• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Free" Tax Filing Scam

Cornhead

The procrastinator that I am, I waited til the last minute to file my tax returns. I used Intuit Turbo Tax, and checked the "free" option. After several minutes of entering, and re-entering information, I arrived at a page that informed me that I couldn't continue with the "free" edition, and in order to continue, I'd have to upgrade to Turbo Tax Deluxe for $49.95, which can be conveniently deducted from my refund. WTF, I have the most basic tax form, 1040EZ, standard deduction. Now what? Try some other "free" filer, Tax Slayer, H&R Block? Enter, and re-enter my info, for what? To be baited and switched into paying for their "free" filing. I swallowed hard, and upgraded. Other than having to put my shoes back on to retrieve my wallet and driver's license from my car, everything else went smoothly. At the end I noticed not only was $49.95 deducted from my refund, there was also a fee to receive my refund on a debit card, and something else I can't remember, and can't access now. The total deduction from my refund from my "free" filing amounts to $142!

In the past few years my federal refund was filed free, and there was a charge to file state. It was $30 or so. Fair enough, I guess. My question is. Why do I need to go through a third party to file my tax returns? I can get the necessary forms from the post office, or online, fill them out, and file them for the price of a stamp. Why can't I do this electronically through an IRS website? This is bullshit. To get baited and switched into paying these assholes makes it even worse. I blame the government, what a scam. I will be filing paper returns next year. Progress?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

I got screwed by that once. Just use OLT.com. It's really free if you make less than 66k, or something like that?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Ol Dirty Noodle

I mean what are you gonna pay your CPA??? I use turbo tax, I have W2s, 1099s etc. every year always the $150 which is cheaper than any local cpa, and comes with full audit protection etc. It’s really nothing by today’s standards.

Cornhead

I mean what are you gonna pay your CPA??? I use turbo tax, I have W2s, 1099s etc. every year always the $150 which is cheaper than any local cpa, and comes with full audit protection etc. It’s really nothing by today’s standards.
It's bait and switch, it's unethical, and requiring you to use a for profit third party to file reeks of collusion. You should be able to file directly with the IRS electronically. You don't send a paper file to someone to send to the IRS. Am I missing something? I'm not looking for someone to do my taxes, I just want to file the f'n thing. My taxes couldn't be more basic. When I was told I couldn't continue with the free version, I have to assume no one can.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Ol Dirty Noodle

There is only one way to e-file for free the way you’re talking, I forget exactly how you go about it, maybe through irs.gov?

Smellytele

My sons were able to use the free turbo tax file. Mine is a little more complicated so I did the next one up

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Man, sorry to hear that. What a pain. Also just heard on NPR that Congress, in its infinite wisdom, is considering stopping the IRS from providing free software for tax filing. :roll:

benski

Man, sorry to hear that. What a pain. Also just heard on NPR that Congress, in its infinite wisdom, is considering stopping the IRS from providing free software for tax filing. :roll:

Most governments have a computer send out tax bills to everyone, which a hand full of people challenge. But we get the new postcard thing