• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lodges

JimG.

Staff member
Granted, I don't ski at that many areas but unlike Waterville, Magic and Bretton Woods, Cannon has the bathrooms on the main floor so I don't have to walk up and down stairs in ski boots so it's the winner.

The one advantage of the Ramshead lodge at K.

ceo

The boot-up and storage room at Sugarbush Gate House Lodge is just brilliant. I now don't understand why that hasn't been a standard feature of base lodges since the beginning. Valley House is charmingly old-fashioned and Mt Ellen lodge even more so; place clearly hasn't changed since the 60s (and neither has the food).

Peabody Lodge at Cannon is still too small, but vastly improved since they built the additions for the pub and rental shop and put in the brown-bag room downstairs.

Zand

Wachusett has everything on one level. End of thread. (Just pretend the thousands of screaming 12 year olds aren't there if you go on a weeknight and you'll agree!)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Coming in from the west I never seem to park over there.

It's still quicker than going up the access road to get to K proper.

Skyeship is great but I've learned not to park down there if temps are supposed to get more than a few degrees above freezing. Lower GN is a pretty good run with adequate enough pitch to do mostly "skiing" on the way down rather than just straightlining unless the snow is slow. Then it becomes a pretty brutal slog.

gregnye

I wish Skyeship would open to the public like 10 minutes earlier than the rest of the lifts. It always seems like even though I am the first gondola up at opening, by the time I reach the mid-station there are already people who have skied down.

This is only a problem on powder days of course.

GregoryIsaacs

Aesthetically it's one of the absolute worst, but in terms of functionality, Crotched is about as good as it gets in terms of handling crowds. Even on the busiest days, I can find a table in the lodge, a cubby for my gear, reasonable wait at the bar etc.

In terms of lodges that both look very nice and function well, I'd put Bretton Woods base lodge near the top of the list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I have to 2nd this... They were actually on to something when they decided with what I assume was the biggest and cheapest lodge option when they reopened. I have NEVER had an issue finding a table, getting a quick bite to eat, using the restroom etc..

If only more mountains could get away with what is pretty much a commercial warehouse for a base lodge.

cdskier

If only more mountains could get away with what is pretty much a commercial warehouse for a base lodge.

While I've never seen the Crotched lodge, this description triggered memories of the "lodge" Mountain Creek had for a while years ago. I'm assuming they no longer have it, but about 20 years ago their lodge burned down and they replaced it with essentially a giant bubble tent for at least a few years. Ugly doesn't begin to describe it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
While I've never seen the Crotched lodge, this description triggered memories of the "lodge" Mountain Creek had for a while years ago. I'm assuming they no longer have it, but about 20 years ago their lodge burned down and they replaced it with essentially a giant bubble tent for at least a few years. Ugly doesn't begin to describe it.
That's what MT Abram did and I believe still has after their lodge fire. It's a real shame as the original was a classic old school lodge.

Loon also has a bubble for their south peak lodge. They didn't want to build something nice because it was supposed to be temporary until they added the additional lift and proper second base area. Been about ten years and that project is still on hold

JimG.

Staff member

Skyeship is great but I've learned not to park down there if temps are supposed to get more than a few degrees above freezing. Lower GN is a pretty good run with adequate enough pitch to do mostly "skiing" on the way down rather than just straightlining unless the snow is slow. Then it becomes a pretty brutal slog.

As a mostly weekday skier I'm not worried about saving 5-10 minutes at the start of the day so the tradeoff for being parked down there makes no sense for me. Just out of my way for the trip home.

Newpylong

Skyeship coming from the East is the way to go, second being Bear. Coming from the West I would not bother. 3 base lodges and associated parking to choose from on the access road.

Zand

Skyeship coming from the East is the way to go, second being Bear. Coming from the West I would not bother. 3 base lodges and associated parking to choose from on the access road.

Skyeship is great for day trips coming from the southeast. But for when you're already up on the access road (or coming from NY), if you already have a pass and there's spaces available you can't beat parking steps from the Snowdon Six.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I haven't skied K when the skyeship or Bear have been open in 20-30 years.
This has been mostly the case for me. Probably 90% of my skiing at K has been early or late season when other options aren't available. Mid season, there's at least a dozen N.E. mountains I'd rather be at. But when it's open, Bear is where I park.

puckoach

Granted, I don't ski at that many areas but unlike Waterville, Magic and Bretton Woods, Cannon has the bathrooms on the main floor so I don't have to walk up and down stairs in ski boots so it's the winner.p

The number one thing Every skier will do at a mountain, is use the rest rooms. Older skiers more often. Making all customers go up and down stairs, is a design Fail, in my opinion. Not including a changing room of some type, is a fail as well.

jimk

Was Basebox mentioned at MRG? That place is a classic even if restrooms are downstairs:)

granite

Cannon Mountain Tram Station is a classic, old school lodge built by the CCC in the 1930's. It's hardly ever crowded and is open almost all year long for the summer/fall tram rides to the summit. It's always a very easy walk from the parking lot to boot up. The food is limited in the cafeteria/gift shop, but many locals like the hot dog with chili. Up the stairs next to the cafeteria is a small room with four tables, original pine paneling, a vaulted ceiling and floor to ceiling windows with a nice view up the tram line. Many locals, especially on weekends, pack our lunches and take breaks there. On weekends, usually it's the same 30 skiers there for 8:15 first tracks tram to the summit. There's no bar there, but some people bring their own cooler with beers. There's a little museum for the Old Man of the Mountain (summer only) and on the walls a lot of old photographs of the mountain, skiers, Old Man of the Mountain and others taken over the long history of the area. One complaint I do have, they blocked up the old fieldstone fire place and inserted a wood burning stove that they never use. They should take out the stove and renovate that beautiful old fireplace and start building fires in it, just like the old days!