• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lodges

Scruffy

Overlook at Bell.
Platty lodge.
MRG Box.
Mansfield at Stowe.
K1 ( Do not see a reason why they need to sink 27 million into a new lodge there ? But I would have kept the old Yankee Stadium too )
Pico

I like my ski lodges old and full of history. Why do you need glitz to boot up and eat lunch? If it's a crowd issue, build on to the old one.

machski

Overlook at Bell.
Platty lodge.
MRG Box.
Mansfield at Stowe.
K1 ( Do not see a reason why they need to sink 27 million into a new lodge there ? But I would have kept the old Yankee Stadium too )
Pico

I like my ski lodges old and full of history. Why do you need glitz to boot up and eat lunch? If it's a crowd issue, build on to the old one.
As to K1, probably because FIS demanded it to keep the race.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Not all FIS. Oldest and busiest lodge on mountain and part of it already was lost to Irene.

All the other base lodges with exception of Skyeship on roadmap to be addressed as part of other projects, K1 was not.

machski

Not all FIS. Oldest and busiest lodge on mountain and part of it already was lost to Irene.

All the other base lodges with exception of Skyeship on roadmap to be addressed as part of other projects, K1 was not.
I know, K1 was in need of an overhaul and moving it back from the Trailside will greatly improved skier flow. Still, at this point dropping $27mil on that, have to think some of the decision (timing in the least) may have been influenced by FIS to some extent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Killingtime

A new and larger K1 lodge will hopefully take some of the pressure off of the peak lodge, which by 12:00 is standing room only. The food options at Killington kind of suck and I know they are trying to make improvements. The best lunch at Killington is at the Sunrise Cafe at the bottom of the Sunrise lift and that's run by a condo association and not even Killington Resort. Plus the skate around the K1 base lodge to get to the gondola from Superstar was a bad design from the beginning. Pressure from the FIS? Who knows but I think its a good improvement. $27 millions dollars worth? Glad to see all those high priced walk-up ticket purchases are going for something.

drjeff

The reality is, that many resorts are starting to rethink about the utilization of their lodges from what for many used to be ski season only usage into more of a 4 season use model.

As such, what a modern lodge can be, may not 100% focus on ski season only use. The wedding and convention business can add nicely to the revenue side of resort operations, especially if it's in the non ski season, and with a lifespan of a lodge likely in the 30+ year range in a lot of revenue can potentially be generated in the ever change world of ski resort operations

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

A new and larger K1 lodge will hopefully take some of the pressure off of the peak lodge, which by 12:00 is standing room only. The food options at Killington kind of suck and I know they are trying to make improvements. The best lunch at Killington is at the Sunrise Cafe at the bottom of the Sunrise lift and that's run by a condo association and not even Killington Resort. Plus the skate around the K1 base lodge to get to the gondola from Superstar was a bad design from the beginning. Pressure from the FIS? Who knows but I think its a good improvement. $27 millions dollars worth? Glad to see all those high priced walk-up ticket purchases are going for something.

Sunrise Cafe is my go-to Thur to Sun for lunch if I'm there! Great folks, good food and prices.

Scruffy

The reality is, that many resorts are starting to rethink about the utilization of their lodges from what for many used to be ski season only usage into more of a 4 season use model.

As such, what a modern lodge can be, may not 100% focus on ski season only use. The wedding and convention business can add nicely to the revenue side of resort operations, especially if it's in the non ski season, and with a lifespan of a lodge likely in the 30+ year range in a lot of revenue can potentially be generated in the ever change world of ski resort operations

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

True. And Killington is definitely focusing on getting more into summer activities. Personally, I'd build lodges that had more than a 30 year lifespan. That way, the old charming lodge is part of the draw, and if they need to add on to expand due to increased crowds, or getting into other business, then so be it--expand with an addition. Think about the draw the Banff Springs Hotel is, for example. The throw away society we live in is rampant everywhere, even in ski lodges, pitty.

abc

Got to agree with those. Snowbasin's lodges are identical to those at Sun Valley (same owner).

Sunapee's newer lodge is pretty nice.

And, as odd as it sounds, I recall Pats Peak having decent lodges as well. Very clean at least.
Agree on Snow Basin and Stowe.

But I must be missing something with Deer Valley. I didn’t find it particularly nice to begin with. Further, it was super crowded the 2 days I went. And it wasn’t even weekends. I can only guess how much worse it could be!

For 2nd place instead, I think Sun Valley is far above Deer Valley.