New majority owner of Peak Resorts - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 205
  1. #101
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,889
    I wanted to laugh at this but it's not funny.

    I give Oliver a ton of credit for trying to take the truth and
    make it easier to process with humor.



  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Guess he didn't like the circle jerk?
    Then he shouldn't make repeated ignorant statements.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I wanted to laugh at this but it's not funny.

    I give Oliver a ton of credit for trying to take the truth andmake it easier to process with humor
    The problem is, it's really not "true", at least, not exactly in the way he's trying to frame it.

    It's true that Purdue and a few smaller players were bad actors, so everything in that context is correct.

    But to take that info and then LEAP to the conclusion that this is what caused the opioid & heroin problem is wildly incorrect. It's also incorrect to suggest that tons of people legally prescribed the drug from their physician become junkies. It's a complete misunderstanding of the problem. And if you really want to solve a problem, then it needs to be understood in the first place.

    The simple story that addiction happens all the time when people get opioids for pain is clearly wrong.

    How do we know this — and why is this story so different from the one we hear in the media? For one, the National Household Survey on Drugs has asked about the sources of misused opioids in recent years: this representative survey of tens of thousands of Americans shows that less than a quarter of people who start misusing these drugs obtained them directly from one or multiple doctors. Half of new users, in fact, say they got them from a friend or relative for free.

    Secondly, an early study of people being treated for Oxycontin addiction found that 77 percent of them had also taken cocaine—and it's hard to imagine that this was supplied medically or that these pain patients went out in search of a cocaine dealer once they found out how nice opioids are. In addition, only 3.6 percent of people who misuse prescription opioids ever even try heroin. Although 75 percent of heroin users start with prescription opioids these days, very few prescription opioid users actually go on to heroin addiction. And this, again, speaks to the unlikelihood that many prescription pain patients became addicted to heroin without having had a prior history of drug problems.

    The idea that patients who take medications as prescribed are the cause of this problem is inaccurate. While the media loves to highlight "innocent victims" who became addicted through medicine, the fact is that this group is a minority.
    https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...t-get-addicted
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  4. #104
    Funky_Catskills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hunter, NY
    Posts
    1,214
    This thread is definitely a fukcing haters circle jerk and is the worst..

    Have a great summer everyone!!

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The problem is, it's really not "true", at least, not exactly in the way he's trying to frame it.

    It's true that Purdue and a few smaller players were bad actors, so everything in that context is correct.

    But to take that info and then LEAP to the conclusion that this is what caused the opioid & heroin problem is wildly incorrect. It's also incorrect to suggest that tons of people legally prescribed the drug from their physician become junkies. It's a complete misunderstanding of the problem. And if you really want to solve a problem, then it needs to be understood in the first place.



    https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...t-get-addicted




    My God. See, this is why I absolutely hate people and the internet. You've just admitted that what I said was true, but you took issue with the severity of the reality I described- and that's fine except you used a goddam VICE article written by a C- middle schooler to back it up.

    Even in the damn c&p you posted you don't realize the data you shared agrees with what I said- Those relatives and friends "giving away free Oxys"- WHERE DO YOU SUPPOSE THEY GOT THEM?????? They got them from their doctor, and they had extras because they were over prescribed!

    Honestly, the refusal to assign blame to the only sect of society with control over the substance- and whose job it was to make sure this didn't happen is pathetic, and a huge reason it continues to propagate today. PATHETIC.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    This thread is definitely a fukcing haters circle jerk and is the worst..

    Have a great summer everyone!!


    Right? Ugh. Complete waste.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Do Work View Post

    Even in the damn c&p you posted you don't realize the data you shared agrees with what I said- Those relatives and friends "giving away free Oxys"- WHERE DO YOU SUPPOSE THEY GOT THEM?????? They got them from their doctor, and they had extras because they were over prescribed!
    No, it doesn't, because it's a minority of the people who get hooked. Which you don't understand. As I and a few others have tried to explain to you, most people aren't "innocently" hooked, most people are active drug seekers.

    You also dont understand that most Fentanyl and its' derivatives on the illegal market are coming from OUS sources, not from legally prescribed domestic doctors, OR "given away" after initially legally prescribed.

    Put simply, Rx pills are NOT the major problem (despite what the media breathlessly tells you), the lion's share of the problem is illegal **** on the black market and synthetics from basements and barns.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Do Work View Post
    My God. See, this is why I absolutely hate people and the internet. You've just admitted that what I said was true, but you took issue with the severity of the reality I described- and that's fine except you used a goddam VICE article written by a C- middle schooler to back it up.
    Huh? That article that BG shared was written by an author with some pretty good credentials who has written for many mainstream publications. She's a NY Times Bestselling author as well. Where did you get that it was written by some middle schooler?

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    Are there lawsuits? really? For not being able to control yourself?

    People that suck at skiing and sue ski areas deserve a special place in hell.
    Right next to drug addicts who sue pharmaceutical companies whose products they abused?

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Huh? That article that BG shared was written by an author with some pretty good credentials who has written for many mainstream publications. She's a NY Times Bestselling author as well. Where did you get that it was written by some middle schooler?

    C average middle schooler may have been a bit harsh but if you read my last post your note that while the author attempted to paint the legal pharma sector as blameless by insisting most people got their first dose for free from a friend or family member- but in the same breath trying to say that overprescribing them isn’t the problem... you’ve got a very clear conflict of cause and effect. How else does everyone’s friends and family get all these extra free pills??? Do we just act like it wasn’t a bad doc or bad script because it wasn’t *their* doctor??? It is a disingenuous way to spin that information, IMO.

    Also it’s worth noting that I’m not going to sit here and say doctors did ALL of it, but holy crap guys, how do you think we got this far?? It literally HAD to start with bad scripts. That’s what literally created the market in the first place. I don’t understand how people think we got here without a single bad doc or bad script. It’s mind boggling how hard people are working to absolve the one group of people who had control over this stuff from any responsibility to its blatant and widespread abuse. Sad, really. Then again, integrity is a dying attribute so I can’t really be surprised people are shying from even the slightest shadow of culpability.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:09 PM.