Stowe - Upper Liftline - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Could this be a Vail problem? I've anecdotally heard Vail is much more strict in trail closings than most.
    Yes. I was there at this time last year and while it was "firm and fast" it definitely softened up in the PM. All 4 were closed. At Magic or Sugarbush (or MRG I would guess) they would have been open, even in the morning. I mean it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for the east coast.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Could this be a Vail problem? I've anecdotally heard Vail is much more strict in trail closings than most.
    Never thought about it that way but you might be on to something.

FWIW, upper National was open and a total sheet of ice. Much uglier than Upper Goat looked.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23

2018-19 days - 32
    Sunday River: 11/13, 12/4, 2/18; Killington: 11/20, 3/24; Loon: 11/27
    Wachusett: 11/18, 11/19, 11/25, 12/20, 12/23
    Solitude: 1/13; Snowbird 1/14, 4/1; Deer Valley: 1/15; Alta: 1/16, 3/29, 4/2; Brighton 3/28; Jackson: 3/30, 3/31
    Sugarbush: 1/21, 2/3, 3/10; MRG 1/22; Jay 2/4; Burke 2/5
    Sugarloaf: 2/24, 2/25; Stratton: 3/5, Stowe 3/11, Smuggs 3/12

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Yes. I was there at this time last year and while it was "firm and fast" it definitely softened up in the PM. All 4 were closed. At Magic or Sugarbush (or MRG I would guess) they would have been open, even in the morning. I mean it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for the east coast.
    MRG actually does close terrain when it gets a bit too firm. For example today they closed a lot of their steeper terrain when temps dropped meanwhile Sugarbush kept all their terrain open. If something is closed at Sugarbush, you know it is bad!

Was up the last two weekends of March and know it was closed then due to clearance. And was certainly necessary then. Not sure if that is still the case… beyond the blame Vail default, I think they also have a new patrol head. Maybe why it has seemed sometimes a bit more conservative with openings this season? They also always close the ungroomed steep stuff during the spring when it freezes up and open it during the day as it softens.. they may be slower at that this season, who knows.

I do think that upper part of liftline merits a double rating. There are some shark fins and tight lines that need to be navigated and it can get skied off quickly. Generally speaking, there are some steep sections to liftline, but with the width, agree it skis more like a single black.

Goat and Starr are as tough as anything inbound in the east in my opinion. Smuggs and Bush certainly have some trails that are similar. National has the drop in but then is closer to liftline. I’d say lookout offers more of a challenge. Its also one of my favorite runs after a big dump. It can be a real blast with boulders almost getting pillow like.

Did the bootpack up hayride twice after the last big storm when everything was on wind hold and hit lookout first. Was an absolute blast.

Stowe - Upper Liftline

Just keep skiers right, directly under the downside of the chair. If the coverage is deep enough that there're potential clearance issues, then you don't have to worry about hitting rocks because they're definitely covered. The only challenge is pacing yourself between down-moving chairs, but that should be viewed as part of the fun. And If the base is sooo deep that you could touch the rope then the chair won't be running at all.

Edit. And IMO upper LL and National warrant double black ratings, but the rest of those runs are single black but not blue.
    Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; Apr 9, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

Very deep..clearance issue..vail is a bit conservative with openings...upper Goat is one sporty run!
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

A good way to check out starr and lookout is from the s53 cross over from middle liftline
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    And IMO upper LL and National warrant double black ratings, but the rest of those runs are single black but not blue.
    I was clearly out-voted in my belief the top of Upper Liftline should be single black, but I cant imagine the rest of liftline being a black diamond. It's literally wide-open and not very steep. There are portions of lower Nosedive that are steeper and it's a blue.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I was clearly out-voted in my belief the top of Upper Liftline should be single black, but I cant imagine the rest of liftline being a black diamond. It's literally wide-open and not very steep. There are portions of lower Nosedive that are steeper and it's a blue.
    I had forgotten that the lower parts of LL and Nat'l are separately named and actually rated blue. I do agree with those ratings.
    I was referring to the middle parts of both runs (LL below haychute and Nat'l below its crossing with LL, and both above where they become officially blue obviously). IMO those runs are definetely not blue. There are sections of LL that could be blue-square pitch but there are 1 or 2 steeper pitches that make it black, especially when ungroomed. And when groomed both of those would present more challenge than say Lord or Standard. All IMO.

Edit. Further thoughts. Ive never seen Nat'l groomed and LL only once or twice. (I usually ski Stowe only in early-mid Dec.) But in my experience a groomed LL is peppered with water bars and scraped to ice by late morning. Not a blue square cruiser IMO.

The entrance to middle LL is usually icy as hell. My wife clearly does not like it. Once past that its easy.

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information