• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lake Louise

dlague

I have skied Lake Louise and the front side feels like New England. The back side is where the fun is. Lots of bumps, wide open spaces and great views. There is not much around there but 45 minutes away is Banff which has lots of places to eat and some entertainment. Sunshine Village is much better IMO and is about 20-25 minutes away. Someone mentioned Kicking Horse and that is about 1.5 hours away. Views in that area are really cool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

I have been trying to temper my attitude toward others lately. Its hard when you have real passion for the sport.
There’s a clear distinction between expressing one’s own passion vs disrespect of others!

By declaring other’s choice as worthless, it showcases a narrow and rigid mind.

Last edited:

ThinkSnow

To refocus, my window of opportunity to be out there next season will be January and I am interested in finding out about typical January conditions (regardless of the resort)?

jimk

To refocus, my window of opportunity to be out there next season will be January and I am interested in finding out about typical January conditions (regardless of the resort)?

It's always a crapshoot, but I had a pretty good week in Utah in Jan 2017:
http://www.dcski.com/forum/91448

I think we're still on a hijacking. This thread was about skiing around Lake Louise. :razz:

Skimaine

Went to LL and Sunshine in late January 2018. We had great snow with a big storm our second day at LL. The blue bird the next 4. Coverage was good to start with and two feet of fresh our fist two days set us up for a great trip. As previously note, the weather can be a crap shoot. We stayed 3 nights at LL and 4 in Banff. Not a lot to do in LL but the Chateaux is cool and the food at the mountain is top notch. More non-ski activities in Banff - hot springs, gondola, shopping etc. Sunshine is best skied in the sunshine.

tekweezle

Screenshot_20190424-093808.jpg

Banff seems to be still reporting mid winter temperatures for what it's worth. For those still chasing winter this late in the season, could be a decent landing spot.

SIKSKIER

LL being at the eastern end of the Rockies has a pretty low annual snowfall by western standards.The northern latitude however usually keeps all that they do get.The annual snowfall 20 years ago when I went was listed then under 200 inches.

crazy

LL being at the eastern end of the Rockies has a pretty low annual snowfall by western standards.The northern latitude however usually keeps all that they do get.The annual snowfall 20 years ago when I went was listed then under 200 inches.

Lake Louise is about 160" per season, but like you mention they preserve it well. Plus, you get blower pow in the north-facing back bowls, which is where the real beauty is if you're a skilled skier.

ThinkSnow

Plans have changed and now its mid-February- skiers only. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to staying in Canmore vs. say, Harvie Heights?

Edd

Plans have changed and now its mid-February- skiers only. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to staying in Canmore vs. say, Harvie Heights?

Not familiar with Harvie Heights but I stayed at a HomeAway property in Canmore for six nights, doing day trips to Sunshine, LL, and KH. It’s an easy hour drive to LL. Beautiful, too. Canmore is really nice, IMO. Not as high end as Banff but our place was nice and reasonably priced.