• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wst 4/6-4/7

Teleskier

I did check out the webcams yesterday, and at first, I thought I had an old cached pic from last weekend. The fog blanket over the mountain looked identical! Felt for you again.

Happily I got out for some semi-bluebird corn snow on tele's on Wed (great corn snow, brilliant moments of sun between clouds, windy but way less than forecasters warned), since I felt the weather would do what it did end up doing over the weekend up north.

If need be, I'd be happy enough if that was my last day of the year. Had a blast in the soft corn in the sun.

However I'm still holding out hope for a bluebird weekend before closing. Haven't put away my ski clothes yet.

kingslug

Total fog at Stowe saturday..wanted to hit SB sunday..but no one wanted to..you know..might as well go home. So we wont be late for work monday..i mean its april..why ski when we can go to fucking work..
This..is not working out...

Kleetus

Stellar day at MRG. First 2 runs were firm since I was there for 9, but by 10 the corn horn had started to blow. Tremendous turns were had all over. Snowpack was among the best I have experienced at the glen.

Light crowd until 11ish, then the line for the single got to around 15-20 minutes and stayed there until I left to head back at 3. As is my MRG tradition, grabbed a sun soaked deck brew at General Stark's before hitting the road.

One of the best weekends of my season.20190407_130418.jpg20190407_131134.jpg20190407_145548.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

We had a solid spring weekend at SR. Saturday was cloudy but no fog, today the sun came out in the afternoon. There is still a TON of snow out there. Things got slushy by late afternoon on the exposed trails but the shaded woods stayed cooler and pleasantly soft.

I spent most of today in the woods of Jordan/Oz and they are in great shape for April 7. Even the more-exposed parts of Blind Ambition are holding the snow well.

With more snow on the way, it’s shaping up to be a great last few weeks.

d46143505c591c374e2ecbee01dc36c1.jpg
dc569a98fc24cee29428fb54dd4a2360.jpg
ffe776e49d54ce4a657ce7ef4f6f0980.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll second that!! Great weekend even though the sun was a bit shy til this afternoon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Skrn

Great day at Sugarbush today, even better than Saturday. Got there at 9am and had the first run at Paradise. Surprisingly, it is already softened. Then we had a run at paradise woods and another run at paradise, snow was getting softer and softer. Moved to castle rock chair at 10am and started to lap there. Everything skied well and line was short. Had many runs there before and after lunch. Lower mountain turn d into slush in the afternoon but castle rock and paradise area skied great all day. Today is one of top 5 east coast days this season.

WWF-VT

Great day at Sugarbush today, even better than Saturday. Got there at 9am and had the first run at Paradise. Surprisingly, it is already softened. Then we had a run at paradise woods and another run at paradise, snow was getting softer and softer. Moved to castle rock chair at 10am and started to lap there. Everything skied well and line was short. Had many runs there before and after lunch. Lower mountain turn d into slush in the afternoon but castle rock and paradise area skied great all day. Today is one of top 5 east coast days this season.

It was nice that the sun came out today late in the morning. I also lapped the Castlerock chair and it looks like they'll have to farm some snow to keep the final turn open to the lift as it was down to a single track by mid afternoon.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington was spectacular today. Seeded bumps on OL (with a set of jumps!), Highline, and Wildfire. The bumps on OL and Wildfire were some of the biggest I have seen this season anywhere. Definitely above my waist by the end of the day. I was not around for the "glory days" of Bear mountain in the 80s when snow was made on the Fiddle, no groomer came near the steeps, and bumps were the size of Beetles, but I'd imagine it was a lot like today. People everywhere having fun. People all over OL...some mashing bumps like the pros, some picking their way down, and some (quite a few today!) falling on their ass.

Canyon was spectacular skiing, especially Big Dipper bumps. Ovation was a total cornfest. The "spine" of Superstar was fun to shred...tough to describe if you're not familiar with it, but it's essentially a 15-30ft near-vertical wall running down the Superstar trail with lots of irregularities. I did three runs and that wiped out my legs faster than anything else I've ever skied period.

What a day. See you on Easter Killington!

KustyTheKlown

had a fine weekend. killington saturday. bear/south ridge was sun all day, north side was in clouds. snow was fine. skied all the snowdon glades. logged 30k vertical and partied at the BMMC

sunday was stratton. always a big meh. but i knocked out 23k vert in 3 hours and was home by 5:30

sankaty

Loved Killington on Saturday. Several great runs through the trees on Patsy's and a couple of nice bump runs on Stitchline.
On Sunday, lapped Summit Glades at Pico almost all day. Perfect spring bumps. Seems like cheating after negotiating the frozen troughs through midwinter.

Skied both days on my new Kore 93s, which I'm loving. Have Salomon Shift bindings on them paired with Atomic XTDs. They're great going up and down.

KustyTheKlown

Loved Killington on Saturday. Several great runs through the trees on Patsy's and a couple of nice bump runs on Stitchline.
On Sunday, lapped Summit Glades at Pico almost all day. Perfect spring bumps. Seems like cheating after negotiating the frozen troughs through midwinter.

Skied both days on my new Kore 93s, which I'm loving. Have Salomon Shift bindings on them paired with Atomic XTDs. They're great going up and down.

i was super impressed with patsy's, low rider, and tinman on saturday. excellent coverage. my favorite glades at killington. wish they were longer. tinman was closed and was rope duckably perfect with the 2" of cream on it

Edd

Do tell more about the kores..thinking of getting them to replace my old Sultans

Don’t know the Sultans but I’m really enjoying the Kore93s after 6 days on them. Stiff, short turn radius, and light as hell. It’s an unusual ski.

The stiffness troubles me in the bumps but I’m not a great bump skier anyway. I’ve seen conflicting opinions online as to weather you’d call the ride “damp”. IMO, it’s not damp at all but I’m ok with that. Confidence inspiring ski.

bluebird

Depressed..this weekend sucked...cant win..

I feel for you. Jay was also foggy, rainy and very uneven Saturday. Only skied about an hour. Sunday was a much better day. Even Friday at Sugarbush, although quite frozen in the morning was better than Saturday at Jay.

kingslug

Don’t know the Sultans but I’m really enjoying the Kore93s after 6 days on them. Stiff, short turn radius, and light as hell. It’s an unusual ski.

The stiffness troubles me in the bumps but I’m not a great bump skier anyway. I’ve seen conflicting opinions online as to weather you’d call the ride “damp”. IMO, it’s not damp at all but I’m ok with that. Confidence inspiring ski.

Sultans are heavy but pretty good all mountain. The Kore line is light and stiff which may be better in the trees for me. The Sultans are best on ice..you can go very fast and stop very quick. I would need to demo the Kores in that regard. The 117's I bought just from reading about them and they have worked out great.

sankaty

For context, my other main skis are original Bushwackers in 173 and Blizzard "The One" in 177. The BWs are 88mm, the Ones are 98mm. I'm lightweight at 155, don't usually ski particularly fast, and love bumps and trees, so I tend to prefer skis on the shorter side. I got the Kore 93 in 171 as they'll be my AT ski as well and I wanted something light and maneuverable. One thing I've noticed is that the 171 Kore is almost identical in length to my 173 BW, so they're a long 171 from physical perspective.

I was attracted to the Kore due to its lightness for AT and reputation for being a playful but still decently stiff ski. Though I love my BWs, they are not stiff and don't excel on harder snow. I was hoping that the Kore would be better on harder snow than the BW while still being nimble and fun, and that's exactly how I found them to be.

The Kore has a high but significantly shorter tip rocker than the BW and considerably less visible tail rocker. I was worried that this would make it harder to pivot in trees and bumps, but I did not find that to be the case, even in sticky spring snow. My sense is that the BW (a fantastic nondedicated bump ski IMO) is very slightly more forgiving in bumps and pivotable in trees, but it's really a very slight edge. The Kore excelled in both these conditions while offering better edge hold on firmer snow (though some of that advantage could be due to the fresh factory tune). At 93mm, it might float a bit better in deep snow, but haven't experienced that yet.

More context: I consider myself a decent but not super fast bump skier. I skied past a photographer at Pico who was kind enough to e-mail me the photos:

kZkNLv3.jpg

9PLW1Qp.jpg

nU5PgLI.jpg

And here's a vid from Summit Glade on my 98mm Ones:

Last edited: