• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top of Jay Peak

urungus

Might be too late for this season, but I am looking to try some of the terrain off the tram. Looks pretty treacherous so I like to plan my route in advance. But the official trail map is not very helpful and google maps is full of errors

FAAA039D-0FCD-4245-ADBA-D49DCB175C55.jpg

380274E1-8DE9-4688-AF53-D978C78E8D47.jpg

Any issues with the corrections I drew in? Not sure what A, B, and C are called. And note how Sis Boom Bah has returned to the official trail map, even though it is not listed on the official trail report.

I have watched a couple videos where the access to the Face Chutes is via a very narrow traverse, before it opens up, but I’m not sure exactly where that is on the map. And going down the wrong chute looks a little scary, as evidenced by this video by a guy who usually is very smooth going down some of the most difficult terrain in the east. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Angy1lF71s Is hiring a guide recommended?

I see St George’s Prayer is rated a blue square, is there any access to this trail other than via the Face Chutes? Maybe by cutting over from Northway?

First time at Jay Peak I skied all the blacks off the Jet triple, plus CanAm, Liftline, Milk Run, JFK and Northwest Passage.
How would you rank the remaining blacks in terms of difficulty?

Face Chutes
Tuckermans Chute
Green Beret
Valhalla
Upper River Kwai
Green Mountain Boys
601 (formerly known as Upper Power Line)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I skied that terrain for the first time this year. Did Tucks three times and Face Chutes once...so I'm no expert...however...my reaction was "that's it?". Challenging narrow chutes for 150-250ft followed by wide runouts. They are challenging, but so short I was pretty disappointed given the hype.

BenedictGomez

The chutes are clearly substantially harder than the other black diamonds. I dont think any of the black diamonds are particularly difficult other than the 2 chutes.

skiur

People ski the trails at Jay? I thought they were only there to get you to the tree's.

machski

Boring, climb the stairs, ski along the ridge and find a good place to drop in between the chutes and green beret. Much better and more challenging, plenty of lines through the trees once you hit tree line. People actually go to Jay to ski regular trails or open/obvious lines?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

MG Skier

Urungus,

I think "B" is Wedeimaster (or however it is spelled)
"C" would be top of Ullrs via the Flyer.
"A" not sure if it has a name....

I just got back from Jay. Skied Sunday and Monday.
Still a TON of snow but the melting is happening as the angle of the sun changes and mother nature does her thing. Plenty of snow in the trees, some of the bump runs are showing rocks, dirt grass etc. By judging from the top of the Jet triple, there isn't too much of the horizontal snow pipe showing meaning there is still a bunch of snow! (Past seasons at this time you could see all of that pipe.)

I seldom take the tram and the flyer for that matter. So, I didn't ski off elevation 4k but everything off the Jet, Bonnie, and Flyer were great on Sunday, with the rain, Monday was a bit slushy and some trails like Goat were an experience in ice dancing!

I am itching to go back up this week.....need to let my legs recover! I skied open to close with a break to watch Tiger win the Masters!

fbrissette

Boring, climb the stairs, ski along the ridge and find a good place to drop in between the chutes and green beret. Much better and more challenging, plenty of lines through the trees once you hit tree line. People actually go to Jay to ski regular trails or open/obvious lines?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

The very top of the saddle is pretty much unskiable now. However, pumphouse chute is still completely filled with the exception of the very top. You could still ski to it from the Saddle, but barely.

Agreed with others that Tuckerman chutes and the face are nothing special most of the time. In great snow conditions however, uppe FAce chutes offers fun challenging option. Most of the time, it's just a traverse, side-stepping rocks to the open face. Currently, Face chute can only be accessed from Tuck's skier right traverse.

FBGM

Is it worse than Dechutes at Park City? If not...nbd.

I’m pretty sure there is no such trail/chute name at PC called that. There are also maybe a handful of “chutes” at PC. The terrain is pretty mellow across the board at that place. Flat, no non stop very, big groomers, handful of challenging stuff. If those tram face runs at Jay we’re longer they would probably be harder then anything at PC

FBGM

I have a pic of the entrance. So FBGM can suck it...

That’s CanHole side. Fake Park City. Worst lift and trail system ever made over at that garbage dump.

I’m sure Jay stuff skied better and has more snow.

Vail ruined Park City. And Vail ruined skiing. Remember that

urungus

Thanks for the advice everyone, on Friday the forecast 50mph winds held off, Jay Peak was 100% open, and I did it!! Dropped down just a couple feet, directly behind the “Face Chutes” sign, and then made the narrow traverse over to the open face. The very last part of the traverse got a little steep, had to sideslip it, but after that you are rewarded with a wonderful open field with soft bumps. Especially compared to Upper Goat Run, which was a sheet of blue ice. Also skiied Valhalla for the first time, still solidly covered with snow and a great run with “tree islands” up at the top before tightening up a bit at the end, might be my favorite so far at Jay.

75AC7C83-FFD8-401B-94E6-8E2B1FF39EC8.jpg

Last edited:

MG Skier

Congrats!!! :daffy:I need to do it before my body says NO! I'd love to head back up this weekend but not sure it is worth the ride up.
Funny you mention Goat, on Patriots day 4/15 it was really sketchy! It was only kind of better on Sunday. I saw it was closed this weekend, it must resemble a frozen pond on a ski trail about now. Once you crossed under the Flyer it was cream cheese!

Tonyr

Thanks for the advice everyone, on Friday the forecast 50mph winds held off, Jay Peak was 100% open, and I did it!! Dropped down just a couple feet, directly behind the “Face Chutes” sign, and then made the narrow traverse over to the open face. The very last part of the traverse got a little steep, had to sideslip it, but after that you are rewarded with a wonderful open field with soft bumps. Especially compared to Upper Goat Run, which was a sheet of blue ice. Also skiied Valhalla for the first time, still solidly covered with snow and a great run with “tree islands” up at the top before tightening up a bit at the end, might be my favorite so far at Jay.

View attachment 25162
Nice! The face chutes were closed today but I was able to ski Tuckerman's chute on April 23rd which is pretty crazy that it's still open this late. Tucks is somewhat of a short run but it is no joke. It had the steepness of the upper Starr at Stowe the whole way down the run but much more narrow than Starr, Goat or Rumble at Sugarbush. There were some area's of the trail that you barely had enough room to even make a turn. I've skied everything inbounds at Killington, Stowe, and Sugarbush and I'd have to say that Tuckerman's Chute is as challenging as the best any of those three resorts have to offer. On Sunday at Stowe I took multiple runs down Goat, Bypass, and National. I got down Tuckermans today and had no thoughts of trying it again! Here are a few pictures while I was skiing it although they don't do the steepness of the run justice.....20190423_102725.jpg20190423_102808.jpg20190423_103113.jpg20190423_102938.jpg20190423_103404.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

Nice pics Tonyr! Coverage looks pretty good for April 23. Hope to try Tuckerman’s Chute next season...

Ol Dirty Noodle

Looks like my kinda run, doing TAP NY at huntah this weekend but maybe me and the new lady friend can hit Jay cinco de Mayo though

Tonyr

Looks like my kinda run, doing TAP NY at huntah this weekend but maybe me and the new lady friend can hit Jay cinco de Mayo though
The snow was very wet and heavy so I was real careful not to clip my skis on the turns especially at the top. The normal drop in was un skiable so I had to edge my way in from another less favorable line at the top part. It looked like some did the same line before me so I just followed their tracks.

On another note were told that Jay is moving their big year end party to this weekend. The sun and warm weather is melting the mountain fast, if your going ski Jay this year I'd do it sooner rather than later.

Tony20190423_102815.jpg20190423_102935.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using AlpineZone mobile app