• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to You in 2018-2019

Edd

Our second year hitting Manchester for Pres. weekend, and I think we'll make it a regular plan. Several mountains to choose from, never felt str jam packed in the restaurants....nice trip.

Manchester is a great spot, IMO. I don’t mind that it’s a bit of a drive to Mt Snow. Good hotels and restaurants.

bushpilot

Mt Shasta was a nice little spot in Northern California. All fixed grip lifts but they moved pretty fast and a nice mix of terrain.

Also hit Mt Rose and Sugarbowl. Planning to hit squaw this month and again over Fourth of July.

legalskier

Beware wind holds after big dumps at WF, I've been burned more than once.

Last time I was there that happened. You're down at the base looking up at this great mountain but you can't get to it- really frustrating. We packed up & headed south to Gore where everything was open. That's held me back from returning ever since.
Same thing happened 10 days ago but we were at Gore & on Sunday ppl on the lift said they'd come down from WF because everything there was closed on Sat.

BenedictGomez

a-basin is easly the best ski area in the denver area (including all of summit county, vail/eagle county, and winter park/grand county).

it's really the only consistently interesting terrain in the entire region.

I'd take Loveland over Arapahoe Basin if I lived there and bought a season pass.

jaytrem

Mt Shasta was a nice little spot in Northern California. All fixed grip lifts but they moved pretty fast and a nice mix of terrain.

I'm jealous, missed out on a planned trip to Shasta during one of my low-snow Oregon trips. Oregon is my nemesis. Will head back one of these years with the hopes that third time's a charm. Ended up driving to Idaho on trips 1 and 2.

Cornhead

Last time I was there that happened. You're down at the base looking up at this great mountain but you can't get to it- really frustrating. We packed up & headed south to Gore where everything was open.
My son and I did the same thing. Stayed in Wilmington overnight, cleaned two feet off my car, nothing but bear running at WF. We went to Gore too, but the summit wasn't open. I remember riding the quad being brutal. Be aware you can't ski Gore on a WF ticket, or vice versa, as in the past. I got a WF raincheck on one of those windy days and tried to redeem it at Gore the next season. This is when they were transferable. They wouldn't give me a Gore ticket. I was flabbergasted. I told the lady at the ticket window that I could drive to WF, get a WF ticket, go right to the lift at Gore and use my WF ticket, but she wouldn't give me a Gore ticket for my WF raincheck, wtf? Welcome to NY.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Pez

Big Sky was new to me in 2019. Can't wait to go back.

bushpilot

I'm jealous, missed out on a planned trip to Shasta during one of my low-snow Oregon trips. Oregon is my nemesis. Will head back one of these years with the hopes that third time's a charm. Ended up driving to Idaho on trips 1 and 2.
When were you here? Did you try Mt Bachelor? Huge mountain with the most consistent conditions I’ve experienced. 443 inches so far this year!

BenedictGomez

Forgot to add Sundance to this list, so Snowbasin & Sundance for me. I liked them both.

That makes 9 of the 10 Wasatch areas I've skied (missing Brighton).

Hawk

Aspen, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass for me. We had a friend that rented a house for a month out there. Looking at the weekly rental costs, I don't think I would go there on my own. But with a free place to stay, all good. We got the Mountan collectice 50% off deal. Thanks Win and Sugarbush. All three mountains are really nice but Highlands is the best with the longest sustained steep runs. That place is aesthetically one on the most beautiful places to ski with the Maroon Bells, Mt Pyramid and other 14ers all around. Also a really fun town. Not all Shee-Shee all the time. We found the local folks to be a real hoot to party with.

jaytrem

When were you here? Did you try Mt Bachelor? Huge mountain with the most consistent conditions I’ve experienced. 443 inches so far this year!

Looks like it was 2005 and 2015. Bachelor was good both times. Actually spent 3 days there in 2005 rather than just the one I had planned. Was a low snow year for them but they still had plenty. But Hoodoo, Willamette, Hood Ski Bowl, Ashland were all either closed or just running beginner areas. Got lucky with Timberline a Hood Meadows, storm rolled in at the end of both trips. Destroyed my snowboard on those sharp pointy rocks though.

Still working on my 10 new for the year. Picked up Tahoe Donner and Sky Tavern this week. Planning on Soda Springs/Boreal tomorrow and Granlibakken Sat or Sun. Yes, I'm trying to set a record for the lowest average vert for 10 new areas.

jimk

I too found Skrn's progression interesting, e.g. second year person talking about Castlerock. But 50 days in second year is getting into it in a big way:daffy:

3.5 new.
1. Crested Butte: funnel at crested butte.jpg
2. Big Sky:
DSCN8191.jpg
3. Telluride: climbing gold hill telluride.jpg

.5 Beavers at A-Basin: DSCN7684.jpg Bonus shot of Telluride

Attachments

• telluride best pal sj gold hill.jpg
    telluride best pal sj gold hill.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 75

skimagic

I picked up Jack Frost and Montage. First-time skiing in PA.Montage had some fresh Pocono Pow (the man-made stuff).

Outwest I picked up Loveland and Cooper this year.

The snow cat terrain at Cooper looks great , I wish Ithey could put a lift up there. LL was a bluebird spring day. Perfect. I loved the vibe

crank

Mt Orford, Owls Head, Val d'Isere, Tignes.

Nothing new in country.

jaytrem

The snow cat terrain at Cooper looks great , I wish Ithey could put a lift up there. LL was a bluebird spring day. Perfect. I loved the vibe

Well at least Cooper has that cool new t-bar coming. Great place to go to avoid the crowds. Skied there on Saturday of Presidents weekend 1 year. Maybe there was a 4 chair wait.

Knocked off Soda Springs and Boreal today. Great time at Soda Spring, plenty of untracked...hmmm...mush. Big fun on a snowboard. Boreal was a s#!t show. Fun terrain features, but they seemed unprepared for the crowds the $25 ticket would bring in. Wish they had more lifts/terrain open. But trip has been so great I can't complain about 1 less thsn perfect afternoon. Funny how I was looking more forward to Boreal, but had a much better time at Soda, just goes to show ya.

Now just need Granlibakken to bring me home!

jaytrem

Okay got one today. Mount Bohemia. Great place!

Awesome! How did you manage to get up there?

I did manage to make it to Granlibakken today. I'm finally "Tahoe complete" Crazy day at Squaw, skied in rain, snow, hail, sunshine. Surface conditions were great though. Cut out at 2:45 and caught a courtesy shuttle to the car. We made from snow to Granlibakken in about 15 minutes. Spent about an hour on the poma and another hour on the sledding hill. Kids and I had a great time there. Funny thing is they ran that poma lift all day and we made the 3rd track down the hill at around 3.

Anyway that completes my 10 new ski areas that pretty much nobody will be jealous of. I'll have to check the stats, but I suspect their total combined vert is less than a number of North America's larger ones. We had a great time at ll of them, even with the lightning at Bear Creek and the craziness at Boreal.