1:30 PM.

Thread Information