Tuckerman's death - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    The avalanche was not in Tuckerman Ravine!

Also, got reported at 1:30, victim had a beacon but wasn't dug out until 2:20. Still breathing when recovered but died shortly after. Bluebird weather day. Any guesses why it took 50 minutes to get there? Helicopters are really fast!

Obviously, skiing alone in an avalanche trap was a major mistake but that's not my discussion point. They need to up their helicopter game.
    The helicopter NEEDS a safe place to land. If rescue personnel took a bit to get the person from the recovery site to a safe landing area, that could factor into the time.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 2 closest locations where med flight copters are based out in in proximity to Mount Washington are the Southern Maine Hospital in Portland and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital. Both of which, even at helicopter travel speeds, do have some decent flight time from once the call is made by the rescue crew to getting the crew in the copter and airborne

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

'18 - '19 season
    November: 17.18,23,25 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,15,16,22,23,26,29,20 (Mount Snow) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 5 (Bromley) 6,12,19,20,21,26 (Mount Snow) 13 (Stratton) 27 (Wachusett)
    February: 2 (Bromley) 3 (Jiminy Peak) 9,10,16,17,23,24 (Mount Snow) 18 (Magic)
    March: 1,2 (Sugarbush) 3 (Pico) 9 (Bromley) 10 (Magic) 16,18,23,30,31 (Mount Snow) 17 (Stratton) 24 (Pats Peak)
    April: 6.7 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Scary good fun ,but there are a lot of ways to die up there. Undermined snow (Stream bed bowl ski out ) Ice falls, Lots of places you cannot see over the edge till you're there .
    Yeah, this. My one and only trip up was quick one with a few buddies about 4 years ago, about halfway through May. So it was mild, getting kinda slushy, past its prime, so there was no one up there, relatively speaking. We hiked two runs up Left Gully, since the ranger told us most of the rest of the bowl was no-go, crevasses and what-not.

I remember chilling out about halfway up the bowl, tired from all the hiking and wanting to just enjoy the view for a bit, when the little slough-creeks flowing down here and there got me thinking that I had no idea if the snow I was on couldn't/wouldn't just release, so I'd better not eff around and get on down.

We also had to hike out since the Sherburne was closed, and that suuuuuuuccccckkkked.

Somehow 6 hrs drive (each way) plus 6 hours of hiking for 2 relatively short runs = a fun time, to say you did it if nothing else. I'm playing with the idea of doing it again in a few weeks, but as I see it you've really got to keep your wits about you and use discretion. Especially if you're a flatlander non-local, like yours truly.

Also, got reported at 1:30, victim had a beacon but wasn't dug out until 2:20. Still breathing when recovered but died shortly after. Bluebird weather day. Any guesses why it took 50 minutes to get there? Helicopters are really fast!
    The avalanche was in an area that is not often skied and the guy was alone. Very likely that no one saw it happen and when someone noticed the debris field (with potentially some equipment mixed in) they knew they had to start searching.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

The avalanche was not in Tuckerman Ravine!

Obviously, skiing alone in an avalanche trap was a major mistake but that's not my discussion point. They need to up their helicopter game.
    Actually, I believe Mount Washington helicopter rescues/evacs are normally performed by the NH Army Guard out of Concord with Blackhawks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Actually, I believe Mount Washington helicopter rescues/evacs are normally performed by the NH Army Guard out of Concord with Blackhawks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    A different report I read said that the rescue copter was out of Dartmouth- Hitchcock yesterday.

I know that the ANG has used their Blackhawks for search and rescue in the past on Mount Washington

'07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

'18 - '19 season
    November: 17.18,23,25 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,15,16,22,23,26,29,20 (Mount Snow) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 5 (Bromley) 6,12,19,20,21,26 (Mount Snow) 13 (Stratton) 27 (Wachusett)
    February: 2 (Bromley) 3 (Jiminy Peak) 9,10,16,17,23,24 (Mount Snow) 18 (Magic)
    March: 1,2 (Sugarbush) 3 (Pico) 9 (Bromley) 10 (Magic) 16,18,23,30,31 (Mount Snow) 17 (Stratton) 24 (Pats Peak)
    April: 6.7 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    A different report I read said that the rescue copter was out of Dartmouth- Hitchcock yesterday.

I know that the ANG has used their Blackhawks for search and rescue in the past on Mount Washington

They use DART out of Dartmouth Hitchcock, and also LifeFlight out of Cent. Maine Med. Cntr. inLewiston.
    Once up both are about 30-35 mins away. Still need people on the ground to reach them first though, and depending on location and conditions that is usually the controlling factor for time in a Mt. Wash rescue.

Was riding up the lift at wildcat yesterday afternoon when some dude mentioned the copter. It was a smaller red helicopter, looked like the ones they use for tours out of pease. Wasn't paying terribly close attention but it seemed to circle for a while. Was a perfect bluebird day up there, no wind.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

DART heli's are Red up top, w/ White & Dark Blue mainly. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7O7udR_yk

LifeFlight is a bigger Green & White Agusta
    Last edited by 2Planker; Apr 12, 2019 at 3:45 PM.

They need to up their helicopter game.
    Terribly unfair comment. Helicopters go roughly 120mph and they were roughly 60'ish miles away. Just in cruise time that's over 30 minutes factoring in takeoff & landing.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The helicopter NEEDS a safe place to land. If rescue personnel took a bit to get the person from the recovery site to a safe landing area, that could factor into the time.
    ''I recall a good bit of very dense spruce--so dense that you had to walk on branches and could not reach the ground. If that area fills in with snow it would likely become one big spruce-trap field. (A bit like a minefield, except you get swallowed down instead of blown up...)''
    https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?32652-Skiing-Raymond-s-Cataract

If Raymonds Catarct is this tough to hike in the summer I can't imagine trying to put a chopper down in wintry conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    The avalanche was in an area that is not often skied and the guy was alone. Very likely that no one saw it happen and when someone noticed the debris field (with potentially some equipment mixed in) they knew they had to start searching.
    ''I talked with a few folks at Pinkkham last year about the possiblity of ski descent here and was told those cascades often become a 30' near vertical icefall. If so, there is little immediate avi danger at the fall itself as it won't hold much snow. The danger is being swept over from sliding snow above. On that note, several posters are referring to 'avi danger' in the cascade as if it was a static feature wihch it is not. Clearly the place has potential to slide but the avi danger may vary greatly year to year depending on snowpack characteristics.''

https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?17592-Ravine-of-Raymond-Cataract/page2

Raymonds Cataract sounds extremely forbidding.
    Last edited by legalskier; Apr 12, 2019 at 9:34 PM.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Thread Information