Tuckerman's death

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tuckerman's death

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ptN/story.html

Sad. I hope the person who died wasn't the victim of a slide started by someone else at least...

It has been a few years since someone died up there which I guess encouraging given how popular a spot it is and greater risks that can be taken up there.

And I was just thinking about the place.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

video from the ranger who dug the victim out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIxTQuh...9DeG879v4WKkWk

Sounds like it was all on the skier himself, not in Tuckerman's.
    He had a beacon, but no partner. A beacon won't save you if no one is there to dig you out.

I saw that. Serious shit.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

If you haven't been there..its a must do..at least to see it. Climbing and skiing is another matter. I had a tiny snow slide almost send me flying.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Tuckerman's death

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    If you haven't been there..its a must do..at least to see it. Climbing and skiing is another matter. I had a tiny snow slide almost send me flying.
    8 or 9 years ago (I was 40) I was planning to do it. I tried skinning up easy trails a few times and decided that I’d try it in spring. In January, I blew my knee on a Sunday River groomer.

That accident took wind out of my sails and I slowly decided its best for me not to try stuff like Tucks. Although, I’d love to go watch people try. Never even visited, and I’m a Wildcat skier.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Scary good fun ,but there are a lot of ways to die up there. Undermined snow (Stream bed bowl ski out ) Ice falls, Lots of places you cannot see over the edge till you're there . My first run down the lip I looked down and literally could not see my skis from the slough . I thought I was in good shape till I woke up the next morning ....I felt like I was hit by a truck LOL , never felt like that ever.

Do it before you get old !!!!

It's a really good snow year https://www.outdoors.org/outdoor-act...ckerman-Ravine
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

The radio (96.3) reported that he was in an avalanche caused by another skier. I can't confirm that, but they may need to retract that statement.

I'm still gonna try to get up there early May, not sure what the conditions will be like.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post

I'm still gonna try to get up there early May, not sure what the conditions will be like.
    Wait a day ........always a crapshoot to plan . I would stay in the area for a couple days and pick your best day but if your retired and close should be easy to get a good day . T4T website is good for planning what equipment to bring . The sun plays a big part in what you can and can't ski . I got a late start in 2013 and my friend and I were some of the last skiers out of the bowl . There was a group of boarders 20 min behind and things iced up , one was injured and had to be evaced . To me riding up there is crazy but people do it and I respect their ballsyness !!!

Walking out sucks . Check The Pinkham stake and it should give you an idea of the likelihood of having to walk out .
    https://www.outdoors.org/outdoor-act...#Pinkham-Notch
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

The avalanche was not in Tuckerman Ravine!

Also, got reported at 1:30, victim had a beacon but wasn't dug out until 2:20. Still breathing when recovered but died shortly after. Bluebird weather day. Any guesses why it took 50 minutes to get there? Helicopters are really fast!

Obviously, skiing alone in an avalanche trap was a major mistake but that's not my discussion point. They need to up their helicopter game.
    2017/2018

Thread Information