Lodges

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lodges

Lodges

It is always amusing to me about people complaining about the state of their mountain's ski lodge. I'm primarily a Killington skier, so I hear a lot of comments about ski lodge inadequacies. But not too many mountains that I can name have great lodge setups with adequate capacity for weekends, even new ones like Lincoln Peak base lodges at Sugarbush, or the Roundhouse at Stowe's Spruce side.

The truth is most lodges were built in the 60s to handle 1,000 skiers a day and gradually pieced together through the following decades as skier visits increased. Prime examples being Mount Snow's main base, South Ridge at Sunday River, Okemo's base lodge, Stratton's base lodge, and Killington's Snowshed and K1 lodges.

So I guess my question is...who LIKES their lodge???

2018-2019 63 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/1, 12/15, 12/23, 12/24, 12/26, 12/27, 12/29, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/5, 1/12, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1/25, 1/26, 1/27, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/15, 2/16, 2/17, 2/18, 2/20, 2/22, 2/23, 2/24
    Killington: 11/16, 12/7, 12/9, 12/13, 12/20, 1/8, 1/9, 1/14, 1/23, 2/13
    Mount Snow: 10/27, 11/21, 12/12
    Sugarbush: 12/8, 1/3, 1/17, 1/18
    Magic: 11/30, 1/11 Jay Peak: 12/18, 1/15 Smuggler's Notch: 12/17 Sunapee: 12/19 Mad River Glen: 1/2 Mohawk: 1/4 Okemo: 1/7 Pico: 1/10 Burke: 1/16 Belleayre: 2/1 Catamount: 2/6 Jiminy Peak: 2/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

The only lodge I know that meets your standard of ''great lodge setups with adequate capacity for weekends'' would be Gore's base lodge which has large rooms in the back & the basement that absorb crowds really well, not to mention the huge patio in front with scores of picnic tables. But I don't go by that standard as I don't use the lodges during peak times, and on the worst weekends I'll look for a subsidiary lodge, like Gore's mid-mountain Saddle Lodge (which was just expanded with a full second floor) or Hunter's Summit Lodge or Belle's Sunset Lodge.
    My favorite of all is Belle's Overlook Lodge which isn't very big but has an Adirondack ambience with the huge locally-sourced wooden beams, roaring fireplaces with leather cushion chairs and nice deck outside. The additions/changes they've made over the decades work well. I've been going there since I was little. The only other lodge I've been to that comes close to that ambiance is Sunspot at Winter Park. Blue Mountain in Pa. has 2 roomy lodges that can absorb a lot of visitors though I can't really judge as I rarely ski there on weekends.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

I was just gonna second Overlook, I don’t really use the lodge outside of the bar and patio most places, Smuggs Black Bear Tavern at the Maddonna lodge is great too.

In terms of niceness?

I've skied about 35 different places in my life, and my rankings from those would be:

1) Snowbasin
    2) Deer Valley
    3) Stowe (Spruce only, Mansfield is an aged relic)
    4) Everyone else
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    It is always amusing to me about people complaining about the state of their mountain's ski lodge. I'm primarily a Killington skier, so I hear a lot of comments about ski lodge inadequacies. But not too many mountains that I can name have great lodge setups with adequate capacity for weekends, even new ones like Lincoln Peak base lodges at Sugarbush, or the Roundhouse at Stowe's Spruce side.

The truth is most lodges were built in the 60s to handle 1,000 skiers a day and gradually pieced together through the following decades as skier visits increased. Prime examples being Mount Snow's main base, South Ridge at Sunday River, Okemo's base lodge, Stratton's base lodge, and Killington's Snowshed and K1 lodges.

So I guess my question is...who LIKES their lodge???
    Very true. KBL is coming down soon. I never thought it was "that" bad.

Mid Burke is pretty retro. The Bear Den is awesome.

I always thought that the Sugarbush North Lodge was fine. A lot of stairs, but oh well.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Killington is my home mountain but I have skied at every mountain in VT, every area in NJ, the Catskills, and most areas out west. I personally don’t care about the lodges as long as they have food, a place to sit, and clean restrooms. I start my day at 8am, eat lunch at 11am and finish by 3pm, this way I avoid the crowds. I have no issues with the base lodges at Killington and do like the Peak lodge. I would rather they invest money on the mountain experience and not the lodges. Give me good snow and good lifts, I don’t spend much time in the lodges.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    In terms of niceness?

I've skied about 35 different places in my life, and my rankings from those would be:

1) Snowbasin
    2) Deer Valley
    3) Stowe (Spruce only, Mansfield is an aged relic)
    4) Everyone else
    Got to agree with those. Snowbasin's lodges are identical to those at Sun Valley (same owner).

Sunapee's newer lodge is pretty nice.

And, as odd as it sounds, I recall Pats Peak having decent lodges as well. Very clean at least.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

All of the K lodges excluding Peak and Skyeship are long in the tooth, but there are so many (and other on-hill eateries) that when it is busy and you know how to move around, no big deal.

Ragged's lodge is rather nice and well sized as is the Skiway's.

Whaleback's lodge while rustic is undersized. Oftentimes the size of the events are limited due to inadequate space.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    All of the K lodges excluding Peak and Skyeship are long in the tooth, but there are so many (and other on-hill eateries) that when it is busy and you know how to move around, no big deal.

Ragged's lodge is rather nice and well sized as is the Skiway's.

Whaleback's lodge while rustic is undersized. Oftentimes the size of the events are limited due to inadequate space.
    Raggeds is WAY undersized and understaffed to handle the crowds they now get on weekends since they introduced cheap passes. It's the number one complaint about the place now.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Aesthetically it's one of the absolute worst, but in terms of functionality, Crotched is about as good as it gets in terms of handling crowds. Even on the busiest days, I can find a table in the lodge, a cubby for my gear, reasonable wait at the bar etc.

In terms of lodges that both look very nice and function well, I'd put Bretton Woods base lodge near the top of the list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information