Tuckerman's death - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Terribly unfair comment. Helicopters go roughly 120mph and they were roughly 60'ish miles away. Just in cruise time that's over 30 minutes factoring in takeoff & landing.
    Air Speed is more like 165mph+

Quote Originally Posted by 2Planker View Post
    Air Speed is more like 165mph+
    In still air anyway. If they are coming in from the East with prevailing westerly winds, groundspeed will be lower.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Landing a Helicopter in the Lee side of Mount Washington is a risky task . The winds up there can be unpredictable and if there is a mountain wave condition would make it very dangerous. From the looks of the Instagram video there's not much of a clearing so did they lift him with a hoist without landing ?
    It takes a long time to move around in steep terrain so I imagine just getting to him is one thing them dig him out 5' down ?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

For those really interested in the helicopter ... was a civilian model, definitely not red, lots of dark-ish green IIRC.
    Landed in the septic field (often used for initial avalanche beacon practice in courses) at the trailhead complex.
    Rotors were totally still. Crew was just calmly standing around, waiting for the rescuers to get off the mountain.
    (Multiple emergency vehicles were booking it though from Gorham or thereabouts.)
    Trying to extricate the victim from the dense woods at the incident site probably would have resulted in more victims. A rescue helicopter has previously landed at treeline at Hermit Lake, but that would have required having the snowcat go back up to there from the junction of the Huntington Fire Road and the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, which wouldn't save much if any time.
    Plus the victim died during the ground transportation anyway (cardiac arrest), so the helicopter ended up flying back without any patient.
    R.I.P. Nick -- I'll always remember those few snippets of conversation we had together that morning.
    For those of you in the Northeast, check out the NE Rando Race Series and my avalanche course. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    For those really interested in the helicopter ... was a civilian model, definitely not red, lots of dark-ish green IIRC.
    Landed in the septic field (often used for initial avalanche beacon practice in courses) at the trailhead complex.
    Rotors were totally still. Crew was just calmly standing around, waiting for the rescuers to get off the mountain.
    (Multiple emergency vehicles were booking it though from Gorham or thereabouts.)
    Trying to extricate the victim from the dense woods at the incident site probably would have resulted in more victims. A rescue helicopter has previously landed at treeline at Hermit Lake, but that would have required having the snowcat go back up to there from the junction of the Huntington Fire Road and the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, which wouldn't save much if any time.
    Plus the victim died during the ground transportation anyway (cardiac arrest), so the helicopter ended up flying back without any patient.
    R.I.P. Nick -- I'll always remember those few snippets of conversation we had together that morning.
    You saw him that morning? Jesus that is creepy.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

You guys seriously deleted my comment? That guy deserved to be called out in the fashion he did. He knows nothing. You are all soft and weak here.

Find another forum then.

You can disagree with someone without acting like a dbag about it. Try it sometime

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    You saw him that morning? Jesus that is creepy.
    Tried (although not very hard) to persuade him to ski another line.
    Joked (sort of) that I consider a ski outing a success when nobody dies or is seriously injured, and no significant gear is broken or lost, with bonus points for all partners still being on speaking terms.
    We were probably the last people to speak with him.
    Picture I took of my partner skiing in Huntington happens also to show him in the background (transitioning from skinning to booting), at the same location as the final resting spot of the February victim, whose memorial service I attended in my hometown, a short walk from my childhood home, just barely off my walking route to elementary school.
    For those of you in the Northeast, check out the NE Rando Race Series and my avalanche course. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Tried (although not very hard) to persuade him to ski another line.
    Joked (sort of) that I consider a ski outing a success when nobody dies or is seriously injured, and no significant gear is broken or lost, with bonus points for all partners still being on speaking terms.
    We were probably the last people to speak with him.
    Picture I took of my partner skiing in Huntington happens also to show him in the background (transitioning from skinning to booting), at the same location as the final resting spot of the February victim, whose memorial service I attended in my hometown, a short walk from my childhood home, just barely off my walking route to elementary school.
    OK, that is getting even more eerie....
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    You can disagree with someone without acting like a dbag about it. Try it sometime
    This is rich. Perhaps you can take your own advice on K-zone?

Thread Information